Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 507

1 members and 506 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eco Earth

Thanks
    Hey guys I finally found my favorite substrate and its name is Eco Earth... I know a few of you others use it... is Bed a Beast the same thing? I am looking to buy some of those cubes in bulk as locally it is about six bucks for one brick.
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'm glad you asked. I meant to buy EcoEartha and bought Bed-A-Beast instead. I'm experimenting with it on my Mex Black King and am thinking of using it for my other king, corn and soon to buy Blue-Tongue Skink. It seems to make a great burrowing substrate and you can modify if for use with either humidity loving snakes or make it drier for other snakes. I've heard many say they feed on it no problem - but they were talking about EcoEarth. I'm wondering if anyone has used them both and can say what/if any differences there are and if one is better.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well they look almost the same, except Eco-earth is darker.
    Ball Pythons: Link
    If you have any advice for a new keeper pm me.

Banned
    Thanks
    I use Eco Earth for my plated. It's awsome.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have used eco earth in Jojo's house before and it was really messy. It stuck to his belly and got in his water. Oh then trying to clean his cage, i would rather use news paper. IMHO That stuff would be great for maybe an invertibrate or a frog but not for a ball python.
    Thanks,
    Damien
    0.1 2001 Ball Python 1200 grams.
    1.0 1994 Ball Python 3800 Grams.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm afraid I don't know anything about bed-a-beast. Love the eco-earth, though. If I were you, I would check the ingredients and see if they match. If they do, then it's probably just two different brands of the same thing. If bed-a-beast is made of something different, then it should be checked out more carefully.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Darn Bed-aBest doesn't even list ingredients.....just says '100% natural' and stuff like that.

JLC, do you feed on the Eco-Earth like others I've talked to?
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I've been recently feeding on it because my silly snake has become difficult to feed and I didn't want to add to the stress of feeding time by moving him. I made sure the eco-earth stuff claimed it was safe to feed on. So far I haven't seen any negative results, but don't want to proclaim it totally safe until I've had a lot more successful feedings.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    I use Eco-Earth for my ssavanna monitor and my AFT gecko. I love the stuff. The only mild complaint I have it does get into my savannas water cause he likes to swim alot... and I do feed them on it. I have never had a problem with either of them feeding on it. It says it is all natural and digestable on the package.

EDIT/ADDITION:

Eco-Earth does take a bit to dry out once you wet it down to break up the brick...
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    That it does, it certainly took a while to dry out for me. I do feed on it because I have read many things on it and while a few do state worry of impaction most say it's fine. In my personal opinion though it does expand (you have to expand it just to use it) it looks much to tiny to cause impaction unless a full mouthful was swallowed. I honestly haven't seen my snake eat any and I montior every feeding... It only rarely shows up in the water but I change the water every morning. Also it is messy but I've found that if I put a layer of newspaper (like only 1 or 2 at most sheets thick) on the bottom I can just lift up the sides and empty out the substrate saving me scooping time. So far I have tried pieces of cocnut bark (don't feed on those by the way), astro turf (good but REALLY smells and takes a while to get the stink out also can get moldy), wood chips (NEVER cedar or pine), and finally eco earth. I find that eco earth looks better, doesn't really smell, is easy, isn't very expensive, is environmentally friendly, allows for spot cleaning, and isn't a danger if ingested (in almost all cases.. but again.. a full mouthful could be an issue but I'd be surprised if a BP died from impaction from Eco earth). It really looks like a fine dirt, looks like what you might find on a forest floor or something.

EDIT: Just found this link from a post by TigerGenesis! http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...al&Np=1&N=2006
    Thanks Tiger!
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast