Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,751

3 members and 1,748 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Ball python loves to dig in substrates. Cheaper alternatives to aspen, etc.?

I have my ball python in a tub that may be too big for her liking. It doesn't seem to be providing enough privacy for her. She only comes out for a very short time at night but generally stays in her hides a lot. She has 2 hides but the 50 qt tub is rather open with only the hides, a bowl, and paper towel substrate. She is a yearling and is only about 15 inches and 120 grams. I think the tub is more of a mansion than a cozy home and may be making her uncomfortable with all that open space. I don't have any smaller tubs for her right now. I found some recycled crumpled up paper that was used in a Christmas box last year. I made sure that it doesn't have glitter or perfume. It is just paper that's been put through a shredder and crumpled up. I put it in her tub around her hides and water bowl and she's been exploring ever since and is looking quite happy. I'm shocked that she's even coming out right now. She seems very active and is loving all of the digging and exploring. Problem is, the paper is kind of hard to move in and I'm sure it isn't the most comfortable thing in the world. I'm worried that she could scratch an eye or catch a scale on the paper's edge. Aspen is great but it is expensive and I know the coconut fiber beddings aren't cheap either. I tried ripping up paper towels but I couldn't get enough in there for her to really dig and feel secure. What are some cheaper alternatives for bedding? Is small animal bedding (not the pine or cedar) safe? Thanks.

Thanks
    My recommendation is cypress mulch, it's safe for snakes, keeps moisture very well (even has visual cues when it gets dry), keeps heat well, doesn't break down easily, it's dirt cheap, and you can find it nearly anywhere in large sizes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_92889-76450-...lch&facetInfo=

3 cubic feet will do about 8-10 41Qt tubs so expect to be able to keep this stuff around for a while.

Thanks
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Native-Earth...81097414832%26

There's a shop on ebay that sells the big Harlan Teklad bags of aspen for $14.30. It's 36lbs and will last you quite a while.

Though you may want to go to walmart and get a smaller tub.

1.0 normal - Nibiru
    1.0 hypo pinstripe - Bellamy
    0.1 normal - Camila
    0.1 pewter - Penelope
    0.1 ivory - Veronie
    0.1 kenyan sand boa - Sanders
    1.0 anery stripe ksb - Cookies
    1.1 angolan pythons - William and Catherine
    1.0 western hognose - Clarence
    1.0 Mexican Black kingsnake - Ricardo
    0.1 Brazilian rainbow boa - Nijiko
    1.0 banana ball python - Tango
    2.1 ranitomeya imitator tarapoto - Lipstick and the boyfriends
    0.2 ornate uromastyx - Bennie and Millie

Like me on Facebook!

Thanks
    Forget everything I just said, I bookmarked that ebay page and I'm sure I'll use it when I run out of Cypress

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RaskaNeil For This Useful Post:

Artemille (06-24-2013)