Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,775

3 members and 1,772 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Bringing a BP home

I'm purchasing a young Ball from a specialty store pretty soon, and just want to know what a good "process" would be for bringing them home (20-30 min car ride likely in a box or whatever the store gives me, or i may bring my own small locking vented tub). The terrarium will be set up in the spare bedroom, should I just leave the box in there and let him come out on his own and give him some privacy? Do you avoid handling for the first week or so? and should I take him to a vet for a "check up" right away?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    That short ride will be fine. Just make sure the vehicle is not super hot or cold. Keeping the a/c cool but not cold should be good. Do not place the container near any vents. Remember most modern cars have floor vents so look close if you keep it on the floor.

Placing the snake in the new home is fine and yes we usually suggest not handling for 7-10 days.

The vet is up to you. If it is cbb from a good breeder then you probably do not have much to worry about. If its wild caught or from new wild caught parents a vet check might be a good choice.
    Last edited by KMG; 05-12-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Bringing a BP home

Also keep the container away from windows/direct sunlight, especially if its a clear container. You would be amazed at how fast a closed container can get dangerously hot if the sun is hitting it. Even if the ac is on.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FireStorm For This Useful Post:

KMG (05-12-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Re: Bringing a BP home

Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
    Also keep the container away from windows/direct sunlight, especially if its a clear container. You would be amazed at how fast a closed container can get dangerously hot if the sun is hitting it. Even if the ac is on.
    Good call! My windows have dark tent so I never think about that.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: Bringing a BP home

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Placing the snake in the new home is fine and yes we usually suggest not handling for 7-10 days.
    Out of curiosity, how important is it not to handle the new snake for the first week or so? I only ask because when we got our first two BPs (before I ever discovered this forum), we handled them almost daily from the first day we brought them home and did not notice any negative effects. Also, we have been handling the baby girl I picked up earlier this week on a daily basis and also have not seen any negative effects. In fact, she ate two rat pups yesterday (of course, I didn't handle her yesterday at all because it was feeding day). So, I'm just wondering whether we were lucky or whether we could have done some harm by the immediate handling.

Thanks
    Handling a new snake, especially a baby, can cause them to go off feed, especially if they're in a completely new environment. Every snake reacts differently and some don't mind being handled while others don't like it and don't eat. If she's eating and you're waiting 24-48 hours after feeding before handling to allow for digestion then there's really no harm in handling for short periods of time.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Inarikins For This Useful Post:

BPGuy (05-13-2013)

Thanks
    It's just for them to feel safe about their surroundings and eat without being messed with. Some snakes are more picky, I think you did get lucky with some good feeders.
    Chloe
    0.1 Het Hypo- Indy
    The cup is useful because of it's emptiness

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Capray For This Useful Post:

BPGuy (05-13-2013)

Thanks

Bringing a BP home

Thanks for explaining that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    ~Jay
    ---------------
    Two normal male BPs, one super pastel female BP, and a hypo citrus trans bearded dragon. All BPs in a 5 tub Reptile Basics CB-70 rack. Beardie in a 20 gallon long tank.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    All snakes are different. Some are fine with handling right when you bring them home, others need some time to realize that they are safe and not in danger. If you start handling a shy snake too soon, the snake might not eat. Best to get the snake eating first, then start with some handling.

As far as what to do with the snake in the car.. I like to use snake bags, then put the snake in a secure tub. Keep the snake out of direct sunlight and it should be fine as long as the car isn't super hot or super cold. The tub should help insulate if its a little colder.

When you get home, just take the snake out of the box/bag/whatever and put it in its new home. You don't need to let the snake get out on its own unless you think it might bite you for some reason. This isn't really a problem with ball pythons though since they are so gentle. I let my tree snakes leave the container on their own just because I don't like to mess with them needlessly, especially when I first bring them home.
    ~Steffe