Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,776

2 members and 2,774 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

SYR vs. Reptiles Express: MAJOR price difference

So I'm getting ready to ship some Balls for the first time and since I don't have the certification necessary I was going to ship through SYR. Went and checked their web site and to ship a 16x16x8 box weighing approximately 2lbs they want $103! This seemed high to me so I poked around a bit, stumbled upon Reptiles Express and went through the process with them. $63. These weren't quotes, I went all the way to checkout on both sites.

I contacted SYR and they claim their rates are correct. So what's the deal? Is SYR gouging, or are the foks at Reptiles Express just uber-generous (or really good at negotiating a discount with FedEx!).

Thought I'd share this with y'all and get your input.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: SYR vs. Reptiles Express: MAJOR price difference

I'm not entirely certain and could be totally wrong, but isn't RE strictly in Canada? And Canada - US import shipping? (Not US to US shipping)
    Shipping and postage here in the US could be more expensive than CAN, which would make sense for the price difference....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 05-06-2013 at 12:28 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (05-30-2013)

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

Keep in mind in order to use Reptile Express services you need to buy the box and packing material from them (this is how they were able to get the contracts with the couriers) and the smallest box will run you $17+shipping to get the packing materials to you(about $24 last I checked) so that puts your price at $104 for Reptile Express

Thanks

Also, you can't do checkout on Reptile Express for anything other than shipping materials. They don't have thr ability to give real-time quotes onsite either, so I think your numbers are inaccurate. If you went to checkout - that was your cost for the shipping materials + shipping the materials to you.

To get the actual cost of transporting that box, you need to email Sam directly.
    Last edited by SquamishSerpents; 05-06-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Make sure the RE price you are seeing is for Priority Overnight, as well. Two-Day shipping is MUCH cheaper, but obviously should not be used for live animals.

As a side note - Are you sure you need that big of a box? Rates go up quickly when you use larger boxes, and based on a 2# weight, it doesn't seem like you need those dimensions.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SquamishSerpents View Post
    Keep in mind in order to use Reptile Express services you need to buy the box and packing material from them (this is how they were able to get the contracts with the couriers) and the smallest box will run you $17+shipping to get the packing materials to you(about $24 last I checked) so that puts your price at $104 for Reptile Express
    Nope. US.

Quote Originally Posted by SquamishSerpents View Post
    Also, you can't do checkout on Reptile Express for anything other than shipping materials. They don't have thr ability to give real-time quotes onsite either, so I think your numbers are inaccurate. If you went to checkout - that was your cost for the shipping materials + shipping the materials to you.

To get the actual cost of transporting that box, you need to email Sam directly.
    Incorrect. You have to register for an account and have it approved, but once you do that you can check out online. No where does it say that you have to use THEIR shipping supplies. It only says "Approved Shipping Supplies", and I doubt they'd have any argument with the kits from SYR. The item in the cart is a FedEx Label. I've attached a picture for proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Annarose15 View Post
    Make sure the RE price you are seeing is for Priority Overnight, as well. Two-Day shipping is MUCH cheaper, but obviously should not be used for live animals.

As a side note - Are you sure you need that big of a box? Rates go up quickly when you use larger boxes, and based on a 2# weight, it doesn't seem like you need those dimensions.
    It's for Priority Overnight as the attached pic shows.

I'm shipping four snakes, so yeah, I think the box size is appropriate. The weight is a guesstimate based on the combined weight of the four animals and a stab in the dark on the weight of the packing materials.

Note: Though it says "Please Add Shipping Box" it lets me go all the way to PayPal without doing it.

Thanks

Oh oops, different company than the one in Canada I believe, sorry about that!

If its the same company as the one in Canada I assume they're able to offer real time quotes due to different courier regulations. For example Fedexing snakes in US is no problem but you can't use FedEx in Canada unless you're hiring Reptile Express to contract it out.

Thanks

I think I came off a little "I know best" in that last comment, and I don't. Just to verify: I'm shipping 4 2012 Ball Pythons with a total weight of 660g. Which box size do you think would be best: 9x9x9, 12x9,6, 11x11x7? Bigger or Smaller?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosAffect View Post
    I think I came off a little "I know best" in that last comment, and I don't. Just to verify: I'm shipping 4 2012 Ball Pythons with a total weight of 660g. Which box size do you think would be best: 9x9x9, 12x9,6, 11x11x7? Bigger or Smaller?
    No offense taken. I've shipped two small hatchlings in the same 7x7x7 box (~220g total), but don't have any experience with shipping more animals than that at a time. My guess is you might be able to get away with a 12x9 or 11x11, but I'll let someone else chime in on that. As for the price discrepancy between the services, I'm out of ideas.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

No offense taken. I've shipped two small hatchlings in the same 7x7x7 box (~220g total), but don't have any experience with shipping more animals than that at a time. My guess is you might be able to get away with a 12x9 or 11x11, but I'll let someone else chime in on that. As for the price discrepancy between the services, I'm out of ideas.
    I did a test fit in a 6.5x6.5x6.5 box that I've got lying around. They all fit in there snugly with little room to spare. I figure with a 9x9x9 I'd have room for some newspaper and the heat or cold pack depending on temp.

The question here is do they need much empty space? They're not going to be packed in tight, but it will be a fairly snug fit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast