Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,354

3 members and 3,351 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Doesen't get much cheaper then this.

Thanks
    Is it me or when you go to the hardwear store there are lots and lots of cheap but nice gutter supplies that make great looking hides....and they are like 1 buck! I think i go to the hardwear store for everything now.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I won't post a pic, because everyone knows what they look like......toilet paper and paper towel rolls. Espcially for the younger/smaller snakes. Big hit with my colubrids.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    I have a question about hides if I may. The first year or so with my first BP i setup a hide, a clear plastic tub. He used it normally off and on then gradually stopped using it. He started taking to trying to hide undernieth it, and he's been this way the past couple years. I have a yearling acting in a similiar manor also. I think I already know my answer but was just wondering if anyone can confirm this or agrees. I'm thinking that because its a clear type plastic, it lets to much light through it and the snake doesn't feel like he's really hiding...I will be changing to something a more solid color color as soon as I find something and see if he likes it more.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    They do prefer a darker environment when they are 'hiding'...I would suggest using something that doesn't let in so much light....also, what do you mean by 'hiding underneath it'? If they are underneath it, they essentially they are in it....confused me a bit....
    ~Caren~
    "Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." Confucius
    1.0 Other Half - Mark, 0.1 Child - Samantha
    1.0.2 BP:Smitty,Sophie,Unamed One, 1.1 Cali King:Serpico,Simone
    1.2 Canines, 0.2 Felines
    1.1 RES Turtles - Thomas & Thomasina

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TekWarren
    I have a question about hides if I may. The first year or so with my first BP i setup a hide, a clear plastic tub. He used it normally off and on then gradually stopped using it. He started taking to trying to hide undernieth it, and he's been this way the past couple years. I have a yearling acting in a similiar manor also. I think I already know my answer but was just wondering if anyone can confirm this or agrees. I'm thinking that because its a clear type plastic, it lets to much light through it and the snake doesn't feel like he's really hiding...I will be changing to something a more solid color color as soon as I find something and see if he likes it more.
    Yep - you're right. They like low, snug, solid colored hides - these provide great security. My BP also only uses round hides - that way he's touching all sides. Won't even go in his half log hide, but crawls on top.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    There is another alternative. Not that my wife would ever let me use them in her "designer" enclosures. Irrigation Valve boxes from home depot. They come in different sizes for different snakes and you can take the top off them if you want to take a look inside without moving the hide.

Thanks

My set-up

I'm able to get my "Mosser Lee" sphagnum moss from my local garden supply. I got the 432 CU IN bag for $5. Now if I can just get the right size humid hide....... :roll:

Danielle

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sophie42204
    They do prefer a darker environment when they are 'hiding'...I would suggest using something that doesn't let in so much light....also, what do you mean by 'hiding underneath it'? If they are underneath it, they essentially they are in it....confused me a bit....
    With my hides I use the whole container, lid and all. I cut a hole a bit larger than the snake is on the top and on one side of the cantainer. I usually keep moss inside and keep it misted so it holds moisture off and on. When I say under...I literally mean UNDER the container, not inside or under something that is upside down with no lid...yes it looks a tad odd but they do as they will. Thanks for the comments and I will be looking for something different and a little smaller so they may feel more secure inside.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123