Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,266

4 members and 3,262 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business Name?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Business Name?

Hey guys, I don't want to share too much but I'm trying to decide on whether I should end my business name with "Herps" or "Constrictors" and here's why. I only breed constrictors but my girlfriend wants to keep the business' name open to other reptiles. I do not see myself breeding anything else, other than constrictors and to be honest, "constrictors" sounds pretty cool.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

Re: Business Name?

I think that if you name it constrictors but end up branching out into something else no one will have a problem with it so which ever you think sounds better should be fine =P

Thanks

I ended mine with "Reptiles" simply because I may branch out later and do something other than ball pythons and corn snakes. Maybe geckos (I'm really interested in them!) and maybe beardies.

I don't think anyone will care if you branch out later with a name ending in "Constrictors" I know several venders (for example, Crossbone Corns) that breeds/sells ball pythons. Doesn't bother me one bit!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    You could also venture into the realm of not including "reptiles, herps, snakes, constrictors" at all. I personally think these terms are a tad overused. Get creative!
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts

Spelling it out as Herpetoculture. That's always all encompassing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Even of you did choose "Constrictors" now and later wanted to breed other animals, you can just use your secondary name(Herps) as an added branch to your business perhaps?

But I personally think its fine if you just left it as constrictors. Lots of people use constrictors and breed other stuff on the side. Or whatever other name they have that has nothing to so with their secondary species of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    You could also venture into the realm of not including "reptiles, herps, snakes, constrictors" at all. I personally think these terms are a tad overused. Get creative!
    Agreed, which is why I use Serpentry.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I think I should stick with Herp, Reptiles, or Constrictors because it would help when searching online. If I come up with a name like Cool Exotics and there is a person looking for my business online using search words like "ball python," they might not find it.

I think with the top three, it will help future customers find my business online easier. It's just the matter of which one I should go with.

Thanks

Definitely go with what you like best. I personally think that most traffic would be direct in this kind of business. From clicking your link on your Kingsnake ad or from your business cards at a show.

Have you looked into seo? If your into organic traffic to your site you can still rank keywords that aren't in your name if you put them in the right places in your sites code.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I left my business name vague just in case we wanted to do other things. Granted geckos and what not don't slither, but no one would care if we started breeding/selling them. I think the same goes for your situation. Just because the reptile you are selling doesn't constrict doesn't mean you can't breed and sell it It would be a little odd if your main focus was shifted to a reptile that didn't constrict down the road, but people would accept it.

If my sister decides to branch off in the future, I'll keep the name. I like the name, people recognize it, and she'll always be involved to some degree. Basically, I'm just trying to say the name doesn't have to explain your business perfectly, people understand that businesses evolve.
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 06-24-2013 at 01:26 PM.

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    I used Pythons, but I really do not see a problem if I ever decided to breed Hognose or geckos or whatever.

So, go with whichever rolls of the tongue easiest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast