Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,950

1 members and 2,949 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    8) Okay,
    I am saying that I ever will be dealing with or would want to be dealing with hot species of snakes but I must admit that I am interested in learning more about how professional herpetologists actually deal with snakes like Mambas and Gaboon vipers. It is all really interesting and I am becoming aware that there is a whole set of concepts and procedures and lingo involved in dealing with hot species. It is a whole new and fascinating world of herpetology. Where would be a good place for me to start learning about this stuff ??? I have seen practically nothing in the libraries around me on this subject. Perhaps I should do a google search??? :shock: :wink:

This may sound like a naive question, but there are actually snake keepers like ourselves out there that keep stuff like Gaboons and Copperheads...even my beloved EyelashViper...??? how truly fascinating...

EyeLashViper

Banned
    Thanks
    Yeah, a select few. And from all my encounters with them, they're mostly high and mighty jerks. They'll probly tear you a new one if you even mention you like hots. "Hots are dangerous, only the 1337 herpers keep them, don't get them, blah blah blah" They're worse then burm owners in that sense. Basically, if you don't already own one, they don't want you to get one.

If I were you, I'd set myself up with some hot keepers to check out their facilities, tools, cages, etc. Get some 1 on 1 training with them, and learn from them.

If I thought I were ready, I'd go buy all my tongs and cages. Do some real hardcore research and training. Then go buy a copperhead. Only you'll know when you're ready.

Thanks
    I would definitely get some "hands on experience" from a good hot keeper. Getting all the little nuances correct would be the second way to avoid being bitten, the first being never getting hots. Real world experience would seem to me to be the mose important thing when it comes to deadly reptiles.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gotta second what these guys have said. You may find some interesting information on a google search, but the stuff you have to LEARN can only be done first hand. Kingsnake.com has a fairly active hot community, so you can try posting the same question there...but like Godfather says, most of them are arrogant and elitest. But you just might find someone who understands that your interest in learning is genuine and not coming from someone itching to run out and buy a hot because it's cool.

Check out any local zoos or other small animal displays in your area that may have hots. See if you can talk with the keepers there and find someone that could show you the ropes a bit. (It might take some volunteer efforts on your part, such as offering to clean and do other grunt-work for free. ;-) )
    -- Judy

Thanks
    There are several people out there that keep venemous snakes and I have to agree with the advice given so far. Dont even consider owning a hot until you have had sufficient time and training in the proper handling and husbandry.

Eyelashviper... check your PMs.
    Look, sometimes bad things happen, and there is nothing you can do about it, so why worry?
    Simba, The Lion King

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hey thanks everybody for your input !!!
    I guess I should have rephrased my initial sentence in my post to say that I am NOT saying that I ever will be dealing with HOTS ...I am just fascinated with the techniques and lingo and procedures involved in working with venomous species. Actually, I am not really a cowboy at all when it comes to snakes..I am very cautious and respectful of these animals and I even treat my beloved Ball Pythons carefully as one of my BPs "Apok" is not averse to nailing you from time to time...he has a bit of a temper. I think maybe someday in the distant future I WOULD be interested in seeing what is involved in HOT husbandry...I think I would like volunteering at a zoo or reptile lab and see just what the ropes are of working with vipers and elapids.

For right now I am working on developing firm skills at dealing with my constrictors...my BPs and my Columbian Redtail....it is a good base to have of basic snake psychology ( ! ) and husbandry.

EyeLashViper

Thanks
    Step one in developing firm skill in dealing with any snake is learning what is best for it.... that is all inclusive from the proper caging, temperature levels, humidty levels, and the best and SAFEST items to offer them as prey items.
    Look, sometimes bad things happen, and there is nothing you can do about it, so why worry?
    Simba, The Lion King