Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,484

2 members and 1,482 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey Tiger, Smynx, and Smulkin (or anyone else that has a cali king)
    I had a Cali king a few years ago. He was a cool little snake, but he sure did musk me alot.
    I traded him at the pet store for somthing a little calmer because I was new to herps.
    I have heard a lot of stories about them musking alot, even when they are older.
    How is the temperment of your king?
    I am going to get one soon. Are there particular things I should look for when buying one?

hanks in advance,
    green-man
    1.0 Green tree python

Thanks

Question about Cali kings.

thanks even...
    1.0 Green tree python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i have a baby cali named paco. he's the freakin' bomb, i love him. i can't say he's nice, bc he isn't. you can't expect to have a baby king that wants to be handled. none do. but as they grow, they are so tame from my own experience. ive kept kings all my life... mine musks, but you learn to avoid it... just get it all out of him before you get him out of the cage. and odds are you'll take a bite or two from a baby but nothing painful. beautiful, fun, keep-you-on-your-toes herps...

-Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    Cool thanks Will.
    So you can pretty much expect to get musked from time to time even when he's older huh? To tell ya the truth I do sometimes enjoy the jumpier snakes.

here is a pic of Will's Paco (sorry couldnt resist, hes a good looking snake!)

1.0 Green tree python

Thanks
    We bought our Cali as an adult, and he's fine as long as its not too close to feeding day. Smulkin and our 13 year old handle him without any difficulty. Our durango is just a little baby, and he's musked me before when he didn't want to be held, and I was being persistent. I was amazed at the big smell that little animal put out. Our 14 year old handles him without much of a problem, though. He's pretty squirmy when you first take him out of the tank, though.

If you want a calmer king, go with an adult or subadult. Ask the breeder about its temperament - a good breeder will be up front with you. If you go with a pet store, ask the attendants to get the snake out - if the attendants look nervous, go elsewhere.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    yeah, definitely get an older king if you want something thats going to be calm. my very first real snake (as in real i mean not snagged out of the wild ) was an adult florida king named Jake. he was the bomb.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    Cool thanks for the pointers.
    My Alterna is an awesome snake, he has never musked me though. Never struck at me either, he's just kinda jumpy.
    Im gonna try to talk the wife into letting me go shopping this weekend
    1.0 Green tree python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I always say my little girl has attitude. She likes to do her rattlesnake imitation. She just rattles her tail but I ignore it and pick her up anyway - then she's as calm as anything. She's all talk...or rattle. I do agree, it is kind of nice to have a snake that's a bit more 'spicy' with all the other calm snakes I have.

Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    That is a lot of white, Tiger!
    very cool!
    1.0 Green tree python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks! I thought so too. I couldn't believe noone else bought her. I even got to the show late and wasn't planning on buying anything other than feeders. I saw her and was impressed with how bright her white was. I love her markings, she reminds me of a zebra - even though I named her after a species of penguin.

Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast