Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,231

2 members and 3,229 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Newbie Ball python owner with a couple of questions

You can also try covering the rack or blacking out the sides of her tub. I've had good results using this trick with fresh imports or stubborn hatchlings. As far as cluttering the tub up, you want it so she can't really move without touching something, even if its just crumpled paper or fake plants. I've also found it helpful to make the bedding really deep so there's less of a gap between the bedding and the top of the tub (for some reason I've had the best luck using cypress mulch for this).

As far as switching to F/T goes, my experience (I fed F/T until we started breeding feeders) was that it was easier to get them eating consistently and then make the switch. BPs can be shy eaters, but they also seem to need some movement from the prey to eat. So the problem with starting with F/T is that you have to be standing there to make the prey move.

Thanks

Re: Newbie Ball python owner with a couple of questions

Quote Originally Posted by seang89 View Post
    Just make the few adjustments, give her time to settle in. Always feed in the least disturbing manor with baby balls. They frighten easily and will not eat if something spooks them.

Tips would be,
    Make sure the prey is really warm. not just room temp or slightly above. It really triggers better feeding response.
    Try feeding at night when active, again try not to spook the snake with any loud vibrations or the likes, shadows and whatnot.

Baby balls can be picky, but most will come around when they're hungry enough. Don't be discouraged, no need to re-home it. All it may take is a simple assist feed to get it eating again, but you're not at that point just yet.
    Thank you so much. Rehoming is the last thing I want as I care for every one of my snakes. She isn't really active at night, more so in the late morning/early afternoon. I am going to heat up a mouse now, and try tonight. It's been since Tuesday since I tried, as I knew I'd have this weekend off work to reheat the mouse if necessary. Thank you again, and when should I worry about assist feeding? Never done it or had to and don't want to injure her. Should I keep weekly, every other day weights. I know I am being ridiculous about this but I've had one baby die on me about 9 months ago. Don't ever want to go through that again.

Thanks

Re: Newbie Ball python owner with a couple of questions

Quote Originally Posted by kendra319 View Post
    Thank you so much. Rehoming is the last thing I want as I care for every one of my snakes. She isn't really active at night, more so in the late morning/early afternoon. I am going to heat up a mouse now, and try tonight. It's been since Tuesday since I tried, as I knew I'd have this weekend off work to reheat the mouse if necessary. Thank you again, and when should I worry about assist feeding? Never done it or had to and don't want to injure her. Should I keep weekly, every other day weights. I know I am being ridiculous about this but I've had one baby die on me about 9 months ago. Don't ever want to go through that again.
    You should worry about assist feeding when the snake is losing notable weight. Weigh it once a week or so, no need to bother it every other day. I'd weigh it after you've tried to feed it, if it won't eat and you've already been disturbing it, may as well weigh it, put her back and try again in 5 days.
    Right now just focus on letting her settle in and get comfortable. And offering nicely warm prey without spooking her.

This is what assist feeding is like. Look others up as well, its not peaches and cream all the time, it can be hard to do, but in the end, it will help the snake on the right path.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO4r2AyzvfQ

So did you find out how many meals it has had? what the previous owner had been feeding her?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12