Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,963

1 members and 2,962 guests
AR29,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Where to get Clear, Plastic Tubs? (Are these Big Enough?)

I was lurking around the caging forum and came across a thread about enclosures vs. racks. (Unfortunately, I can't find it now - UGH).

I've been debating on what kind of enclosures to keep my snakes in, as I don't want to spend an arm and a leg (maybe some toes) on extravagant, stackable PVC or plastic cages, but I want to be able to see the snakes I'll own. I like the idea of a rack system due to convenience and ease of upkeep, but I don't like that sterilite/rubbermaid tubs are only transparent and not clear, so you get very limited visibility on your snakes.

However, one of the replies had a link to a thread on another site that gave the best of both worlds. It was a rack system that had large, clear tubs so that you could still see the snakes. Here's a photo of that rack. (I hope it's okay to post this!)

Since I saw that, I'm definitely going with the rack idea. I'm still going to get either a PVC or plastic cage for my boa, but I think I'd be able to build something to stack these on top of it without an issue.

The problem I'm having is finding clear tubs. I'm not sure how big a tub an adult BP would need. The largest ones I can find are these food storage boxes, with dimensions of 26x18x9".
    http://www.webstaurantstore.com/camb...FQdyQgodQjUAvA

Then I was looking at the Critter Keeper things (like the ones they sell at Petco), but they don't come in very large sizes at all.
    The biggest one I could find was here, and it's only 18x12x6.5".
    http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/faunarium.php
    Plus, I'm not sure of the quality of these containers, since they're advertised mostly for crickets and as carriers. I'm not sure if they would be very good to use, or if they would crack over time at all, especially if they were being used in a rack system....

I work at a cafe at the moment, so I know those food boxes are pretty tough!

Would the food box above be a good size for an adult BP? That's the biggest one I can find, as far as floor space goes; there is another size available that's taller (15"), but looking at other racks, 9" seems like it'd be tall enough. If that's too small, does anyone know where I'd be able to buy CLEAR tubs? Not transparent like sterilite tubs, but totally clear like an aquarium.

I know BPs like small, tight spaces and tend to do better in rack systems anyway, but I was thinking about having a sort of side-ways rack system with the long side of the cage facing out. For example, if I were to use the 26x18x9" food boxes for my racks, I'd have the 26" side facing out instead of the 18" side. (I hope that makes sense!) Would it help a BP feel more secure to have more 'stuff' in the cage? The minimum of two hides, but more decor in the cage for them to hide in so it doesn't feel as open for them?

Thank you in advance!

Thanks
    I found that rack picture on another forums and the OP had that rack custom made for green tree pythons. I don't know where they got the tubs but they are acrylic tubs. Most people use something like CB70 tubs or Sterilite 1860 or 1960's, The tub dimenseions for the rack I have is 34x16x6(41qt) Sterilites. I use an animal plastics rack. If you look at their site under sterilite racks I have the 1860/1960 rack. Also what you said about having the length side faceing out is fine. I have seen a few rack systems done in that fashion, they just take up more room so most people prefer to go the other route. Heres a link to the original post I found that rack on. http://moreliaviridis.yuku.com/topic...2#.Ub1rzIzn-Uk

Thanks
    I did a search for acrylic tubs, and I couldn't find anything. :/
    The closest thing I could find were those food boxes.

Thanks
    I would try PMing the OP on the other forums to see if they can tell you where they got them and maybe you can find what you are looking for, GL.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Seth702 For This Useful Post:

Konotashi (06-16-2013)

Thanks
    I sent him a message. He seems active on that forum, so hopefully he sees it and responds soon.
    I almost died of happiness when I saw that. I really didn't want to choose between having a rack system that I wouldn't be able to see my snakes in or spending a fortune and a half on caging, haha.

Thanks
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...animal+plastic

is another option as well, they look nice as display and house BP's well. Animal plastics is a bit behind on production right now so orders take a while but I enjoy the ones I have.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    The link to them is in the first post they are cambro boxes any restaurant supply will have them. http://www.cambro.com/Food_Pans_and_...9490/1033.aspx

they are polycarbonate not acrylic. They are designed to fit into warming trays and are standard sizes. You may find what you need on the web site. Be warned sometimes you need to buy a set not just a few depending on what the supplier sell. Locally I need to buy 10 or more they are not super cheap.
    Last edited by kitedemon; 06-16-2013 at 07:29 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    They have 18x26x6 18x26x9 in storage boxes and in pans a full pan is 12x20xup to 8, they are not cheap lists at about 40 $ each.

http://cool.cambro.com/resource/pdfs/2013_USA.pdf perhaps someone in the restaurant industry can chime in.

Thanks
    I think if I have problems finding the tubs (like I am now), I could probably just make them. I've been looking up how to make aquariums, and I figure making slide out rack-quariums wouldn't be too different. Not to mention, I could make them whatever sizes I'd need. I think as long as I got the right materials and put a handle on them so I could pull them in and out, I could do it.

I love building things - I have a lot of time, so we'll see.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For an adult female general floor space is usually

34" 17.5" x 5.3 for Vision tubs and similar sizes for other manufacturers.

For adult males they can be kept in something smaller around 23 5/8" L x 16 3/8" W x 6 1/2"

Those shown would be great for arboreal animals I could see crested geckos in those.

With BP the floor space is more important then the height (they are ground dwellers) and as far as display you will be very disappointed, BP are the worse display animal you can own as they spend 80% of their time hiding. Best way to see a BP is to hold it

If you want to go the rack way I would suggest getting something that is widely available, and for which you will not have problem finding tubs, in other words keep it simple.
    Deborah Stewart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast