Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,866

0 members and 2,866 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Is there a practical and cheap way to lower the temp and keep the temp down on the cold side of the tub? My sisters corn needs to lower the temp on the cold side by about 5 degrees and keep it that way. Its 80ish on both side and I want the cool side down around 75. I'm also assuming 80-85 on the hotside and 75ish on the cold side is ok?
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake *Princess Elysia*
    0.1 Miami Phase Cornsnake *Leila*
    0.1 Ball Python *Boo*

Thanks
    Is she using a light to heat or an under tank heater? What kind of substrate? The substrate can actually change your temps quite a bit depending on your heating method.
    1.0 Green tree python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    UTH but its not on right now *thermostat is keeping it off because its already in the low 80's in my room without it on* Hence the problem. Its 80 on both sides and I can't cool the cold side down at all. I'm only using Newspaper right now.
    0.1 Ball Python *Boo*

Thanks
    wow, low 80s huh? No airconditioning?
    Does it have a humid hide? Corns are pretty fogiving in a husbandry sense. If you have a humid hide or some other method for him to cool off if he needs to I think you will be fine (ie water bowl, thick substrate to burrow in, humid hide). You might want to consider a loose substrate for him, corns love to burrow. If ya get the chance give echo earth a try. I have recently gotten some and I now swear by it.
    1.0 Green tree python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I can't have airconditioning in my room, it drops the temps too much in the tubs, not too much of an issue for this tub but my MBK needs to maintain the 88-93 hotside 80ish cold side.

I have eco earth right now, but its not drying out as fast as I hoped. Been putting it out in the sun the last few days and its still not all the way dry. It doesnt have a humid hide but it does have a nice big waterbowl if she wants to go for a swim.
    0.1 Ball Python *Boo*

Thanks
    Echo earth can be a pain that way. I ended up spreading mine on a cookie sheet and sticking it in the oven. I left the oven door open a crack to let the moisture out. Seemed to work pretty well.

edit: oh and my king loves the stuff! he used to hide all day and now I catch him out exploring and burrowing all the time
    1.0 Green tree python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I was going to put it in the oven but wasnt sure whether to bake it or broil it or what and for how long and what temp so I decided to put it outside.

Any other thoughts on how to cool down the one side? I tried an icepack underneath but it only dropped the temp on the coldside about 2 degrees for about 30min>_<
    0.1 Ball Python *Boo*

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'm only guessing, but I wonder if you were to add more ventilation holes if that would work? But then again, I guess the cool side is not going to go any lower than the temp of your room. Hmmmmm....I wonder if you pointed a small fan towards the cool side? Sorry, that's all I can think of and I'm not sure how much that will work if at all.

Or you could go ahead and use the a/c since it helps with the corns tub and then just use 2 heat pads for Elysia (one for the cool side and one for the warm side set on the appropriate temps).

Just throwing out ideas...
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

whats wrong with rex?!?!

LOL, I would definitely turn on the A/C. There's no need for you to live at the same temperatures as your snakes. It's also much easier to add heat than to take it away.
    ~40 Ball Pythons (mostly Freeway/Asphalt, Bongo, GHI, and Leopard combos)
    3.8.3 Green Tree Pythons (mostly TM/TW blueline, a few Highland/Wamena)
    1.2 Children's Pythons
    1.2 Cay Caulker Boas
    1.2 Black Fuli House Snakes
    1.0.4 Amazon Tree Boas (1x tiger, 3x halloween garden, 1x garden)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well I wouldn't mind using 2 heat pads, except for right now the only space I have in my room, that is until I get a better rack that will hold my tubs, is on a stand in front of the AC lol So I can't turn it on right now or it will go full blast on the corns tank. And some days really don't need an AC here like today will be 75, but more then likely will stay around 80 in my room.
    0.1 Ball Python *Boo*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast