Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 886

0 members and 886 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Ball Python Not Eating

Hot Side Temperature- 90-95*
    Cold Side Temperature- 80-85*
    Humidity- 50%
    Had him for about 3 months, Probably a year old
    2 Hides one on Hot side other on cold, water dish, leafs for hiding, branch in the middle for climbing.
    Any more information needed just ask,
    Alright, My albino ball python, Helios, has been eating amazing! I feed him live, since he doesn't take F/T but, it works and I watch him like a hawk, he has been growing amazing! Then around about a month or two ago, he ate a rat pup, shed, and doesn't eat at all, I offer him live food once a week, and it seems like he ignores it, doesn't even want it.. I know it's super common for ball pythons to fast, and I know I shouldn't worry, I'm just curios as what should I do to get him back on?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated,
    Thank you for your time,
    Billy Nicholas

Thanks

Ball Python Not Eating

I have 5 bp total right now and 2 of them have been eating great. The other 3 have pretty much been off food since November. My one girl finally took her first last week. I just try to feed my problem ones every other week. They haven't lost too much weight so I am not too concerned. It's all just a waiting game. As long as it isn't losing weight rapidly I wouldn't worry and just wait it out.
    0.1 Lesser
    1.1 Pastel
    0.1 Black Pastel
    0.1.1 Normal

Thanks
    I have a two year old 1.0 pinstripe that was eating great for me but has stopped since last November. He's eaten f/t since I got him and try every other week. My other three are good to go now that my 1.0 pastel started eating in the last three feedings. He just runs away and hides. He's lost only about 100 or so grams, still moves around to regulate his body temp like usual, pees, etc., etc., etc. Luckily my 0.1 Bumblebee is a pig because if the pin doesn't eat it, she will. He's really starting to piss me off with this. What's the longest you guys have had a BP go off feed and how much weight did it lose during that time?
    1.0 Boxer (Boba…@bobatheboxer on IG)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Blaming the leader of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their leader."
    ~unknown~
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    SUPPORT OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Has he been noticably losing weight? I would buy a scale and track his weight. If he's not losing any, then don't worry. If he's losing weight, though, I would re-visit your husbandry. If he's not losing weight that's a normal fast and you'll just have to wait him out. Offer maybe once a week. Since you feed live, just buy a small enclosure for the feeder and keep it alive between offerings.

I have a male that's going on 10 months without regular feeding. I've gotten him to take after he sheds, but since those are every 2-3 months he's only had 3 or 4 meals since last September. It's frustrating, yes, but they do it. Especially males. Just double-check your temps and everything and keep offering every week. Though I haven't even been offering to mine except after he sheds because he's been staying in a 5-gram range after he poops and before he sheds again.
    Last edited by Inarikins; 07-03-2013 at 12:27 AM.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Not Eating

Quote Originally Posted by unholyterror16 View Post
    I offer him live food once a week, and it seems like he ignores it, doesn't even want it.
    Was there anything, and I mean anything at all, different about the rats you've been giving him and the ones he's being offered now (assuming nothing else in his environment like substrate, cage furniture, room he's in etc has changed)? One of my snakes WILL NOT eat rats that are white, he acts like he can't see them. I know another that will only eat female rats. Any abrupt change in size can throw them off too, such as moving from pups to smalls. And sometimes they're just subborn jerks, and you have to out-stubborn them.
    -Devon

0.1 Axanthic Bee (Pixel)
    0.2 Axanthic Pastel (Cornelia, Short Round)
    0.1 Axanthic (Bubbles)
    0.1 Bee het Axanthic (Nipper)
    0.1 Lesser (Lydia)
    0.1 het Lavender (Poppy)
    0.1 het Hypo (Cookie)
    1.0 Killerbee het Axanthic (Yellow Dude)
    1.0 Pied (Starry Starry Dude)
    1.0 Butter Hypo (Spooky Dude)
    1.0 PH Lavender (Little Dude)

BPnet Veteran Coopers Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'd get your temps to 90* on the hotspot and 80* on the cool side. Remember, replicate their habitat in Africa and you will be perfectly fine.
    Last edited by Coopers Constrictors; 07-03-2013 at 03:22 AM.
    Best Regards,

Jeremy Cooper
    Cooper's Constrictors

Website / Facebook