Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,211

1 members and 3,210 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    hey guys, i was almost going to buy a leo gecko, for my 10 gal tank, but who am i kidding, i REALLY wanna beardie lol, so im just wondering if i get one( baby ) then what would you guys recommened for its encloser?
    I know a 55 gal would do the job, but i really dont have 300$ rite now to buy one, so is there any subsitutions? besides making your own cage?
    sterlite , rubber maid etc.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Beardie Encloser

I know with lizards you would have to put a basking lamp for them. But i am sure a sterite would work fine.
    Thanks,
    Damien
    0.1 2001 Ball Python 1200 grams.
    1.0 1994 Ball Python 3800 Grams.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, they don't need one that big when they are babies. I've got Shaggy in a 20-long. That size would be good for about a year if you start with a baby. And if you get a "Critter Cage" instead of a true aquarium, they cost a LOT less. (Look just like an aquarium, but with less-expensive glass and seals since they aren't made to hold water.)
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    so what size sterlite am i looking at?, and does anybody know a canadian breeder ( or american dealer that will ship to canada ), and what is a
    ball-park price on one of theese guys?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ballpark price is usually around $50 for a normal one. They come in a variety of morphs that can raise the price a fair amount...but even the morphs aren't expensive compared to most other species' morphs. I don't know who would ship to Canada, but you could check the Canadian version of Kingsnake.com and see if they have some breeders listed there.

As for the sterelite...I think it would actually be harder to work with than a glass tank because they need a lot of ventilation and a very hot lamp for the basking spot, as well as an addional UVB bulb. So you'd basically have to make a whole new screened lid for it. But if you're handy that way, it could still be cheaper than a glass tank. OR...I guess if it's deep enough, you could just leave it lidless...making sure there's nothing high enough for him to climb and jump out of. (They can jump...but not TOO high)...then you'd have to find a way to suspend a heat lamp and UVB bulb.
    -- Judy