Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,190

3 members and 3,187 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Stealing company name? How to prevent/stop?

How do you prevent some one from using your business name? If you want to be the only one, you would have to get it LLCed or something correct? Ok so say if I made up a company name BRT Reptiles and I got the website Brtreptiles.com. I mean just because I own the website name doesn't mean that I would own the business name. So how do you stop this or prevent this? Thanks
    Last edited by Diamond Serpents; 07-03-2013 at 03:37 PM.
    -Brian-

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    In Canada at least the name needs to be registered and someone using your registered name can be brought to copyright or the business board that will go after the infringement. The other thing is they cannot ever register or use the name as a legit business.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Diamond Serpents (07-03-2013)

Thanks

Re: Stealing company name? How to prevent/stop?

Thank you, I live in the US but I'm sure its close to the same thing. Some ones gotta know where or who I have to contact to register my company name and logo so it doesn't get used.
    -Brian-

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BTennant View Post
    Thank you, I live in the US but I'm sure its close to the same thing. Some ones gotta know where or who I have to contact to register my company name and logo so it doesn't get used.
    I would honestly say google some copyright stuff, that way you get an idea. If you can't get any help there maybe go through the phone book for lawyers?
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts
    If you don't own the copyrights to it, you don't own anything. Anyone can then use it, and even copyright it out from under you. They'd be required to notify you about it, and then given appropriate time sue you for continued use.

I don't remember if its a lot, but go ahead and copyright it. Then, you have legal grounds to make someone else not use it.

Thanks
    http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/

I was wrong, it's yours if you create it first. However, you can't do anything about it without registering.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
    No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”
    Last edited by Kodieh; 07-03-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks
    Annnd, trademark not copyright.

How do I copyright my business name? Which form do I use?
    Names, titles, short phrases, and slogans are not copyrightable. You may have protection under the federal trademark laws. Contact the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 800-786-9199, for more information.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kodieh For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Realistically you can't stop it(Look at how much time and money Apple spends suing the pants off of everyone and being sued). And, it wouldn't even be worth the legal fees unless you are in the major league breeder group.
    What is stopping someone say in Canada or the UK from opening their business and using let's say BHB Reptiles as their name, even if those actually are the founders initials? The likely response from potential customers thinking you'd pulled a bit of a D-bag move with that name selection.

The first order of business would be imho, building the name. Make it recognisable and virtually synonymous with customer service. (No one in these parts will consider messing with Markus Jayne Reptiles for example, running under even a similar name would paint that business as shady for trying to use a well known persons credentials to further your own agenda)

One thing you should do however is register your business. Here we can easily get a small business licence, I am guessing you have something similar there.
    It may also be a good idea to discuss your plans with an accountant, that small fee could pay for itself quickly if you can take advantage of legal tax-breaks most of use average joes or janes aren't overly familiar with.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Raven01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is exactly what I was looking for and couldn't find kn here or google thank you two for the information. I have my name picked out like I said and I do want to have things up and running before 2014.
    -Brian-

Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,214 Posts

My first two suggestions would be to either lick it or pee on it. No one will want it if you lick and if you pee on something it's automatically yours. If you want added insurance, lick it AND pee on it. Preferably in that order, though I suppose that's up to you.

Sent from microwave via Tapatalk ll
    Balls:
    *0.1 Mojave *0.1 Pinstripe *0.1 Bumblebee *1.0 Super pastel butter *1.0 Mojave orange ghost *0.3 100% het orange ghosts *0.1 Pastel 50% het orange ghost *1.1 PE Lemonback fires *1.0 Fire *0.1 Pastel *1.0 Albino *0.1 Spider 100% het albino
    Other critters:
    *1.0 Anery motley corn *G. rosea tarantula *G. pulchripes *P. metallica *0.0.2 A. versicolor *C. cyaneopubescens *A. geniculata *B. smithi *B. boehmei *Nhandu chromatus *H. maculata *C. marshalli *1.0 Australian shepherd mix

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coleslaw007 For This Useful Post:

Badgemash (08-29-2013),Kodieh (07-11-2013),Shadera (07-07-2013)