Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,912

0 members and 2,912 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

What is your best display snake??

I think a thread like this will help a lot of folks looking for the "perfect pet display snake".

I can chime in and add my own opinion, but the truth is, I don't have every species of snake and I will never have all of the snakes I want to own.

There are a number of keepers here that have several different species and we all have our own thoughts on what a good display animal should be.

I personally feel a good display animal should be somewhat active and display arboreal and terrestrial activity, or be very busy and aware of it's surroundings.

I think an animal that is not prone to constant hiding, or showing extremely shy, secretive behavior is a much better display animal than one that you never see obviously.

An animal that will use ALL options provided in a DISPLAY setup is something to behold.

This is not about favorites, or necessarily colors and pattern though beauty can factor in. This is more about what a person looking to be "wowed" by a pet snake would want to see if they had a cage in the center of a room.

If you keep your snakes in a display type setup what do you find to be your "Go To" display animal?

I can't choose a favorite between my boa constrictor and my coastal carpet, sorry royal fans I'm not that into our royal python. I can say that after observing my animals for some time now the coastal carpet python is the best display animal in the collection.

She is always out in the open, always climbing and perching and always active in the evening. This is remember, snake relative and none of this will compare to other animals that are constantly on the move. Ambush predation requires a lot of sedentary activity and in general, snakes are not exactly entertaining but we can narrow down some choices by hearing from folks who have kept several different species over the years.

Let's set up some criteria.

Out in the open: This does not mean active, but simply what it says. If given hides or cover will the snake use them or will it feel secure resting in the open?

Activity level: Is the snake active fairly often? Is it active day or night, or both? Do you seem to always see it doing something most days/nights?

Arboreal/semi arboreal: Does the snake spend an equal amount of time using the ground or using perches off the floor? I think we could include
    snakes here that will climb and are not considered semi arboreal, but will just move over or use any obstacle in the cage.

Feel free to add more here, but try to avoid a bias if possible. For instance, if I was asked to help somebody find a great display snake and had to choose between my BC or my carpet based on the above 3 areas, I'd have to pick the carpet even if I favored the BC as my first love.

The carpet is a busier animal, hangs in the open more, as always doing something, moves faster and is 50-50 ground and perches.

A green tree python may not be active, but they are out in the open and perched. They would obviously beat out a burrowing snake, but not a carpet IMO.

If you were going to help a person choose a great display snake what would you pick and why? Friendly and easy to handle are not part of the equation.

Have some fun with it!

Thanks

Re: What is your best display snake??

My children's python is by and far my best display snake. He is almost always "out and about," and is prone to laying out and climbing when he has space.

Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hypancistrus For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-15-2016),hazzaram (02-16-2016)

Thanks
    Thanks for contributing!

The Aussie snakes really seem to move toward the top of the list in a lot of cases. I'll see what others have to say. If you can, include the snakes in your collection you are comparing your "star" against.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,487 Times in 2,686 Posts

I'd have to agree with you on carpets being great display animals and exactly for the reasons you stated. They're beautiful for starters and they hang out in the open regularly whether perching or roaming their enclosures. My coastal is pretty active as well, especially when he's hungry. My jungle just perches and waits for food.
    As far as activity levels I'd have to say my bull snakes are my most outgoing snakes. They hang out in the open often, sometimes even during shed, and they're very active in their enclosures mostly during the evening but also during the day. They're not as "pretty" as my carpets but they're impressive critters.
    All in all I'd give the edge to the carpets because of their aesthetics and semi arboreal traits.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-15-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    I'd have to agree with you on carpets being great display animals and exactly for the reasons you stated. They're beautiful for starters and they hang out in the open regularly whether perching or roaming their enclosures. My coastal is pretty active as well, especially when he's hungry. My jungle just perches and waits for food.
    As far as activity levels I'd have to say my bull snakes are my most outgoing snakes. They hang out in the open often, sometimes even during shed, and they're very active in their enclosures mostly during the evening but also during the day. They're not as "pretty" as my carpets but they're impressive critters.
    All in all I'd give the edge to the carpets because of their aesthetics and semi arboreal traits.
    Great insight Zig. I've had the opportunity to do some field herping and see Bulls in the wild here in MN. I find them very pretty and they are interesting. We find them in flat fields and burrowing in holes in the ground, but they are not timid when handled and don't see too afraid to lie out in an open field. There is a video of a red tailed hawk trying to prey on a bull. The end result was a constricted hawk. Quite impressive IMO.

I agree though, carpets display very well. I'm curious to hear from others.

This is a daily occurrence here.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Out of my collection the only one out and about on a regular basis is my hognose. Not arboreal but she's pretty active and not shy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-16-2016)

Thanks

My carpets (Bredli and a jungle) are definitely the winners in our house. They were both nippy to start with, but have settled down into nice ones to handle. And Yurlunggur (aka Bruce) is eye-catching, to boot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-16-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    The Best Display Snake Ever!!!!

Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-16-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Philippe de Vosjoli's, The Art of Keeping Snakes is all about display, and some specific opinions. Worth a read, if you are planning to pursue this. He especially likes water snakes, but that is for sure far more involved than your *basic* bio-active planted viv.

I actually want to keep a trio of garters in an extra long planted viv with a swimming area. I'll keep a separate aquarium to raise safe fish in to add to their water feature. Won't happen for at least a year. No room in this house for more big vivs.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

What is your best display snake??

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I think a thread like this will help a lot of folks looking for the "perfect pet display snake".

I can chime in and add my own opinion, but the truth is, I don't have every species of snake and I will never have all of the snakes I want to own.

There are a number of keepers here that have several different species and we all have our own thoughts on what a good display animal should be.

I personally feel a good display animal should be somewhat active and display arboreal and terrestrial activity, or be very busy and aware of it's surroundings.

I think an animal that is not prone to constant hiding, or showing extremely shy, secretive behavior is a much better display animal than one that you never see obviously.

An animal that will use ALL options provided in a DISPLAY setup is something to behold.

This is not about favorites, or necessarily colors and pattern though beauty can factor in. This is more about what a person looking to be "wowed" by a pet snake would want to see if they had a cage in the center of a room.

If you keep your snakes in a display type setup what do you find to be your "Go To" display animal?

I can't choose a favorite between my boa constrictor and my coastal carpet, sorry royal fans I'm not that into our royal python. I can say that after observing my animals for some time now the coastal carpet python is the best display animal in the collection.

She is always out in the open, always climbing and perching and always active in the evening. This is remember, snake relative and none of this will compare to other animals that are constantly on the move. Ambush predation requires a lot of sedentary activity and in general, snakes are not exactly entertaining but we can narrow down some choices by hearing from folks who have kept several different species over the years.

Let's set up some criteria.

Out in the open: This does not mean active, but simply what it says. If given hides or cover will the snake use them or will it feel secure resting in the open?

Activity level: Is the snake active fairly often? Is it active day or night, or both? Do you seem to always see it doing something most days/nights?

Arboreal/semi arboreal: Does the snake spend an equal amount of time using the ground or using perches off the floor? I think we could include
    snakes here that will climb and are not considered semi arboreal, but will just move over or use any obstacle in the cage.

Feel free to add more here, but try to avoid a bias if possible. For instance, if I was asked to help somebody find a great display snake and had to choose between my BC or my carpet based on the above 3 areas, I'd have to pick the carpet even if I favored the BC as my first love.

The carpet is a busier animal, hangs in the open more, as always doing something, moves faster and is 50-50 ground and perches.

A green tree python may not be active, but they are out in the open and perched. They would obviously beat out a burrowing snake, but not a carpet IMO.

If you were going to help a person choose a great display snake what would you pick and why? Friendly and easy to handle are not part of the equation.

Have some fun with it!

I nominate Rhino ratsnakes !

Great display snakes , active day and evening , love exploring and climbing plus great to handle .

Plus bright green with an amazing snout
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-19-2016 at 03:02 AM. Reason: efut

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-19-2016)