Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,149

2 members and 3,147 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Oooh, looky what i got!

I am not really into the small and furry things but this guy stole my heart and i just had to have him.
    I named him Tasmanian Devil, "Taz" for short because he will go right after my dogs and nip their ankles without any fear, he bites... a lot, and he thinks he is a Grizzly Bear even though he weighs less than a pound... The name seemed very fitting.

Scaley critters:
    1.0 Boa Constrictor - Emerson 0.1 Green Iguana - Ricci
    0.1 Centralian Carpet Python - Charlotte 0.1 Blood Python
    0.1 Normal Ball Python 1.0 Granite Burmese Python - Peanut
    1.0 Normal Burmese Python - Peewee 0.0.1 Super Dalmatian Crested Gecko - Gus

Furry critters:
    0.1 American Pit Bull Terrier - Justice 0.1 German Shepherd Dog/Border Collie mix - Liberty 1.0 Rottweiler/Mastiff mix - Major 1.0 English Bulldog mix - 1.0 Ferret - Taz

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SSALB For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (06-19-2013),Anya (06-19-2013),LWEW (08-25-2013),MJK123 (06-19-2013),satomi325 (06-20-2013)

Thanks

Re: Oooh, looky what i got!

I am clearly new to this whole Ferret ownership thing so any tips from Ferret owners is welcome.
    Scaley critters:

Furry critters:
    0.1 American Pit Bull Terrier - Justice 0.1 German Shepherd Dog/Border Collie mix - Liberty 1.0 Rottweiler/Mastiff mix - Major 1.0 English Bulldog mix - 1.0 Ferret - Taz

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Hes very cute! My daughter wants one. We have been researching them. Satomi is an excellent source of ferret info!
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

satomi325 (06-20-2013),SSALB (06-20-2013)

Thanks

I love white ferrets! Hide your keys!
    TheSnakeGuy

- Python Regius -
    1.0 Spider Mojave - "Tweak"
    0.1 Mystic Pastel - "Oracle"

Wish List . . . .someday
    Lavender Albino Pied(Dreamsicle) Ball Python
    2. Albino Burmese Python
    3. Mystic Potion Ball Python(Breeders)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheSnakeGuy For This Useful Post:

SSALB (06-20-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,063 Posts

WEASEL!!!!

Adorable.

He has a look of "as soon as the humans are gone, the crayon box and sock drawer are mine!"
    -Yar

1.0.0 Albino Black Rat snake(Wafer)
    0.0.1 California King snake(Oreo)
    0.0.1 African Housesnake(Cupcake)
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk snake(Blackjack)
    0.0.2 Normal BP(Petey; Twix)
    0.0.1 Yellow Rat Snake(Dijon)
    0.0.1 Madagascar Speckled Hognose(Granola)[RIP]
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milk snake(Candy Cane)
    1.0.0 Lesser BP(Creme Brulee)
    1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)
    0.1.0 Black Motley Corn snake(Anisette)
    0.0.1 Pueblan Milk snake[Fostering, Taco Grande]
    0.1.0 West African Mud Turtle(Bulger)
    0.2.0 Red Eared Slider(Squirtle, Turtwig)
    1.0.0 Rat Terrorier(Ranger)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pyrate81 For This Useful Post:

SSALB (06-20-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    Fuzzy!!!!

I love these guys! Buy yourself a copy of Ferrets for Dummies, I couldn't live without mine.

And yes, ferrets are unbelievably mouthy. It's ridiculous! And be forewarned, every single corner in any room he has access to is now a litterbox. And I mean EVERY corner. Room corner, corner of the entertainment center, corner of the couch, corner of the computer desk, if it's a corner, it's a litterbox. Buy stock in newspaper and Nature's Miracle. Also be aware, if it's small enough to fit in his mouth, there is a real danger of it being swallowed. Many ferrets die from impactions from swallowing stuff you wouldn't believe. Pretend he's a toddler with four hands and the ability to levitate and that will help you keep his area hazard free as much as possible.

I warn you, these guys are mischievous, but they are also addicting.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to angllady2 For This Useful Post:

Anya (06-19-2013),Pyrate81 (06-20-2013),Sama (06-20-2013),sissysnakes (06-20-2013),SSALB (06-20-2013)

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

Oooh, looky what i got!

I love ferrets.

Cute lil bums.

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

13. The Following User Says Thank You to I-KandyReptiles For This Useful Post:

SSALB (06-20-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angllady2 View Post
    Pretend he's a toddler with four hands and the ability to levitate and that will help you keep his area hazard free as much as possible.

I laughed waaay too long at that.

he is soooo cute. I've never owned a ferret before...too much work, imo. I'll stick to my herps. But he is awesome, and I find my brain trying to convince me I need one.
    0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python 'Marcelene'
    1.0.0 Hypo Brooks Kingsnake, 'Limonchello'
    0.0.1 Western Ratsnake 'Sticker'

?.?.? Dubia Colony.
    ?.?.? Madagascar Hissing Colony
    2.0.0 Ferrets 'Ferris' & 'Steven'
    3 gallon planted tank
    1.0.0 Avicularia Avicularia 'Peter'
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans 'Little Dude'
    0.0.1 Pterinochilus murinus 'Mr.Bitey'

0.1.0 Catahoula Pitbull Mix ' Imogen'

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Anya For This Useful Post:

SSALB (06-20-2013)

Thanks
    What a cutie!

