Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,635

3 members and 2,632 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,034
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jeremymichels
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well today was an odd day, I called all the petstores in the area and nobody had fuzzies >_< Finally I found a place about 40min away that had them, but he wasn't open today >_< BUT, he understood how a snake needs to eat so he let me come in to get some! So I went out and got 10 fuzzies, he gave me 12 cause he breeds them himself and always has extra. This guy had a dwarf caiman in the window lol scared the crap out of me when I walked in, it must have been around 4-5 feet long.

He had tons of snakes and helped me out a bunch ^_^

So I came home and held her for a few minutes but she got stressed pretty quick so I put her back in and offered her a fuzzy. It took her a few seconds to get interested, but after I jiggled it around and did the "mouse dance" struck and started to eat. But she kinda tried to eat it from the middle and after that didnt work out, found the head and started to swallow. I was kinda worried she couldnt get past the front feet as they stuck out a bit and she just sat there at that point for a few minutes. But she got by them eventually and the rest went down easily. Then she strolled on over to the hot hide and dove in ^_^ Glad to see her use the hot hide when I'm watching.

She seems to favor the cold side a little more then the hotside, but I have seen her inside both of them everyday since I got her so I think my temps are ok ^_^

Not bad for my first feeding I guess, considering it was her first F/T meal ever. The guys I bought her from were feeding live fuzzies.

I'll post 2 or 3 new pics later, along with a pic of her "hugging" her meal ^_--
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake *Princess Elysia*
    0.1 Miami Phase Cornsnake *Leila*
    0.1 Ball Python *Boo*

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Picture time!

Mmmmmmm...mice taste yummY!
    0.1 Ball Python *Boo*

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well its about 7 hours after Elysia ate and she went and rested in the hot hide for about 3-4 hours but the last few hours shes been extremely active, more active then I have seen her since I got her. *though she could be this active at night when I'm sleeping, I dunno* Is she just happy to have some food in her stomach and feeling like bouncing around? I'm glad she ate and is happy, as long as its normal behavior ^_^ Wish she would just settle down and digest her mousey o_O
    0.1 Ball Python *Boo*

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I know how great it feels to have a new snake eat for their first time with you. Great thing about kings is they're soooo easy to get to eat f/t meals. I think it's a good sign when you see a snake using both temp sides - means they are thermoregulating. If they spent all the time in one temp I'd worry. My Cal King is pretty active after a meal (well she eats , takes a rest and is then all over the place). Except this last feeding, I gave her 2 fuzzies instead of her usual one and she was one fat happy Cal King. She did something different after eating that meal, she went and lay in her water bowl for a bit - maybe she worked up a sweat eating that larger meal. How's the humidity?
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Humidity is fine now, down in in 40%'s now ^_^

My cold side is getting a bit too cold now being 75-78 all day today, hope it rises tomorrow.

I also forgot to mention, that this morning I noticed some poo and urates on the newspaper so that confirmed that she had eaten about 5-7 days ago correct? I changed her newspaper and her water right before I fed her.

I plan on feeding her every 5 days, do you think thats good enough? Right now I have 11 fuzzies left, plan on going to get some more when I have 2 left. 11 fuzzies should last me almost 2 months at that rate right? I think I'm gonna have to go get her a bigger water bowl soon, I dont think mines big enough.

Right now I'm pretty stable I guess. I have lots of food, I can't do anything with her for about 40 more hours besides watch her ^_^ Temps are pretty ok between 88-93 on the hotside and 75-81 on the cold side. I hope it doesnt drop below 75 tonight though >_<

I just hate when she goes under the layers of newspaper cause its going to be hard to find her poo and urates in all that paper. I was lucky last time that she went on the top o_O
    0.1 Ball Python *Boo*

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Glad to hear the humidity is good now. You can feed every 5-7 days - either is fine. Down side to every 5 days means there are less days for you to handle her. Every 7 days is fine as well - just as long as it's an appropriate sized meal. My kings defecate/urinate the 2nd & 3rd or the 3rd & 4th day after eating and then again the day before next feeding. It's wierd, but nice that they're on such a regular schedule. From the picture the water bowl looks plenty big. Mine have even smaller bowls. If they decide to soak, they'll like the size of the water bowl to be like their hides - snug and tight. Nice pics - thanks for sharing.

How old is she again? Have you an idea on her length and weight?
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    She is 8 months old, I dunno her EXACT length but im guessing around 20-24"

Weight I have no idea o_O

I really wish she would come out of the newspaper cause with the hides weighing it down, she cant get to the really warm spots in and around the hide. I figure if she gets cold enough she will come out and go in the hide, seeing as she spent so much time in it today.
    0.1 Ball Python *Boo*

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yeah, she'll come out if she wants. My guy is 22 inches long and is 11 months old. He was 75 grams at last weigh-in, but I haven't measured him after his last meal (which was a big one). Your girl looks to be about the same girth as my Indigo. Females do get bigger than males.
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    hey congrats on the first feed man
    Sounds like things are going great for you.
    You have a really good looking snake there.
    1.0 Green tree python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well today she is hanging out under the newspapers on the hotside, she hasn't really moved all day, not that I have seen. I'm assuming shes just sitting there trying to digest her meal. She seems ok to me, I lifted the paper and she looked at me and flicked her tongue a bit, so I covered her back up and left her alone.

Does this seem like ok behavior 24 hours after eating? I'll try handling her tomorrow night, it'll be 48 hours after she ate then.
    0.1 Ball Python *Boo*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast