Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,811

3 members and 2,808 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

This is so frustrating

Everybody knows about scammers, or so I thought.
    My gf sent me an email today asking what I thought about this horse (she's been looking to buy one to keep in a nearby stable). She forwards me the email and some pictures. I'll attach below.

thanks for your mail.
    my mare is 8yrs old and 16.2hh tall.she has all her medical record
    positive and all papers.
    i have loved pets all my life and has ridden horse for more than
    30years now and i love this my little mare so much because i have
    spent more time training her and she is more of a child to me.i am a
    pet lover i have her because she gives me joy and happiness i
    will like to give her out only to families that will show her love and
    care.she is well vaccinated and trained.i will like to give her out
    but for adoption and i will not like to sell her because i don't want
    that some body should buy her and later on maltreat her because he/she
    bought her.i am looking only for homes that can provide my mare with
    care and love.Here in my new location California where i have been sent
    by my company to work they have provide me with good car as one of our
    legal rules in the company and they will not want me to ride horse and
    go to work,my company house which is the supposed house for workers to
    stay does not welcome horse so i am confused because i am madly in
    love with my mare and my company have giving me some time to re home
    my mare so i decided that i will only give her to some one from my
    previous home back .And when this time elapses when i have not dispose
    the horse i might loss my job and i cannot loss my job for i have
    worked so much for it . so don't have any option rather than to give
    her out for adoption to some one who will really show her love and
    care that is all i need at moment .so i am not very happy given her
    out but for the sake of my job .so if you are really interested in
    adopting my mare, you must answer me the following questions which
    is the only thing that will qualify you to have my mare.if you can
    answer these questions correctly,i will arrange for a home delivery of
    the mare right at your door step.
    have you ever had this breed of pets before?,
    do you have children?,
    do they love pets?;where are you located?
    do you have a conducive stable for my mare?
    what experience do you have as regards horses?
    how long hove you ride horse or stay with horses?
    please i am sorry if i have ask so much questions but i just
    want to make sure my mare go to safe hands .i have attach her
    photos waiting to read
    from you .
    many thanks

Now to me, this is extremely suspicious. English is obviously not his first language. And who gives away a horse that normally costs $5000? It completely reminds me of the nigerian dog scams. I'm guessing this guy would want you to pay to ship the horse.
    So I go to investigate and plug the photos into google image search. At least 60 separate ads pop up, some saying the horse is from Holland, or Australia, or Ireland. Some say it's a mare and some say it's a gelding. Sometimes it's free and sometimes it's $800-$3000. Exact photos for each ad.
    I took screen shots of all the ads and sent it back to her. Took at least 20 minutes to convince her it's a scam. To me this is so obviously, painfully clear, a scam. What makes me mad is there are people out there looking to take advantage of unsuspecting and hopeful people.
    Last edited by SnowShredder; 06-26-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    Females: 0.1 fire; 0.1 sugar; 0.1 GHI; 0.1 pinstripe het desert ghost; 0.1 mojave spider; 0.2 mojave; 0.1 black pewter blast; 0.1 leopard pied; 0.1 champagne; 0.1 pied; 0.1 super pastel lesser; 0.1 pewter; 0.1 spider het pied, 0.1 bumblebee; 0.1 lesser; 0.1 spider; 0.1 normal; 0.3 het pied
    Males: 1.0 het desert ghost; 1.0 pastel pied; 1.0 leopard; 1.0 black pastel; 1.0 enchi; 1.0 mojave; 1.0 cinnamon; 1.0 pied; 1.0 vanilla

Other species: 1.0.3 pacman frogs (sunkissed, super apricot, super blue, super lime green); 0.2 crested gecko; 1.0 hypo hog island boa; 0.1 normal boa; 1.0 rottweiler; 1.0 chihuahua

instagram = lesliep91

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Re: This is so frustrating

That's funny. Just this morning a gal I work with showed me an email she had gotten in response to her inquiry about a puppy. It was written much the same way and sounded very sketchy. And all of a sudden seller is in different state, and for $350 (for puppy and shipping) it would be delivered to her front door and she gives money the delivery person. Um, yeah...
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    I want to say that's a scam unfortunately.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks

This is so frustrating

That ad is ridiculous. Asking for an adoption/sale fee IS how people protect horses they can't keep. Free horses end up getting sold by the pound for their meat; asking for more than that ensures the flippers can't make a profit that way. Also, I didn't spend much time looking at the pictures (I got too angry about the scam), but isn't that a Friesian? That's not exactly a backyard horse breed. A quarter horse or cross I could understand, but this breed isn't common enough that people wouldn't be able to sell it for decent money. I'm always skeptical of too good of a deal and sob story driven provenances. A good product (appliance, horse, snake) should be able to be sold on its own merit, not value assigned to it through emotional manipulation.