I second the Ferrets for Dummies. It's like the ferret bible.

Just a few pointers:
    1) The better diet you feed, the less he will smell. Ferrets are obligate carnivores (meaning they can only digest meat). I feed my guys a raw diet and they have little to no smell. They also have smaller, less frequent poops, as they digest and utilize more of what they eat. There are pre-packaged raw diets (such as Nature's Variety), or if you want to go the kibble route, look at high quality, grain-free cat foods such as EVO and Instinct.
    ~On that same note, do not offer fruits or veggies as treats. As I said before, they can ONLY digest meat. Fruits are high in sugar and can cause serious issues, and veggies can cause blockages.

2) Offer minimal baths. The more you bathe a ferret, the more they will smell. Bathing strips their skin of essential oils that keep their skin healthy, and when you give them a bath, their body goes into overdrive to replace the oils, making them smell 10x worse. Not to mention, it dries out their skin and makes them itchy.

ETA: If you want to go the raw route, I know of a forum that's specifically for the purpose of getting ferrets on a raw diet. They will set you up with a mentor and your mentor will help you switch your ferret over onto raw and will help you make a menu that is healthy and balanced. (An unbalanced raw diet is worse than even the lowest quality kibble!)
    Last edited by Konotashi; 06-20-2013 at 12:58 AM.
    ~My Wishlist~

Balls Boas Other Pythons Others
    Pastave Lipstick Junglow Carpet Python Kingsnake
    Lesser Brazilian Rainbow Boa SD/D Reticulated Python
    Butter Pastel
    Green Tree Python
    Albino

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Konotashi For This Useful Post:

SSALB (06-20-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angllady2 View Post
    Fuzzy!!!!

I love these guys! Buy yourself a copy of Ferrets for Dummies, I couldn't live without mine.

And yes, ferrets are unbelievably mouthy. It's ridiculous! And be forewarned, every single corner in any room he has access to is now a litterbox. And I mean EVERY corner. Room corner, corner of the entertainment center, corner of the couch, corner of the computer desk, if it's a corner, it's a litterbox. Buy stock in newspaper and Nature's Miracle. Also be aware, if it's small enough to fit in his mouth, there is a real danger of it being swallowed. Many ferrets die from impactions from swallowing stuff you wouldn't believe. Pretend he's a toddler with four hands and the ability to levitate and that will help you keep his area hazard free as much as possible.

I warn you, these guys are mischievous, but they are also addicting.

Gale
    I already have that book.

Really!?! Taz has two litter boxes, one in his cage and one that i leave in the middle of the floor when he is out and about exploring, he uses both consistently and he hasn't relieved himself anywhere else, i've had him a little over a week now. Weird, maybe i just got lucky?

Haha! I have a free roaming Iguana (She will eat anything and everything that she can fit in her mouth) so all of the rooms upstairs are 100% spotless from ground level and up, along with the living room downstairs.

Thank you for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
    What a cutie!

I second the Ferrets for Dummies. It's like the ferret bible.

Just a few pointers:
    1) The better diet you feed, the less he will smell. Ferrets are obligate carnivores (meaning they can only digest meat). I feed my guys a raw diet and they have little to no smell. They also have smaller, less frequent poops, as they digest and utilize more of what they eat. There are pre-packaged raw diets (such as Nature's Variety), or if you want to go the kibble route, look at high quality, grain-free cat foods such as EVO and Instinct.
    ~On that same note, do not offer fruits or veggies as treats. As I said before, they can ONLY digest meat. Fruits are high in sugar and can cause serious issues, and veggies can cause blockages.

2) Offer minimal baths. The more you bathe a ferret, the more they will smell. Bathing strips their skin of essential oils that keep their skin healthy, and when you give them a bath, their body goes into overdrive to replace the oils, making them smell 10x worse. Not to mention, it dries out their skin and makes them itchy.

ETA: If you want to go the raw route, I know of a forum that's specifically for the purpose of getting ferrets on a raw diet. They will set you up with a mentor and your mentor will help you switch your ferret over onto raw and will help you make a menu that is healthy and balanced. (An unbalanced raw diet is worse than even the lowest quality kibble!)
    I automatically assumed Carnivore = Raw meat/whole prey/raw bones diet... Must be the reptile keeper in me!
    I am feeding him about 40% raw meat/bones, 55% whole prey (rat pinks, chicks, etc..), and 5% high quality Ferret kibble. I did quite a bit of research on their nutritional needs so i have a pretty good idea of what is required but i'm still learning and making changes when necessary.

I have been putting "Marshall GoodBye Odor for Ferrets" in his water daily and using "Marshall Daily Spritz Ferret spray" on him every 3-4 days, combining these two products seems to be doing the trick, the first day i purchased him he smelled AWFUL and now the smell is barely noticeable... I can definitely say my rat colony smells more than he does by a long shot.
    I didn't know about bathing causing issues with their skin, i will definitely keep that in mind.

Thank you!
    Last edited by SSALB; 06-20-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    Scaley critters:

Furry critters:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast