Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,825

3 members and 3,822 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

New ball python owner

I've learned a lot from this forum and I am getting my first ball python (a male Mojave) in July from a breeder when he is ready after a few meals. I am buying everything now and I have a few questions..

As of now I have..

-A Ultratherm heat pad
    -2 Reptile Basic hides (identical)
    -Cypress mulch
    -10 gallon tank with locking lid and blacked out on back and sides
    -Hydrofarm thermostat coming from amazon
    -Accurite thermometer with probe
    -Lamp fixture with 50 watt red night bulb
    -cut plexiglass for one side of the lid to keep heat and humidity in

Now my question is how do I set up the heat mat with the hydrofarm? Do I tape the mat to the bottom of the tank with the thermostat probe in the middle? What kind of tape should I use? I am aiming for a 78-80 cool side and 90 degree warm side.

Thanks your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Exclamation New Ball Python owner, help please.

I got my baby Ball Python yesterday and I chose a really lovely, friendly one. When I first held her she wasn't in a ball and was happy to be held. Since I got her and till now, she has been out of her hide. I keep her in a faunarium with the right floor material, large water bowl, right sized hide and a heat mat in one side of the faunarium. When I changed her water I thought I could hold her and show her where her hide was because she was totally happy with my hand being in the cage. When I held her for a little while she wasn't in a ball and didn't seem stressed at all. She explores the hide but dosn't stay in there. It's really confusing me help please D:
    P.s - it's just an ordinary heat mat, I dont think the temperature wrong? D:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts

New ball python owner

Yes that is the best way. I would recommend against the combination of Hydrofarm and accurite. The potential error of both is 4 degrees up or down. I would suggest this is far too much potential range.

I would suggest at least one be more accurate if you have an accurate thermostat and the accurite reads grossly different it becomes suspect and can be replaced. Or vise versa. The stupid part is a higher accuracy thermometer is about the same as a thermostat.

I would recommend a herpstat they have high accuracy. Personally I don't like batteries inside an enclosure so I would not suggest an accurite either. There are many others that are lower cost smaller size and higher accuracy.

They may have been better years ago I can't say the the newer ones are very poor. I have had three and two were more that the specs allow ( replaced) and the last was just inside the 4 degree range so I gave it away. Waste of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

DSpythons (06-13-2013)

Thanks

New ball python owner

Quote Originally Posted by mcrflo View Post
    I got my baby Ball Python yesterday and I chose a really lovely, friendly one. When I first held her she wasn't in a ball and was happy to be held. Since I got her and till now, she has been out of her hide. I keep her in a faunarium with the right floor material, large water bowl, right sized hide and a heat mat in one side of the faunarium. When I changed her water I thought I could hold her and show her where her hide was because she was totally happy with my hand being in the cage. When I held her for a little while she wasn't in a ball and didn't seem stressed at all. She explores the hide but dosn't stay in there. It's really confusing me help please D:
    Think the temp is right?? You need to know checked with a decent thermometer. You do have a thermostat? Right?

Thanks

Re: New ball python owner

Quote Originally Posted by mcrflo View Post
    From what I read I would refrain from handling a new snake until it has eaten once or twice. You do not want to stress the snake since its in a new enviorment. I am a new ball Python owner but I do that with all my other snakes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    Personally I don't like batteries inside an enclosure so I would not suggest an accurite either. There are many others that are lower cost smaller size and higher accuracy.

They may have been better years ago I can't say the the newer ones are very poor. I have had three and two were more that the specs allow ( replaced) and the last was just inside the 4 degree range so I gave it away. Waste of money.

What other kind of thermometers do you reccomend that measure humidity, cool, and warm side temperatures that do not have batteries?

Thanks
    Also I need some help buying a safe type of tape to use to tape a Ultratherm to the bottom of the tank

Thanks

New ball python owner

http://bit.ly/14MjSt3
    Rated with half the error of accurites with no batteries INSIDE the enclosure. Cheap enough to buy a few and check them against each other.

http://cigaroasis.asia/Hygrometers/W...ygrometer.aspx

Look for a METAL face card and calibration screw. They are accurate and stand up to dust and dirt that digital ones do not. They also can be calibrated.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

DSpythons (06-22-2013)

Thanks

New ball python owner

Tape electrical tape cheap works and non conductive.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

DSpythons (06-22-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    http://bit.ly/14MjSt3
    Rated with half the error of accurites with no batteries INSIDE the enclosure. Cheap enough to buy a few and check them against each other.

http://cigaroasis.asia/Hygrometers/W...ygrometer.aspx

Look for a METAL face card and calibration screw. They are accurate and stand up to dust and dirt that digital ones do not. They also can be calibrated.

Thank you. I will buy all this next paycheck. I just set up my tank with what i have.. will put pictures up soon.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DSpythons For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (06-23-2013)