Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,478

5 members and 3,473 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks
    I know many of you are involved in various aspects of the computer industry... Due to the fact that the business my buddy and I were trying to start cannot secure any start-up funds it seems I will join the many college grads looking for a job. I would love to work with computers however, my major is in communications and my minor in music business- which leads to my question- what certifications and or credentials look good when trying to get a job with computers - I'm really not picky - IT guy whatever. My basic loves are = People, computers, animals, music. That's about it. Like I said I am a Comm. major so I know how to deal with people now I just need to find something that will prove to others I have computer chops what are some good positions in the computer world?

Thanks for any replies
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

And we join the rat club!

Well on the Microsoft/X86 side there is about a bajillion different certifications. I graduated from college last June and just last month I finally got a decent job in IT that I really like.

Just be patient and take what you can get, experience is your best friend whatever job you can get learn as much as you can. Try to expose yourself to different platforms ie Windows, OS X (of course) and Linux.

Despite what you may hear Apple and Linux are making inroads into the business world. But it still is mostly a Winders world and you should really know your stuff there as well.
    Tiger is Here
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/

1 Red Tail Boa - Jay
    1 Ball Python - Silent Bob
    1 Coastal Carpet Python - Berber
    1 Spoiled princess feline - Meechie
    2 Stinky Rotten Kids
    1 Beautiful wife
    Rest in Peace Amy & Nanners

Banned
    Thanks

question

Macs are becoming popular for college kids, etc. Their simplicity and looks are apealing. But simply falling out of the business world, have been since winders 95 came out

However, linux is the future, there is no doubt about that. Any serious web host already runs off linux. And suse was bought by novell, last I heard they're making an OS to compete with windows. Linux is too complicated thus far to really be practical for common PC use, but no doubt it'll be a major contender with windows a few years from now. Get some good linux knowledge, learn it in an out. Cause it'll come in handy a few years from now, I bet my fingers on it.

For now I'd try and get into a web hosting job. Requires experience, but they're a dime a dozen. That or be a comp dude in some office building.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Anole Viv Makeover

I will beg to disagree with you Godfather, We have almost the same amount of Mac's as PC's at work plus an X-Serve. I have to do alot more maintenence on the PC's than the Mac's.

Granted we are an advertising firm but anyone serious about doing any kind of graphics work or in the television/film industry uses Mac's, as well as the scientific community. Did you like the last 2 X-Men films or the new spiderman movie coming out?

Guess what production all done on Mac's. Not to mention the security benefits of OS X. But I will get down off my pulpet and stop preaching. :lol:
    Tiger is Here
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/

1 Red Tail Boa - Jay
    1 Ball Python - Silent Bob
    1 Coastal Carpet Python - Berber
    1 Spoiled princess feline - Meechie
    2 Stinky Rotten Kids
    1 Beautiful wife
    Rest in Peace Amy & Nanners

Thanks
    Jonah, give some of these a try: http://www.ncsacademy.com/certifications.cfm

If I were just now going into computers, I would focus on something that has a long-term need for ON-SITE people, because so much is being outsourced overseas and that trend is just growing. That means either network configuration and support (Novell, NT, *nix, Mac, wireless and wired) or database (SQL and Access or Oracle). Graphics, user support, production, hosting, all of that kind of thing is very easily outsourced and should be viewed with suspicion, but if they're not networked or the network is down, remote support doesn't work, and if it's a company with heavy database use or potential for it, on-site database management is nearly a must.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    And a little advice courtesy of my father:
    Corporate Lesson #1

A man is getting into the shower just as his wife is finishing up her shower when the doorbell rings. After a few seconds of arguing over which one should go and answer the doorbell, the wife gives up, quickly wraps herself up in a towel and runs downstairs. When she opens the door, there stands Bob, the next door neighbor. Before she could say a word, Bob says, "I'll give you $800 to drop that towel that you have on."

After thinking for a moment, the woman drops her towel and stands naked in front of Bob.

After a few seconds, Bob hands her 800 dollars and leaves. Confused, but excited about her good fortune, the woman wraps back up in the towel and goes back upstairs. When she gets back to the bathroom, her husband asks from the shower, "Who was that?"

"It was Bob, the next door neighbor," she replies.

"Great!" the husband says, "Did he say anything about the $800 he owes me?"

Moral of the story: If you share critical information pertaining to credit and risk with your shareholders in time, you may be in a position to prevent avoidable exposure.

