Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,623

2 members and 1,621 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

View Poll Results: Which snake picture on the business card?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nuclear

8 57.14%
  • FireFly

2 14.29%
  • Neither- your design stinks!!

4 28.57%
    BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts

First crack at business card....

Uggghhhh…. Do I wish I still had Flexi-Sign Pro!! I could have done this all myself….

Brought 6 or so pics to a printer along with a font I really liked. They were kinda impressed as I had 90% of the work done for them from home. They are only charging me for the business cards and no layout fee since I had most of the work done for them.

I used the side of one of my 0.1 Clowns as the background… just cropped a nice looking section of her for them to work with. I then brought 4 pics of various snakes as well.

This is the first draft just as I had the printing laid out. All I needed them to do was to fade the left side and pull just the snake off one of my pics and place it in the faded background I needed them to create.

Second pic is of my 1.0 Nuclear that they pulled the pic from for the draft. I think I am going to have them swap the snake pic to my 0.1 FireFly in the third pic. I think the yellow will “pop” a little more!!

Imagine the FF on the card? Which one do you like best??

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

First crack at business card....

I like the look of it now. A little busy for my taste, but i prefer things as simple as possible usually lol.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,063 Posts

Re: First crack at business card....

Looks good IMO.

Thoughts:

1. I like the Nuclear there, it gives the card good balance and actually has a "wow, what kind of snake is that?" feel to it. It also seems "friendly and inviting" if you get my meaning. Maybe make the Nuke a touch smaller and see if it looks right, but I think you're fine.

2. If you go with the firefly on the card, try to rotate it with the head facing down/toward you or take another pic similar to the pose the nuke is in. Also perhaps a plain black background would look good with just the lettering and the firefly. Contrast is good, but you don't want it to clash. I feel the Firefly would clash with the current background but I could be wrong.

The 3 business cards in my head that I can remember even vaguely have 1 "poppy" image on them, 2 of which had dark/grey/black backgrounds. One had a green cartoon image of a snake in the upper left in the shape of a "C" for the first letter, the second one had the gold face markings of a bp on a black background, and the third is for rogue reptiles. What pops to me about yours is the Nuke and the contrast the letters bring.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Albino Black Rat snake(Wafer)
    0.0.1 California King snake(Oreo)
    0.0.1 African Housesnake(Cupcake)
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk snake(Blackjack)
    0.0.2 Normal BP(Petey; Twix)
    0.0.1 Yellow Rat Snake(Dijon)
    0.0.1 Madagascar Speckled Hognose(Granola)[RIP]
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milk snake(Candy Cane)
    1.0.0 Lesser BP(Creme Brulee)
    1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)
    0.1.0 Black Motley Corn snake(Anisette)
    0.0.1 Pueblan Milk snake[Fostering, Taco Grande]
    0.1.0 West African Mud Turtle(Bulger)
    0.2.0 Red Eared Slider(Squirtle, Turtwig)
    1.0.0 Rat Terrorier(Ranger)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Sorry Corey - I had to pick "your design stinks!" just because I knew no one else would! I think either snake would look spectacular, but agree with a more muted background if you go with the firefly. What about using the clown as the solid back of the card? Also, love the font choice!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

Pyrate81 (06-21-2013)

BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts
    FireFly- don't like it. Color does not go good with Clown background.

We resized the Nuclear image and made the header font a bit larger. I like it a lot more now.

The 1st Nuclear card pictured will be done Wednesday. Only running off 1000, so I can change it later.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CD CONSTRICTORS For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (06-21-2013),Pyrate81 (06-21-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I think it would look better if you made the font a little bigger and left the snake picture out. just have the clown in the background and that's it.

Thanks
    I actually like the pose of the firefly better, but the nuclear stands out much better.

For other tweaks (although there have been plenty of good suggestions already) - if you want to keep that background, I'd lower the opacity. It's too bright and busy, and draws attention away from everything else on the card. Keep that white circle bit, that looks really good to highlight the snake photo, but move/crop the snake photo so it's a bit larger, and there's not so much dead space to the left. Negative space is good in most cases, but that spot just stands out as dead space, that could be better used if the snake photo were shifted to the left a bit and maybe enlarged a little.

Also seconding the font enlargement. This is a little piece of paper that people will be glancing at. You want the overall design to draw the eye, which it does, but you also NEED for the business name to be the most visible piece, and the easiest to read. You want anyone glancing at the card to have no issues at all reading the business name. Especially since lots of people have some degree of impaired eyesight, it needs to be big (not gigantic, taking up near to 1/4 - 1/3 of the vertical space is a good general rule, but it doesn't have to be THAT large). Especially with an unusual and broken up font (though it does look awesome), it needs to be bigger.

Sorry for the rambling, too many graphic design classes xD
    Last edited by LotusCorvus; 06-21-2013 at 11:15 PM.
    1.2 Normal BPs (Sekhmet, Tefnut, Vincent*)
    0.1 Coral Albino RTB (Eisheth)
    1.0 RTB (Cassanova*)
    0.3 Nicaraguan RTB (Type 2 Black Eye Anery w/Genetic Stripe. Eevee*, Daeva, A*)
    0.1 Corn (probably corn/rat mix. Trouble)
    1.0 Splendida King snake (Freebi)
    1.0 Leopard Gecko (Little Dude*)
    0.2 Halloween Crested Gecko: (Thing1*, Thing2*)
    1.1 Columbian BCC (Oolong, Pippin. Currently fostering with a friend)
    *Long-term pet sitting, not actually mine

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I say get rid of the clown background, change it to solid black (or whatever your business color is), and keep the halo around the nuclear.

I'm in the "too busy" camp. Also, I don't mean to insult you, but the clown color/pattern looks a bit blah. The snake is gorgeous, but cropped and in that color it doesn't show off how nice the animal is.
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 06-24-2013 at 01:11 PM.