Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 820

2 members and 818 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    ^ I sent you a private message, that would be wonderful. I

Thanks
    My humidity atm says 12%, I can't image this being right.. I have a little bowl of water, then a big bowl of water and I also mist.. it goes up some but then right back down..

My snake just ate tonight (first time feeding him, got him 6 days ago) and I heard they wouldn't eat without the right humidity in the air so.. hopefully it's just the sensor that is wrong.. I'm going to buy a higher wattage bulb because I need his warm side to be a little hotter but, I have friends who own ball pythons at work who say they don't monitor the humidity at all and there snakes have shed, fed, pretty much are healthy snakes that they have owned for quite awhile now. Am I just worrying to much about this humidity thing?

Thanks
    Evening Tim... Try wetting a kitchen towel and laying it over about 3/4 of the top screen. Short term fix but a good way to bring in humidity. 12% is incredibly low.. Hard to know if it's accurate but I'm in the desert in California and I've seen numbers that low as well.

Are you worrying too much? I couldn't say as I've been exactly where you are quite recently and the humidity thing about drove me to drink.

Thanks

Re: Help with my Ball Pythons cage set up.

yeah, the humidity thing is killing me. The temperature is a little low onr the hot side but, thankfully an awesome member here is hooking me up with a thermostat for the heat pad and it will be able to be on more then what It is now.

I currently have cardboard wrapped in tinfoil setting on top of the scree cage, covering about 3/4 of the tank, with a wet cloth on top of that. \

I love my little guy, they take a lot of care for and once I get everything right with this one, I'm really going to look into getting another one Didn't realize how addicting it would actually be after I got my first

Thanks
    Once you get your thermostat and turn the UTH back on, you can also try putting a wider, shallower water bowl partially over the UTH to augment evaporation and increase the humidity that way. If you decide to do that, make sure the screen above the bowl is part of the covered portion.
    -Brendan

Thanks

Re: Help with my Ball Pythons cage set up.

Heres my set up to help you. Here are the basics i go by:

Accurite stays on cool side while probe is attached to bottom above the hat pad. Heat pad is attached to thermostat. I have a 50 watt heat bulb to raise the air temp and the heat pad stays at 92 degrees. I mist every other night and my humidity stays at 50-60% even with the light because i use cypress mulch bedding and i cover half the screen with plexiglass which keeps moisture and heat in on the cooler side. Cooler side is always atleast 80 degrees. I have 2 identical hides so my snake just does not pick the tightest hide and stay on one side.

Hope i helped a little.. Good luck! I am a new ball python owner too.. But i do have other snakes so i have some experience.

Thanks
    I have the carboard wrapped tinfoil l now, a bigger water bowl + her small one + I mist in there. it still only says 15-20% so this has gotta be wrong..

her eyes look almost dry.. even though I do everything I've been told, I even gave her a warm bath for a few minutes even though she didn't seem to like it at all, kept trying to get out.

Hopefully I didn't stress her out so much it causes a problem...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    My ball is in my living room that is usually 68. Its a forty gallon glass tank with foil covered top with a large window for the heat from a 100 watt che and a 60 watt bulb can pass through. Humidity is impossible to keep up how it is. What I did instead of misting every day several times a day is make my hides humid hides. I did nothing more than put miss in the hides and now I mist them and let it dry back out. During a shed I keep it nice and damp. That paired with misting time to time has given me perfect sheds even though the cage humidity is around 30-40%.

I also like the moss because it gives the hide a tighter more secure feel.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Help with my Ball Pythons cage set up.

During sheds I also put damp moss under the hide that was above the UTH to assist with sheds.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234