Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,725

1 members and 2,724 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Best UTH?

Thanks

Best UTH?

Hello everyone!

I'm working on setting up my first snake enclosure and need advice on UTHs. I've been keeping crested geckos for about 5 years now, but have wanted to try keeping a snake for quite a while. I've decided to go with a hognose (if I can find one...a BP if a hog is not available) and am buying all the supplies I need before I acquire the snake.

I have 2 tanks available to use for this project, a 10gl and 20gl long and need advice on what brand / size of UTH would be best for either tank. I will most likely setup both and then use the most appropriately sized one based on which animal I bring home (going to repticon Atlanta at the end of the month, so not sure what will be available there). I will be using a thermostat with the UTH and plan on using a thermometer w/ probe and an infrared temp gun also to monitor temps in the setup.

The only UTHs I've found, other than the zoomed ones, are the intellitemp ones sold by bigappleherp...I do not know if these are a good product..according to their website, these are safer because they do not get as hot as the other UTHs. If you can give me an opinion on these, or recommend another brand that would also be a good choice and which sizes I would need for each tank that would be great.

I also have one other question regarding UTHs... if one is attached to the bottom of a glass terrarium, what types of surfaces are safe to put it on? Would a finished wood surface (i.e. desk) be safe, or is there a risk of these getting so hot they could cause a fire on a wooden surface?

Thank you for your time and help!
    Artgecko

Thanks

Re: Best UTH?

any really what u need is to regulate the temp on it so u would need a thermostat something it pluggs into and u set the temp on it other wise the uth is just gonna get as hot as it can or i believe zoo med sells a uth with a dial on it to controll the heat u can look into that
    1.1 het pied ,1.1 pastel,1. butter, .1 spider , .1 fire ph ghost , .1 pastave

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Intellitemp is its own brand zoo med makes reptitherm.

I believe intellitemp to be better than most there is no need for a UTH to get over 100ºF so the lower density units like intellitemp (ultratherm, reptitherm to a lesser degree, and Kane although they are the premium UTH and over kill most of the time they are very costly.)

I personally have not used intellitemp but others rave about them I use ultratherms and exoterra RAINFOREST ones (they suck I don't recommend them I am switching)

the thing to look for is low wattage and temps to stay under 100ºF this greatly minimizes the chance to burn if the T-stat fails. Some units will get over 130ºF + these I would avoid completely.

YOU NEED A THERMOSTAT! regardless of the UTH you need a thermostat. It is the principal thing that protects the health of your pet. I highly recommend a good one.

My preferences are
    any herpstat (HS one or greater is the best of the best but any are very very good)
    Ecozone
    Herpkeeper
    Helix
    VE300D
    the rest of the VEs
    Johnson or Ranco (on or off thermostats simply not as good as the proportional units that deliver exactly the temp you set rather than averaging the temp you set with max power no power cycles)
    the rest I would not recommend the accuracy is beyond acceptable IMO (anything over two degrees off and still acceptable by the manufacturer is not good enough for me although so accept up to 7º off of correct but I do not.)

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies!

I'll check out the intellitemp, ultratherm and reptitherm units. I am planning on getting a thermostat, but I don't think I can afford a herpstat atm. I was looking at a hydrofarm or the big apple herp bah1000DC.. Both are around the $30 - $45 price range. They are not proportional, but I figure if I use my thermometer and temp gun religiously and set up everything in advance and make adjustments before I get the snake I should be ok... especially if going with a lower powered uTH. I may be able to save up and purchase a herpstat around christmas, so hopefully this will do until then.

would a 9.8 x 5.9 10watt Mat be suitable for a 10gl? also, would a 13.8 x 7.9 20 watt mat work for a 20gl long?

Thanks again for your advice!
    Artgecko

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    A UTH should be around 1/3 the surface so a 9.8x5.9 might be big, about 1/2 I would look at smaller. The 20gal should be fine with a 13.8x8 unit. 10 and 20w seem high to me the ultratherms I have are larger 11x11 and only 15w. What ever unit is that size I might look to a lower wattage one unless it is internally regulated.

THe herpstats start at 100$ twice what you are look at.

Hydrofarms are hugely inaccurate the manufacturer lists the specs at (after you pester them forever) +/-4ºF with 3º additionally of hysteresis (how far over and under the set point it runs) this makes a 7º over the correct or 7º under correct possibility IF it is 100% correct according to the manufacturer. Personally many accept this kind of range (14ºF) I do not. Setting a thermostat at 90º I can live with 98-91ºF But have a hard time swallowing 83-97ºF. The only way I'd recommend a hydrofarm is if it is used with a accurate thermometer one that is certified and has specs of +/-1ºF or better. The stupid part of this is a thermometer that meets this is more expensive than a herpstat. This is my personal feeling on them. It is the one thing that insures health of a reptile over all others correct temps.

The big apple unit sounds better to me but again NO specs. What are they? You will have to ask Big Apple for the accuracy +/- ??? and what the hysteresis is. If you get anything worse than 2ºF with a 1ºF hysteresis I would avoid it. This is the specs for the Ranco and Johnson.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

mondiobulldogs (05-02-2017)

Thanks
    Would the 9.8 x 5.9 work if turned the other way? (i.e. 9.8" going the depth of the tank that is 12" and 5.9" going the length of the tank that is 20"?) That would be a little less than 1/3 of the length of the tank... I went ahead and ordered it just in case I cannot find another smaller unit somewhere. I've done some google searches and can't find anyone selling an ultratherm smaller than 11 x 6"...7watt capacity.. Maybe they do not make a smaller unit than that.

I went ahead and ordered the BAH thermostat as well. I will look at the specs on the unit when I get it and email BAH if they don't have any on the packaging and let you know.

I never knew that heating could be such a complex issue.

Thanks again for your advice!
    Artgecko

Thanks
    The BAH thermostat packaging says that it is accurate within + / - 2 degrees f. No information on hysteresis. I have not setup the cage and heating mat / thermostat yet, so cannot verify that information.

I went ahead and ordered the smallest reptitherm (zoomed) heat mat (the 4 watt model). So I will have that to use if the other unit is too large for a 10gl.

Artgecko