Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,658

1 members and 2,657 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Banned
    Thanks

My bp's mouth

Can you all post pics of your crested cages?

Also. I'm using another 65 gallon sized cage to house 1.1 cresteds. It's like 15 inches tall or so. Is this significant? Or should I upgrade? Since they love cold I was thinking of going for a screened cage thats bout 2 feet tall with some live plants, probly vines. Good idea or bad idea? It can get about 65 in the house around here, I was planing on using a 50-60 Watt red bulb. Anyway I got a massive 3 foot tall strong leafed plant that I use for my anoles to play on. I intend on giving them play time on it an hour or so a night.

I'm getting some bamboo rods at wal-mart to use for this current caging. It's gonna look so sweet.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cresties prefer height over floor-space. A 65-long would be totally the wrong size and shape, unless you stood it up on its end...but that doesn't sound too safe for a tank that size.
    -- Judy

Banned
    Thanks
    I bought two completely new rubbermaids, more height. I measured the other cage and found it to be 13 inches, too tiny.

So here is what I have now a 2'x20"x15 or so" cage. I bought two, so this will be housing only a single cresties, is this sufficient for an adult? Sorry if I'm being a newbie, but I'm doing my research. Caresheets I've read have said anything from a 10 gallon to 30 gallon. some say no less then 2 feet. People I've talked to vary equally as much.

Now since they do not enjoy heat, this will be tricky. The room stays around 65 degress. Probly more at 70 near where the cages will be (higher up) I can boost ambient temp to 70, thats bout it. So external heat is needed I think. I cannot use a 50 watt, too much heat. Do you think a 25 watt red bulb can provide sufficient heat for a cage of these dimensions? It is going to be very arboreal, so I'm trying not to over heat and kill my cresties, lol....

I bought a crap load of bamboo. I plan on squeezing them into the rubbermaids so it is a pretty tight fit and they stay stable, good idea? I intend on also having a load of fake plants for hiding.

For substrate... Think I should go simple with some astro turf, or go with humidity boosting eco-earth? I fear that with such frequent mistings and low temps the eco-earth would become too moist and mold. And the astro may not hold enough between the mistings. Whatcha think?

That is all for now.

Banned
    Thanks
    Should I both with hides? This thing is gonna be really arboreal, think they'll even use them?

Oh, and what kinda of baby food should I use.

Banned
    Thanks
    Never mind ya'll. I got some help at a gecko forum.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You would have to ask when our resident crestie Guru is moving.
    0.3 Leopard Gecko (Cricket, Princess, Kimberly) 0.1 Cat (Meechie) 1.1 kids and a hubby who has 1.0 red tail boa (Jay) 1.0 ball python (Silent Bob) and my daughter has 0.0.1 Bahama Anole (Liz) and 0.0.1 White Lined Gecko (Boots)

Banned
    Thanks
    I got the cages done, they are freaking awsome. I usd real plants instead, pothos. They cover about 2/3 of the ground space and go almost to the top of the cage. The bamboo looks so nice also. I'm so proud.

Thanks
    Pothos and bamboo are great for cresties, and it sounds like the replacement cages you got ought to work just fine. FWIW, mine do not use their hides at all for going inside, though they do occasionally lurk on them to scope out crickets.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!