Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,830

0 members and 2,830 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Newby here with first ball python!

Hello all! My name is Matthew and I recelty got back into keeping reptiles. Many years ago I had to give up my green igauna and a few other lizards because I went into the military. For years I have wanted to get a snake and I finally did my research for several weeks and decided to get a ball python. I have lurked around on this site for a bit and I can see that there are a lot of people here that really know what they are talking about. I found the cutest 10 month old normal ball from my local pet store (that deal mainly with reptiles) and went home and set my tank up. I got an under tank heater and ceramic heater above for basking and of coarse a water dish and hide.

I brougt him/her home and she opened right up and was a blast to hold, she was very interestred in everything. Then later that night she decided to poop and pee all over me and the bed, I think she was just saying she loved me. On day 2 (today) she was a little different, she had a bit of an attitude and even tried to strike at me. Now I hope that is just her still trying to settle in so I pretty much just left her alone. Anyway I hope to meet some really cool people here and I hope to learn a lot from everyone and eventually one day return the favor to another newbie. I do have a few questions though:

How long on average is a settle in time? I hope this bit of aggression won't last because she was so sweet on the first day.

It has been 6 days now since she last fed, should I wait another week for her to settle in, or should I try and feed her tomorrow? She is eating adult mice already.

Thank you everyone in advance for yuour help!!
    When I do feed her for the first time should take her out of the tank, or feed her in the tank? There seems to be a big debate on that here.

Thank you everyone in advance for your help!!
    Last edited by Ronin; 07-12-2013 at 12:53 AM.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Welcome to the site!

I would let her settle in for at least a week before you handle her again. You can try feeding her tomorrow, but don't be too surprised if she doesn't take it. You should feed her right in her cage. Feeding in a separate container will only reduce your chances of a successful feeding, and increase the chances of you getting tagged.

If you haven't already check out these 2 threads:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...t-Thermometers

Do you have a thermostat for your under tank heater? What type of thermometers are you using?

More info on why you should feed your BP in her cage:

Here is the reason why feeding a snake in a separate container increases your chances of getting bit...

You have to handle/move a hungry/just fed snake into/from said separate container. This is just asking to get bit, plus chances are you have been handling rodents so your hands probably smell like a rodent to the snake.

Moving a snake to a separate container also has the potential to stress the snake which can lead to the snake refusing to eat (not that BP's really need an excuse not to eat lol)

There are only 2 reasons to feed a snake in a separate container and both can be dismissed.

1. People think that feeding a snake in its cage will make it aggressive. Simply put this is a myth with no merit what so ever most if not all big breeders feed their snake in their cages as do most of the vets here on this site. If there was an issue with doing so all of these people would stop.

A BP isn't going to associate your hand with food, especially if you use tongs to feed your snake(s). A BP uses multiple sense to determine what is and isn't food. Your hand on their own aren't going to trigger a feeding response. Most of the time when people are bit by a BP it is a defensive strike, and not a feeding strike. The difference is a defensive strike is just a bite without any coiling (constriction) where as a feeding strike involves constriction as the snake is trying to eat what it just struck at.

2. People are afraid of substrate ingestion. While this point does have some merit it too can be dismissed. A Bp can ingest some substrate without having any issues. Impaction due to substrate ingestion is extremely rare. Simply keeping an eye on the snake during feeding will keep this from becoming an issue.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 07-12-2013 at 01:08 AM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    she strike at u when u went to grab her in the tank??
    1.1 het pied ,1.1 pastel,1. butter, .1 spider , .1 fire ph ghost , .1 pastave

Thanks
    Sounds like a stressed BP to me. Give her a week to settle in. Don't handle any more. I wouldn't bother with feeding, myself, but you can try if you want. Offer in-cage, make sure if you're offering F/T it's plenty warm (not hot, but warm, it should be warm to the touch and not cold or hard when you press your thumb up under the rib cage). If that UTH isn't regulated, I would make that your first priority. She'll be okay for another week without food, especially if she's already got some decent weight on her. A properly fed 10 month old BP (Assuming she's been eating) should be on much more than just adult mice, unless they're very large adult mice. I would probably guess she could be on small (40-60 gram) rats once a week.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

Thanks

Re: Newby here with first ball python!

Thank you for the replies. Yes she tried to strike at me but I think I startled her when I lifted her hide. I will leave her alone for another week and then try to feed her next Monday or Tuesday.

What type of thermostat would youpguys recommend? I don't have one right now.

Thanks
    Any Herpstat from Spyder Robotics is going to be your number 1 answer here... I have two more family events to get through before ordering mine but it's coming. In the meantime while money is a little tight, I use a hydrofarm, purchased from Amazon for about $32 with free shipping.

Thanks
    x2. I use a Herpstat 1 and it is perfect. They will run you about $115 though, but it'll be the only one you'll ever need (IMO) for your one snake. It's a very worthwhile investment and if you ever decide you want to get a rack and more snakes, your Herpstat can run a rack perfectly easily.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

Thanks
    Does anyone use or recommend this?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Some people really like those, while other people hate them. I would say that they are unnecessary for a ball python unless you live in an extremely dry area. There are much easier/cheaper ways to increase the humidity in your cage.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

[QUOTE=The Serpent Merchant;210Some people really like those, while other people hate them. I would say that they are unnecessary for a ball python unless you live in an extremely dry area. There are much easier/cheaper ways to increase the humidity in your cage.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I might actually give this a try, I for some reason having a hard time keeping the humidity above 40%. What are some easier or other ways to keep the humidity up, other than using a spray bottle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast