Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,912

6 members and 2,906 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hold for pickup question

So, I have shipped snakes to be held for pickup at the FedEx facility before, and always required that they be picked up by 10:30am (if they are delivered on time, of course). But right now I have a customer who wants to pick up after work, around 3:30 pm. What are your thoughts on this? It makes me a little nervous, especially because I have never done it that way and I'm not sure where they are kept at the FedEx facility while they wait. But, I do have some phase 22 packs...I could use one of those if it would help ensure the temps stayed moderate.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Hold for pickup question

Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
    So, I have shipped snakes to be held for pickup at the FedEx facility before, and always required that they be picked up by 10:30am (if they are delivered on time, of course). But right now I have a customer who wants to pick up after work, around 3:30 pm. What are your thoughts on this? It makes me a little nervous, especially because I have never done it that way and I'm not sure where they are kept at the FedEx facility while they wait. But, I do have some phase 22 packs...I could use one of those if it would help ensure the temps stayed moderate.
    I've done hold for pickup a time or two, and when I went to pick them up they were inside the office building thing. I'm not sure if this is the case with all of the packages so don't quote me on it, but generally they're placed nearby the office so they know where to look to get the packages. I'm not sure if you'd want to make any kind of guarantees because you don't know where exactly it's kept at.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts

Hold for pickup question

I pretty much only have my packages held at the hub. My FedEx drivers are terrible about tossing around packages and just leaving them at my door. They always have my packages indoors just around the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Marissa~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by missriss2012 View Post
    I pretty much only have my packages held at the hub. My FedEx drivers are terrible about tossing around packages and just leaving them at my door. They always have my packages indoors just around the corner. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by treeboa; 07-07-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks

I have received several snakes from a "hold at pick up" option. When I went to pick them up, they were in the main receiving area in the air conditioning. The first time the box was sitting on the front counter by the register and the second snake was off in a side room because the attendant was afraid of what was in the box. But both animals were inside.

Thanks

When you ship Hold for Pickup to a FedEx facility, the box is typically kept in a temperate room inside the facility. There is little concern for extreme temp exposure, either hot or cold.

Ideally your recipient is able to pick up the package early in the day, just to cut down on box time and stress for the animal, but there shouldn't be a lot of concern over temp issues if they come later in the afternoon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Robyn@SYR For This Useful Post:

Shadera (07-27-2013)

Thanks
    I can't speak as a shipper, but as a buyer if I've spent the time finding just the right animal, committed to buying it, having it shipped, and setting up everything at home to prepare for it, I take a couple hours off work to go pick it up at the hold facility and get it settled in asap. It doesn't make sense to leave it sitting there.
    -Devon

0.1 Axanthic Bee (Pixel)
    0.2 Axanthic Pastel (Cornelia, Short Round)
    0.1 Axanthic (Bubbles)
    0.1 Bee het Axanthic (Nipper)
    0.1 Lesser (Lydia)
    0.1 het Lavender (Poppy)
    0.1 het Hypo (Cookie)
    1.0 Killerbee het Axanthic (Yellow Dude)
    1.0 Pied (Starry Starry Dude)
    1.0 Butter Hypo (Spooky Dude)
    1.0 PH Lavender (Little Dude)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Badgemash For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (07-27-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Badgemash View Post
    I can't speak as a shipper, but as a buyer if I've spent the time finding just the right animal, committed to buying it, having it shipped, and setting up everything at home to prepare for it, I take a couple hours off work to go pick it up at the hold facility and get it settled in asap. It doesn't make sense to leave it sitting there.
    Good point. I have one arriving this Tuesday (Happy Birthday To Me!), did the hold for pickup, and I've already told my boss that I will be coming in late that day.

Thanks

Best thing to do here is call FedEx and, ask to get a call back from the manager at his hub that it will be held at. Explain to them that it is a live harmless reptile and it can't be left in the facility to cook to death. Ask if it can be held in a office or something till pick up. There facilities aren't a problem it's the drivers because they are forced to be rushed.
    -Brian-

Thanks
    I recently had my hog island shipped to me by having it held for pickup at the fedex office. I had no problems whatsoever, and I didn't get her until 4pm or so. I have to work 12 hour days monday-friday, so I had to go in at 4am to accomplish this, but it was worth it

She was waiting inside in the nice and cool AC
    1.0 Pied 0.1 Pied het Albino
    1.0 Albino het Pied 0.1 Hog Island Boa
    0.1 het Albino, 50% het Pied 0.1 Black lab