Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,711

0 members and 2,711 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

First Day - Arboreal Hide?

I spent a week dialing in temps/heat in my T8 to be perfect for the arrival of my first little girl today. Then, after scoping out every nook and cranny, she settled on wedging herself between the light fixture and the back wall. So much for my hard work and expensive Herpstat/UTH getting the floor of the cage all set to go!

According to my temp gun, nothing on that fixture is over 96 degrees so I'm not necessarily worried about her getting burned (should I be?). The lights are on a 12 on/12 off schedule, so she'll likely move herself down tonight when the lights turn off and take up a more traditional post in one of the two hides I've provided for her. Should I go ahead and pull her down from there anyway, or just let her do her thing and be hands-off with her like I had originally planned.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Eric
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

BeccaBurrr (04-19-2013)

Thanks
    That is pretty funny... Like kids playing with the box the expensive toy came in. She's probably alright up there, just keep watching her.

BPnet Veteran Coopers Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hey Eric,

Why are you using a light inside her tank? Ball Pythons do not require more than the usual daylight that they receive from the room (assuming there is a window or two in the room)

Anything above 91-92 degrees is completely unnecessary for a healthy ball python. Their natural environment in Africa rarely gets over that. You are definitely risking it.

She does not feel secure in that large tank, thus her wedging herself in that small space. Throw some crumpled up newspaper in there to help clutter it for a few weeks until she relaxes, and get her away from that light immediately. Show her the hide a few times until she figures it out.

Be sure your UTH is properly controlled by your herpstat. The UTH will get well over 100 degrees if it's not properly controlled. Those things have a mind of their own brother, so just be careful with it.
    Last edited by Coopers Constrictors; 04-19-2013 at 07:32 PM.
    Best Regards,

Jeremy Cooper
    Cooper's Constrictors

Website / Facebook

Thanks
    It might not be secure enough for her on the floor of the cage. Even with proper hides (which are unfamiliar) she might be scared so she went somewhere she felt safe. Let her come down on her own but maybe scrunch up some newspaper and put it along the edges to try and clutter it up some. A lot of people have BPs that climb and wedge into weird places even with perfect husbandry but it doesn't hurt to rule out the possibility that she's feeling insecure first.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

Thanks

Re: First Day - Arboreal Hide?

Quote Originally Posted by j. cooper View Post
    Hey Eric,

Why are you using a light inside her tank? Ball Pythons do not require more than the usual daylight that they receive from the room (assuming there is a window or two in the room)
    People aren't allowed to light the insides of their enclosures now?
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inarikins View Post
    People aren't allowed to light the insides of their enclosures now?
    Sure! If you wish to burn them! I don't recommend any kind of 'light' to be INSIDE the enclosure, ever.
    Best Regards,

Jeremy Cooper
    Cooper's Constrictors

Website / Facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Hey Eric,

Anything above 91-92 degrees is completely unnecessary for a healthy ball python. Their natural environment in Africa rarely gets over that. You are definitely risking it.

She does not feel secure in that large tank, thus her wedging herself in that small space. Throw some crumpled up newspaper in there to help clutter it for a few weeks until she relaxes, and get her away from that light immediately. Show her the hide a few times until she figures it out.

Be sure your UTH is properly controlled by your herpstat. The UTH will get well over 100 degrees if it's not properly controlled. Those things have a mind of their own brother, so just be careful with it.
    Since when can you not use a light? It isn't necessary, but it won't hurt. Its a fluorescent fixture, they don't get that hot.

No, he is not "definitely risking it". 96º is nothing.

Its day one. No snake feels secure on day one. She will come down eventually.

He already stated he has spent a considerable amount of time dialing in the thermostat. You don't need to tell the OP what they already know.
    Last edited by Kaorte; 04-19-2013 at 07:42 PM.
    ~Steffe

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

BHReptiles (04-19-2013),Eric Alan (04-19-2013),KMG (04-19-2013),liv (04-19-2013),OsirisRa32 (04-20-2013),STjepkes (04-19-2013),TheSnakeGuy (04-20-2013)

Thanks
    Ok... if something isn't necessary, then why would someone use it? Doesn't make sense to me... but people will do what they want.

He asked for advice, and I gave him my PROFESSIONAL advice. But what do I know... only been doing this for 20 years or so, successfully.

Do what you want people, but no person of sane mind should ever recommend putting any kind of light INSIDE an enclosure with their snake. Put it on top, outside of the tank, if you want to use a light.

As far as telling him what he already knows... I was reiterating the importance of controlling a UTH.

Moving onto threads where people appreciate good advice...

Thanks.
    Last edited by Coopers Constrictors; 04-19-2013 at 07:49 PM.
    Best Regards,

Jeremy Cooper
    Cooper's Constrictors

Website / Facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I bet someone else here has been using lights in their cages for over 20 years, successfully.

I personally like the way my lights present my cages and believe you can have more than one way to do things.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Ok... if something isn't necessary, then why would someone use it? Doesn't make sense to me... but people will do what they want.

He asked for advice, and I gave him my PROFESSIONAL advice. But what do I know... only been doing this for 20 years or so, successfully.

Do what you want people, but no person of sane mind should ever recommend putting any kind of light INSIDE an enclosure with their snake. Put it on top, outside of the tank, if you want to use a light.

As far as telling him what he already knows... I was reiterating the importance of controlling a UTH.

Moving onto threads where people appreciate good advice...

Thanks.
    Look, everyone does things different ways. Some people like to have viewing lights in their display enclosures. A fluorescent fixture will not burn your snake. Promise.

I believe that you have experience. No one questioned that.

Clearly the OP did their homework, but you still want to reiterate it? doesn't make sense to me... but people will do what they want.
    ~Steffe

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast