Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,529

2 members and 2,527 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

about to give up and feed them off! helppp

ok well going back a little bit ago i made a post about my males castrating each other well i got that mess fixed. currently i have three 10 gallon tanks each with one male and various females. I had one set up with a colony i got from my breeder. it had 1.2 well both females were supposed to be preg, and only turned out once was. She had 14 babys, and 10 got ate and killed by the time i noticed that day. Immediately i pulled the other female out and the male. By the next morning the mom ate the last 4!!! i was so angry. I then put the 2 females back together and swapped out males. In another tank i saw a female was preg, well yesterday again by the time her babys were born all but one got killed/ate. I then took the one living out and fed it off to my baby gtp. This is so frustrating! they always have food (dog food same brand my breeder uses and not cheap crap good high protein. they always have water, and they have a hide. I now also have 6 rats im giving a try at. If these mice dont stop this im feeding all of them off and saying the heck with it. can someone help please? Thats just when for some reason there isnt random fighting going on or i dont find one dead.

Thanks

Re: about to give up and feed them off! helppp

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarbass1 View Post
    ok well going back a little bit ago i made a post about my males castrating each other well i got that mess fixed. currently i have three 10 gallon tanks each with one male and various females. I had one set up with a colony i got from my breeder. it had 1.2 well both females were supposed to be preg, and only turned out once was. She had 14 babys, and 10 got ate and killed by the time i noticed that day. Immediately i pulled the other female out and the male. By the next morning the mom ate the last 4!!! i was so angry. I then put the 2 females back together and swapped out males. In another tank i saw a female was preg, well yesterday again by the time her babys were born all but one got killed/ate. I then took the one living out and fed it off to my baby gtp. This is so frustrating! they always have food (dog food same brand my breeder uses and not cheap crap good high protein. they always have water, and they have a hide. I now also have 6 rats im giving a try at. If these mice dont stop this im feeding all of them off and saying the heck with it. can someone help please? Thats just when for some reason there isnt random fighting going on or i dont find one dead.

Once you see they are prego remove the male, that's what I do atleast, on average I'm having about 500 babies a month. Because they were first time mothers try them again. mothers get stressed out, try adding some stuff too their food. Go down to a local farm store and ask if they Cary a rodent block if not ask for hog grower. I get a 50lb bag for14$ and I have had maybe 10 babies get eaten.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've gone through this too and yes it can be very frustrating. Try keeping them in a very quiet area in complete darkness. It seems to help calm them down. Mice can be EXTREMELY nervous and some will eat their babies at the slightest provocation. If all else fails, feed everything off and start over with fresh stock from a different source. Some lines of mice are much better at reproducing then others. Look around to see if you can find someone breeding Swiss Webster mice, the seem to do pretty well typically.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

Go to rats much easier and rats are alot nicer and alot healthier (higher protein, cleaner) then mice at least in my opinion I have a few mice kept around for hoppers for my hatchlings but asap I switch them to rats..

Thanks
    the mice are in my snake room no one goes in there besides me. no feed places near me have any lab lock feed for rodents near me. closest place is over an hour away. any pig feed i can find is small pellets. and yes currently i have 6 rats im growing. if the mice dont get it straight they are getting fed off. i cant pull the male everytime i find a preg female. that would be pointless having 8 females with 1 male. i mind as well do a 1.1 set up then.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarbass1 View Post
    the mice are in my snake room no one goes in there besides me. no feed places near me have any lab lock feed for rodents near me. closest place is over an hour away. any pig feed i can find is small pellets. and yes currently i have 6 rats im growing. if the mice dont get it straight they are getting fed off. i cant pull the male everytime i find a preg female. that would be pointless having 8 females with 1 male. i mind as well do a 1.1 set up then.

Run 1.6 as soon as you see pinkies or they are about too pop pull the male, I'm offering to help and suggesting what works for me. I produce over 500 pinkies ATM a month.

Thanks

Get yourself ASFs and forget about mice. ASFs have way less odor

Thanks

feed them off and buy new ones once you get some good breeders going every thing goes good