I'm sorry your girlfriend has to deal with this sort of thing. I can't imagine how many people think they're about to get their dream horse and end up heartbroken and without some money that could've gone to a real horse. Meanwhile, there are good horses that end up as dog food because of the seller's misguided intentions (free to a good home!) or lack of visibility because people get caught up by the scams. 😣 It's so frustrating!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chkadii View Post
    That ad is ridiculous. Asking for an adoption/sale fee IS how people protect horses they can't keep. Free horses end up getting sold by the pound for their meat; asking for more than that ensures the flippers can't make a profit that way. Also, I didn't spend much time looking at the pictures (I got too angry about the scam), but isn't that a Friesian? That's not exactly a backyard horse breed. A quarter horse or cross I could understand, but this breed isn't common enough that people wouldn't be able to sell it for decent money. I'm always skeptical of too good of a deal and sob story driven provenances. A good product (appliance, horse, snake) should be able to be sold on its own merit, not value assigned to it through emotional manipulation.

I'm sorry your girlfriend has to deal with this sort of thing. I can't imagine how many people think they're about to get their dream horse and end up heartbroken and without some money that could've gone to a real horse. Meanwhile, there are good horses that end up as dog food because of the seller's misguided intentions (free to a good home!) or lack of visibility because people get caught up by the scams.  It's so frustrating!
    Yes it is a Friesian.
    My girlfriend isn't very internet savvy and had never even heard of the dog scams, and to her this ad was a dream come true (her dream horse). She didn't recognize the broken english was a bad sign, and that they are in a different state. After laying out the facts she became upset with me but I think that stems from the fact that she got her hopes up.
    These scammers aren't very smart though, they always use well known photos, I've seen some even with copyrights on them! I think they have you fill out an "application" because it will a lot of people feel that the ad is legit, that the person genuinely cares about the well being of their animal. But that's all fake.
    Some of the ads with this picture listed it as an Arabian or even a Quarter horse. Horse reeds are as distinct as any other type of animal breeds/morphs.
    Last edited by SnowShredder; 06-26-2013 at 02:35 PM.
    Females: 0.1 fire; 0.1 sugar; 0.1 GHI; 0.1 pinstripe het desert ghost; 0.1 mojave spider; 0.2 mojave; 0.1 black pewter blast; 0.1 leopard pied; 0.1 champagne; 0.1 pied; 0.1 super pastel lesser; 0.1 pewter; 0.1 spider het pied, 0.1 bumblebee; 0.1 lesser; 0.1 spider; 0.1 normal; 0.3 het pied
    Males: 1.0 het desert ghost; 1.0 pastel pied; 1.0 leopard; 1.0 black pastel; 1.0 enchi; 1.0 mojave; 1.0 cinnamon; 1.0 pied; 1.0 vanilla

Other species: 1.0.3 pacman frogs (sunkissed, super apricot, super blue, super lime green); 0.2 crested gecko; 1.0 hypo hog island boa; 0.1 normal boa; 1.0 rottweiler; 1.0 chihuahua

instagram = lesliep91

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Obvious scam. She should have picked up on the "work will not want me to ride horse to work" part.

It's so close to the typical puppy scams(that have branched out to other animals and even things) tobe painfully obvious to anyone who's been around the net.

If she's super new to the internet, I can see not being familiar with the classic setup, but the wording alone should tip off anyone familiar with horses to.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    My mom's friend (a BYB of golden retrievers) fell victim to a scam similar to this.

An out of state 'buyer' responded to one of her many ads, offering to pay more than double the asking price for a puppy, stating that they would send someone out to pick up the puppy for them and to ship it to them.

My mom kept telling her it's a scam - she refused to believe her. I mean, come on. This person was offering DOUBLE for a puppy! How could someone pass up that offer!?
    Well, of course, it was a scam. Someone did come to the house, took the puppy, gave her a fake cashiers check for the amount specified (the doubled amount). She went to try and cash it, and the bank couldn't do anything because of course, it was fake. It was only at that point (after the puppy was already gone) she realized that my mom was right, and it was, in fact, a scam.

It's sad that people will take advantage of others like that....
    ~My Wishlist~

Balls Boas Other Pythons Others
    Pastave Lipstick Junglow Carpet Python Kingsnake
    Lesser Brazilian Rainbow Boa SD/D Reticulated Python
    Butter Pastel
    Green Tree Python
    Albino

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnowShredder View Post
    And who gives away a horse that normally costs $5000?
    That's 2 different horses in the pics (possibly 3), and they'd both be closer to $25,000 than $5,000 (especially the one on the right, nice build for dressage). Definitely,absolutely, no question, 100% scam.
    -Devon

0.1 Axanthic Bee (Pixel)
    0.2 Axanthic Pastel (Cornelia, Short Round)
    0.1 Axanthic (Bubbles)
    0.1 Bee het Axanthic (Nipper)
    0.1 Lesser (Lydia)
    0.1 het Lavender (Poppy)
    0.1 het Hypo (Cookie)
    1.0 Killerbee het Axanthic (Yellow Dude)
    1.0 Pied (Starry Starry Dude)
    1.0 Butter Hypo (Spooky Dude)
    1.0 PH Lavender (Little Dude)

Thanks
    I can't help but be honest, a lot of the times to my own disadvantage. I can't believe people can be like this! Trying to scam people out of hard earned money. It's sickening

instagram = lesliep91