Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,755

0 members and 2,755 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Banned
    Thanks
    Hey kids,
    I am going to start working on an Amazon Tree Boa cage I will be building for my aunt as a retirement gift.
    I am building it from regular plywood and wire mesh, does that sound alright?
    It will be 6 feet tall, 3 feet wide, and 3 feet long.
    I just remembered humidity, the back will be plywood, the sides will be covered in screen, and the whole front side will be a door with a smaller door on it.
    It the wood will be stained (to look pretty) and then coated with polyeurethane.
    The top will obviously be square mesh for lights.
    Alright...
    Just thought I'd post 'cause I'm bored...
    Bye.

-collin

Thanks

Uploading help

cool your aunt is a herper too eh?
    With mesh sides your humidity isnt going to get high enough. The problem with ATB's are they need a high humidity (75-80). They also need fresh air so its kind of a catch 22.

A 3x3x6 sounds like a cool enclosure although they really dont need it that tall it would still be an awesome display peace. Be careful when your building it though! I am building an enclosure and it just occured to me that when it is fully constructed, I wont be able to get it through the doorway lol.

If the plywood is pine make sure to seel the indside as well. Pine (and other pungent woods) can cause nerve damage to retiles.

good luck and let us know how it goes!
    1.0 Green tree python

Thanks
    You might be able to get all fancy and grab one of those small humidifiers at wall mart and set it inside the cage at the bottom. Some will let you set the humidity at a desired level, maybe build a screened in "snake guard" around it so the abt can't actually touch the humidifier.........other than that, I am stumped for how to control the humidity with the walls being screen. It would run quite a bit, but would most likely keep your humidity where it needs to be.

Thanks
    Is the cage you're building something like this? If you can see what I mean, a little humidifier in the middle on the floor would probably work like a charm, just make sure the stain or paint you use can handle moisture..........

Banned
    Thanks
    Yea, that looks a lot like it.
    What wood should I use?
    I got regular wood from Home Depot (to uild the frame).
    And what if the back was just wood, the top had screen for lights, the walls to the left and right from when you look into the cage from in front of it had plexi-glass for humidity.
    And the wall that is a door with a snaller door on it could be mesh.
    Sound good to you guys?
    Yea, my aunt likes herps a lot.
    My cousin (her daughter) has an iguana (Gollum), a five foot columbian red tail (BO), a male and a female Ball Python (Roscoe and Love), and an albino corn snake(Princess).
    She is getting a Jungle Carpet python for her graduation present, she just graduated, so sometime soon she will be getting her Jungle Carpet Python.
    And if she graduates college with honors, her mom is getting her a Pie-bald.
    And my aunt is getting a Water Monitor, a Russian Tortoise, and an Amazon Tree Boa when she retires.
    At least that's waht she said, but for sure she's getting the Amazon Tree Boa, and she's gonna leave it to my cousin in her will most likely.
    Same with the rest...but when I grow up I am getting a Savannah Monitor for sure.
    When I grow up, I will most likely still be breedoing spotted turtles.
    I also plan to get a blue-tongued skink and a bearded dragon or two.
    Of course for me, thatr's not for another 10 years or so.
    I'm 14.
    Sorry for the long post, when I get ionto talking about something, I never stop.
    But I'm gonna try to stop now.
    Ok, I'm done.
    goodbye.

-collin