Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,900

0 members and 1,900 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Anxiety, Paranoia, and Depression

As the title states, this would b about anxiety, paranoia, and depression. I know that anxiety and depression run in my family, and I'm not 100% sure on paranoia, but recently my anxiety has really peaked and is driving me nuts, I've told my dad and he only said "You'll be fine, go lay down." It doesn't help, and then when he tells me that I get depressed because I feel so helpless and that no one is here to help, I really do honestly feel like I need medication for both. Any help on how I can do so?
    Reptiles
    0.0.1 - Rhacodactylus Ciliatus, Cheerio

Mammals
    1.1 - Canis Lupus Familiaris, Little Man & Molly

Thanks
    I have bipolar depression, and all I can really say is that it's sad that you're not being taken seriously.
    A lot of times, unless someone KNOWS what it feels like, they think you're just being irrational, when it's really much deeper than that.

I honestly don't know what all you can do. How old are you?
    If you're still in school, I would highly suggest talking to counselors or someone there that you're comfortable with. Maybe they can explain to your dad/parents the true gravity of the situation.

Hang in there. *Hugs*

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Konotashi For This Useful Post:

Anya (06-14-2013)

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

Unless people have experienced it for themselves, most will just tell you to brush it off. It simply just isn't that easy.

I'd suggest trying to go to a counsellor or psychologist and try talking to them. If they feel you need medications, they'll arrange for you toget them.

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to I-KandyReptiles For This Useful Post:

Anya (06-14-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I feel for you. My oldest son has major problems with Anxiety and Depression (also Aspergers syndrome). He's an adult but he refuses to learn how to drive due to his anxiety. He had a good job for a while but had to quit also due to his anxiety issues. Most days I have a hard time even getting him to leave the house. Somedays he won't even leave his room. He's on several medications (which is the only thing that has somewhat helped) and sees a therapist every month and a psychiatrist about every 6 weeks. It's a long road and it's been a work in progress for many years now. Things have gotten better, but it's slow. You (and your family) need a lot of patience.

The best thing you can do is seek medical help and at least be evaluated. It's hard to be treated until you know what's actually wrong.

Here is a book that I thought was good, hasn't helped us much but I know people who claimed it worked well for them.
    click this link for the book

Thanks
    Personally, medicine helped me worlds. I'm on three different types, so it's one of those things that if your doctors recommend it, you jump into headfirst. Sometimes they don't need to be long-term, sometimes they do. I plan on being on my antidepressant for the rest of my life because without it I went into a psychotic break after having taken it for a year (not a common reaction, but it happened to me). It's a serious commitment, but with the right routine it can help a ton.

That's another thing, too-- routine. Not just for meds, but in all things. I see a therapist once a week, and it helps me get out for what's commonly called "exposure therapy". I go to work on regular days and, believe it or not, even little things like Magnus' feeding schedule helped me.

I suggest a therapist, above all else. That will be the best resource for your options in recovery and they can refer you to a psychiatrist if you guys decide it would be helpful for you.

Most of all, patience.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts
    Oh Ava.....I was counselor for six years. I hate it when people are put on meds. I am soo against those. IMO, I think they mess people up more than they help....just based on my experiences. But I know anxiety and depression are real, and can have a resounding effect on a persons life. It also seems to me like most if not all of my clients problems stemmed from something that happened during childhood.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4theSNAKElady For This Useful Post:

OctagonGecko729 (06-12-2013),satomi325 (06-12-2013)

Thanks
    I'm on meds for my Bipolar II, and I have noticed a huge difference, as have everyone around me. I don't think that every doctor should throw meds at everyone that comes in the door, but for some people, they are necessary.

I was hospitalized for posing a danger to myself and others at one point. Although I still have my hypomanic episodes from time to time, they are nowhere near as bad as they were. Before I was put on medication, I was given all kinds of different coping strategies, but when my moods went out of whack, everything went out the window and I pretty much went crazy.
    Now that I'm on meds, even when I have my hypomanic episodes, I can stay logical enough to utilize the strategies I was given to stay safe.

OP, definitely try to avoid medication if you can. Very seldom can they get you on something that works for you on the first try. Medications for anything like that mess with your brain chemistry, which is never something to take lightly.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Konotashi For This Useful Post:

Anya (06-14-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: Anxiety, Paranoia, and Depression

I have bipolar, anxiety, and paranoia. I am and have been on meds for this since 1998. I personally cannot even function without my meds. There are some days when my moods are just horrible, I hate everyone and everything around me. I can also get pretty irritable without my meds. I was in counseling for like 5 years straight and I am just burned out and cannot take anymore counseling. My meds really do help though, without them I am just totally unbearable. Depression in any form really sucks big time. I was hospitalized nine times in my life for self harming and suicide. I have not been in the hospital since the year 2000. I know how hard it is to tell others that you are having issues. No one wanted to believe me until I started trying to end my life. I tried to tell people over and over again, and they told me it is just a phase. If you feel you need help, then go get it. Don't let other people try and tell you any different.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

Anya (06-14-2013)

Thanks
    From all the research I've done I wouldn't be so quick to get medicated. There are serious side effects to those medications and they do change chemical balances within the brain. I would really try to find a good therapist or counselor first, which isn't always the easiest thing to do as a lot of therapists are pretty corrupt but so are plenty of psychiatrists. It is also not easy to work through therapy but from the research I have done it works a lot better then medications. With all that said, I am by no means an expert in the field. I agree with what 4thesnakelady said 100%.
    5.5.13 C. Ciliatus - Specialize in Super Dals
    0.0.1 V. Exanthematicus (Skorge)
    4.4 U. Lineatus
    1.2 N. Amyae
    1.2.2 N. levis levis
    1.0 U. Pietschmanni (Pietsch)
    5.2.2 U. Fimbriatus

Lots of BPs focusing on Clown stuff in 2014.

1.0 P. Reticulatus 50% Dwarf Purple Albino het Gen Stripe

Chris from The Lizard Horde
    www.thelizardhorde.com
    Our Iherp Reptile Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLizardHorde

15. The Following User Says Thank You to OctagonGecko729 For This Useful Post:

satomi325 (06-12-2013)

Thanks

Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy does wonders for anxiety and depression. It helps by correcting perceptions established by the depressed/anxious brain (I'm sitting by myself at a party, so no one must like me > I didn't talk to anyone, so they don't hate me but may have thought I wanted to be left alone), and teaching the individual how to break out of those negative thought patterns before they become overwhelming.

I was diagnosed with ADHD and depression and anxiety are highly co-morbid. I tried SSRIs, and they didn't work well for me, but once I was treated for the ADHD the depression went away on its own. I'm on a stimulant now, and I can't imagine having to go back to trying to function without it. It did take a few tries to figure out what worked for me, but it was absolutely worth the inconvenience.

(This isn't referring to anyone in particular, just a common concern.) Medication is a big decision, but it shouldn't be associated with all the stigma that's out there. People take medicine for diabetes, heart conditions, cancer, etc.- there's no reason why cognitive disorders should be treated with less validity. They also don't turn "you" into someone else- they just help you become the "you" you want to be; thriving instead of surviving, and able to function without being ruled by fear.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chkadii For This Useful Post:

Anya (06-14-2013)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast