Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,332

1 members and 3,331 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Just because you choose to ignore a person doesn't mean that they've chosen to ignore you. This is a public forum and if you're making posts, you don't get to pick and choose who gets to see them or reply to them. You have the option of NOT clicking on the link that will show you an ignored person's post. If you want to say something and don't want another person to see, take it to PM rather than putting it out there in an open discussion format. EDIT: Thinking about it, this is a Facebook type mentality. I don't like this person or that person, so I'm going to defriend them and that should make it so they can't even see what I post... That's not how forums work.

I can see how it could be frustrating to see a person you've chosen to ignore being quoted, but you also have the choice when you see the post and see that user has been quoted, to scroll down without reading.

I guess I just don't get why people are so upset about seeing that someone else posted on the forum...
    Last edited by Inknsteel; 05-08-2013 at 06:19 PM.
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inknsteel For This Useful Post:

Coleslaw007 (05-08-2013),Dave Green (05-08-2013),DooLittle (05-08-2013),I-KandyReptiles (05-08-2013),wolfy-hound (05-08-2013)

BPnet Senior Member meowmeowkazoo's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Better Ignore Feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbafett View Post
    He already said they can't do it..
    It can be done. My husband is a web programmer. It's a matter of whether they choose to do it or not.
    [Python regius]
    1.0 Black Butter Pinstripe (Amazeballs), 1.0 Pastel Butter Leopard (Thunderbeeper)
    0.1 Spider (Charlotte), 0.1 Leopard (Spot), 0.1 Pastel (Buttercup), Fire Sugar (Abaddon), Crystal (Opalescence)

[Python brongersmai]
    1.1 T+ Albino (Kushiel & Carmilla)

[Boa imperator]
    1.0 Hypo 100% Het Leopard/66% Het Albino (Darcy)
    0.1 66% Het Leopard/Albino (Gabby)

[Colubrids]
    0.1 Cave-dwelling Rat Snakes (Betty Spaghetti)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    I don't think that would work. You'd be reading a thread and it'd look like people were talking to themselves and quoting nothing lol.
    That's not really an issue on other sites. People generally aren't THAT easily confused.
    [Python regius]
    1.0 Black Butter Pinstripe (Amazeballs), 1.0 Pastel Butter Leopard (Thunderbeeper)
    0.1 Spider (Charlotte), 0.1 Leopard (Spot), 0.1 Pastel (Buttercup), Fire Sugar (Abaddon), Crystal (Opalescence)

[Python brongersmai]

[Boa imperator]

[Colubrids]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Well said. Just because one user doesn't like member X, doesn't mean that member X doesn't exist on the forum. They have every right to see all of the postings and stuff on the site, just like every other member in good standing here.

If Member X does so much bad stuff that they should no longer have that right, they'd have been issued warning points and real points and be banned by staff. So unless staff decides that member X is not welcome here, they get to be a site user, just like all the rest of us. You can't block out your posts just because you don't like them. I don't actually know of any forums that do that, actually, although I'm not a member of tons of sites.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

To clarify,

I did look to see if there was a plugin which did this but the only one I could find has not been maintained and stopped working a few iterations of vbulletin ago.

It also did nothing to prevent the quoted posts showing up in the first place.

Sorry but I don't see this being possible any time soon.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inknsteel View Post
    Just because you choose to ignore a person doesn't mean that they've chosen to ignore you. This is a public forum and if you're making posts, you don't get to pick and choose who gets to see them or reply to them. You have the option of NOT clicking on the link that will show you an ignored person's post. If you want to say something and don't want another person to see, take it to PM rather than putting it out there in an open discussion format. EDIT: Thinking about it, this is a Facebook type mentality. I don't like this person or that person, so I'm going to defriend them and that should make it so they can't even see what I post... That's not how forums work.

I can see how it could be frustrating to see a person you've chosen to ignore being quoted, but you also have the choice when you see the post and see that user has been quoted, to scroll down without reading.

I guess I just don't get why people are so upset about seeing that someone else posted on the forum...

When you have been harassed by an individual or a group of individuals, it might be more clear to you why a person would want this feature. I want to be able to use and enjoy the site without worrying about being harassed by people who can see my posts and stalk me that way. People who choose to view my posts so that they can criticize or harass me.

Just because that's not how THIS forum works doesn't mean that's not how forums work in general. I have been using forums for over a decade now, and this one is very unique in how the ignore feature is carried out. Facebook is a very recent example, but there are many, many other forums that work in the way I'm asking for here.