Corporate Lesson #2

A priest was driving along and saw a nun on the side of the road. He stopped and offered her a lift which she accepted. She got in and crossed her legs, forcing her habit to open and reveal a lovely leg. The priest had a look and nearly had an accident. After controlling the car, he stealthily slid his hand up her leg.

The nun looked at him and immediately said, "Father, remember Psalm 129?"

The priest was flustered and apologized profusely. He forced himself to remove his hand. Changing gear, he let his hand slide up her leg
    again.

The nun once again said, "Father, remember Psalm 129?"

Once again the priest apologized, "Sorry, Sister, but the flesh is weak."

Arriving at the convent, the nun got out gave him a meaningful glance and went on her way.

Upon his arrival at the church, the priest rushed to retrieve a bible and looked up Psalm 129. It Said, "Go forth and seek, further up, you will find glory."

Moral of the story: If you are not well informed in your job, you might miss a great opportunity.

Corporate Lesson #3

A sales representative, an administration clerk, and the manager are walking to lunch when they find an antique oil lamp. They rub it and a Genie comes out in a puff of smoke. The Genie says, "I usually only grant three wishes, so I'll give each of you just one."

"Me first! Me first!" says the admin clerk. "I want to be in the Bahamas, driving a speedboat, without a care in the world." Poof! She's gone.
    In astonishment, "Me next! Me next!" says the sales rep. "I want to be in Hawaii, relaxing on the beach with my personal masseuse, an endless supply of pina coladas, and the love of my life." Poof! He's gone.

"OK, you're up," the Genie says to the manager.

The manager says, "I want those two back in the office after lunch."

Moral of the story: Always let your boss have the first say.

Corporate Lesson #4

A crow was sitting on a tree, doing nothing all day. A small rabbit saw the crow and asked him, "Can I also sit like you and do nothing all day long?"

The crow answered: "Sure, why not?"

So, the rabbit sat on the ground below the crow and rested. All of a sudden a fox appeared, jumped on the rabbit and ate it.

Moral of the story: To be sitting and doing nothing, you must be sitting very, very high up.

Corporate Lesson #5

A turkey was chatting with a bull. "I would love to be able to get to the top of that tree," sighed the turkey, but I haven't got the energy."
    "Well, why don't you nibble on some of my droppings?" replied the bull. "They're packed with nutrients."

The turkey pecked at a lump of dung and found that it actually gave him enough strength to reach the lowest branch of the tree. The next day, after eating some more dung, he reached the second branch. Finally after a fourth night, there he was, proudly perched at the top of the tree. Soon, he was promptly spotted by a farmer, who shot the turkey out of the tree.

Moral of the story: Bull**** might get you to the top, but it won't keep you there.

Corporate Lesson #6
    In Africa, every morning a gazelle awakens knowing that it must outrun the fastest lion if it wants to stay alive.

Every morning, a lion wakes up knowing it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death.

Moral of the story: It makes no difference whether you are a gazelle or a lion: When the sun comes up, you had better be hauling butt.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well, I just graduated in May as well with a B. Sc: major in Computer Science and Interdisciplinary major in Commerce.

Right now, I'm taking accounting courses because I'm trying to become an accountant that specializes in IT auditing, which I thought would be a good way to combine computers and commerce.

I'm not sure if that would interest you or not, but it's definitely worth looking into.
    ~40 Ball Pythons (mostly Freeway/Asphalt, Bongo, GHI, and Leopard combos)
    3.8.3 Green Tree Pythons (mostly TM/TW blueline, a few Highland/Wamena)
    1.2 Children's Pythons
    1.2 Cay Caulker Boas
    1.2 Black Fuli House Snakes
    1.0.4 Amazon Tree Boas (1x tiger, 3x halloween garden, 1x garden)

Thanks
    thanks for all those posts! An IT job would be amazing - but again that outsourcing trend... already both my mother and fathers companies use people from India for tech help. Thank you guys so much for the replies I'll have to pick it apart and find out what sort of credentials I need to get my foot in the door but all this info was more than I could hope for! Thanks!

Banned
    Thanks
    Ahhh, yes I'm sorry MacWin, macs are favoured by graphic designers, video editors, etc.

Thanks
    don't forget musicians Godfather - I have yet to be in a studio that isn't run on Macs I'd just like to work at something involving computers - I love that whole man vs. machine thing... i must beat this machine and give the people bandwidth!!!