Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,082

2 members and 3,080 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Caging upgrade, could use some major help!

My bp is around two years old now, and at just about 2.5-3ft. She's currently in a glass 20gal with bare minimum in decor and I'm not fond of her being in a glass tank anymore. Humidity and heat are a pain, the glass streaks, etc. All the cons you guys have heard of before!

So now I'm looking to upgrade her, and that's where I find myself at a bit of a loss. I've read/looked through the DIY cages section and found tons of things I'd love to do, but space is a slight problem here. I'd really like to do a under-the-bed sterilite type container, but the deeper ones are fine just as well if it is what is best. I hear a lot of the 'it should be at LEAST this qt size!' but what is an ideal? Bigger the better or no?

On to the how-to's. Sorry guys! I just want to make sure everything is in order and I won't accidentally harm her.

Ventilation - Burn holes in the side with a soldering gun, right? Be careful of adding too many/too less and watch for harsh edges.

UTH - Currently I've been using a UTH from either zoomed or the others available. I'm not comfortable with flexwatt if only because of my lack of know-how on setting it up and watching it, but I'd be more than happy to switch to that. At any rate, how do I attach a zoomed-type to the bottom of the container? I'm assuming I DON'T attach it like on a glass tank? I.E peeling off and sticking it? Instead to use foil tape to secure it with the backside on? /shrug.

Security - Some tops are loose, and in that case use binder clips, or I was thinking if need be solder some holes on the edge and tie them? Inconvenient, yes. I have a cat though, and I'll take that over snake-toy.

Thank you guys so much, I've repeatedly came back to this forum with both worries and just to look/adore at the informative threads going on. I appreciate any help you guys can offer.

P.S - Pangea is running a sale on their substrate heaters, ..insert 'could I use that instead' here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Heat a tub is more difficult in some ways than a tank. If you have good ambients it is easy if you don't? It is very very hard there is no good and safe option to do so with a tub. I would suggest a plastic enclosure over a tub in my experience tubs are the most difficult, racks next, tanks then custom enclosures the easiest, my house is cool at best (to me 69ºF is normal so below that most of the time.) I like vision enclosures because they are easy to clean (round corners) but there are a whole range of slab built types out there as well.

Thanks

Re: Caging upgrade, could use some major help!

My house is naturally warm in summer, usually hovering between mid 70's. Unfortunately, in winter it's quite cold. That's why I'd prefer a heating element if I was to have a tub. I can't just use a space heater in my room in winter either, as I have a gecko who can't handle 80's. Out of curiosity of the vision enclosures, which would be best? If I were to go that way. Do you have any other suggestions, as well?
    Last edited by Cinne; 05-12-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

Any ideas?

Thanks
    move the gecko out into another area of the house?

Thanks

I'd rather not, because this way I can keep an eye on him plus, I like him where he is at. Should I x-post this over to DIY?

Thanks

Caging upgrade, could use some major help!

I will be using a short sterilite container with some type of clips and a heating mat. Plus extra humidity foliage and maybe a heating element(that won't burn) should be good if you watch the temps.. I heard somewhere that it should be atleast 2/3 the size of your snake, and not as big as twice the size.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    How are you planning to heat the air?
    BP need ambient air temps of at the very least 75ºF and most prefer to be 77-85ºF UTH do not heat air.

With a tub in a cool room you will need to heat the air and there are few safe options (no safe options I don't think a lamp over plastic is a good idea)

Visions are insulated and reasonably efficient however depending on the temp the room drops to below 75º I'd not suggest one. I'd look at AP or boaphile that you can mount a fluorescent light inside of they will heat the air very efficiently. Over night a deep blue LED will also heat the air (electrical components get warm) but neither will become hot enough to burn. Many are skeptical so if you have a FL light in your home (CFL or tube) one evening when it has been on for a while stick you hand on it if it is about the same temp or feels warm that is all you need some CFLs get bloody hot. (don't use CFLs)

Hosted on Fotki
    32.5ºC=90.5ºF
    Hosted on Fotki