If you offend someone to the point of them wanting to ignore you, why should it matter if you can see their posts or not? I've never been bothered when somebody ignores me and I can't see their posts.
    [Python regius]

[Python brongersmai]

[Boa imperator]

[Colubrids]

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meowmeowkazoo View Post
    It can be done. My husband is a web programmer. It's a matter of whether they choose to do it or not.
    Yes I could try and restrict the "view post" template to staff only - that however still leaves the glaring problem of what happens if you click the "unread posts" button and it happened to be one that was made by someone on your ignore list as your account would not have permission to use it. It also doesn't work on the quote option.

I'm not risking messing up the database and generating repeated avoidable error reports just because a very few members have trouble with self control.

Have your husband work on it and have it tested on vbulletin.org with different versions and get back to us if you like.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Coleslaw007 (05-08-2013),DooLittle (05-08-2013),I-KandyReptiles (05-08-2013),Mike41793 (05-08-2013),rabernet (05-09-2013),wolfy-hound (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

When you have been harassed by an individual or a group of individuals, it might be more clear to you why a person would want this feature. I want to be able to use and enjoy the site without worrying about being harassed by people who can see my posts and stalk me that way. People who choose to view my posts so that they can criticize or harass me.

Just because that's not how THIS forum works doesn't mean that's not how forums work in general. I have been using forums for over a decade now, and this one is very unique in how the ignore feature is carried out. Facebook is a very recent example, but there are many, many other forums that work in the way I'm asking for here.

If you offend someone to the point of them wanting to ignore you, why should it matter if you can see their posts or not? I've never been bothered when somebody ignores me and I can't see their posts.

Oh really?? I've been harassed to the point of involving federal authorities. I'm simply astounded at the idea that you've got a WHOLE decade on the internet using forums. Really. Honestly, cause you know, that's a really long time and obviously, the fact that I'm really old and remember when computers were the size of rooms and used punch cards shouldn't come into the argument... but there you go.

The fact is that you have NO right to not be offended. I don't know where the idea started, but it's false. If you don't like that a site includes a person you don't like, then you get to leave that site behind you. Oh? What's that? Do I hear a "You wouldn't say that if it were YOU!" comment? Cause I have, and did. I left a site that I had belonged to for a DECADE and that I was a site admin on! All because of one single harasser that the site owner would not ban, because he never broke the site rules, all his harassment was outside of the public site.

It's a public forum and if you post something on here, it is viewable by everyone who visits. To hide your public posts from someone who has not been banned from viewing the site would be unfair.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

ChaosAffect (05-08-2013),Coleslaw007 (05-08-2013),DooLittle (05-08-2013),I-KandyReptiles (05-08-2013),satomi325 (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

If you are being harassed, then take it up with the staff and report the incident(s).
    If there is any foul play, the mods will address it accordingly.

And no offense, but you might just have to buck up and grow a thicker hide.....

A certain resident German with the name that starts with a K and ends with an N is a prime example of someone who I cannot stand. Some of the stuff he says makes me want to gouge my eyes out. I have yet to ignore him. I'm sure many of the people here have seen us butt heads on multiple occasions. Yes, a lot of the bull that comes out of his mouth bothers me, but I do not take it personally.

I suggest you just not take it so personally. This is the internet. A public forum in fact. These people don't know you and you don't know them. You probably will never ever meet them in person anyway. And have you ever thought that they're trying to antagonize you on purpose? Just don't take it personally. Done and Done.
    Last edited by satomi325; 05-08-2013 at 07:17 PM.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

ChaosAffect (05-08-2013),Coleslaw007 (05-08-2013),DooLittle (05-08-2013),I-KandyReptiles (05-08-2013),wolfy-hound (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts

What happens when you post a care guide, DIY guide, or have any post with good information? Should they, because they offended you somehow, now be without that information?

Personally I think the ignore feature is completely unnecessary. I refuse to let anyone on the internet alter my feelings to the point of feeling "harassed". I'm sorry someone or some people have affected you so much that you feel that "I never even want to know they exist".

If they are truly harassing you, that is against tos and should be reported. If you just don't like that they criticize you, well...I'm sorry hun, but get over it. Nothing anywhere says you have to read or reply to them, or that you have to click "show post".

There is no "ignore" feature in real life. Learn to deal with people who irritate you, or learn to let it roll off your back. Don't let people, in real life or online, who have no value in your life, ruffle your feathers so much. By letting them have so much power over you, you are giving them value, where non is required.

Just my 2¢ and hopefully you understand I am not trying to attack you. Just a different perspective is all.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RoseyReps For This Useful Post:

ChaosAffect (05-08-2013),Coleslaw007 (05-08-2013),DooLittle (05-08-2013),Foschi Exotic Serpents (05-09-2013),satomi325 (05-08-2013),snakesRkewl (05-08-2013),wolfy-hound (05-08-2013)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast