Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,064

2 members and 3,062 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Humidity Help!!!

So this is my first time here and I'm quite excited to say that I just became part of the Ball Python community. I've been caring for herps for the last 22 years and have had more colubrids in the past then I could ever remember. But I just got an absolutely beautiful Albino Ball at a steal ($40 for her and all supplies cause the guys wife wanted it gone!) She is gorgeous and soooo sweet (kind/gentle). She's about 9 months old, 29 inches long, and almost 2" in diameter at the widest. Question is, what IS the proper humidity level percentage supposed to be and how do I attain it in a very aesthetically pleasing way? I have read everywhere from 10-60% which is a huge variance. And I've heard different methods from providing a "humid-hide", placing the water dish partly over the heat pad or under the lamp, and even partly covering the screen top. My biggest concern is that I want it to be right without the risk of creating any respiratory concerns. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And although the well being of her comes first, I would like it to look good as well, lol. Kinda an agreement between the wife and I that allowed me to coax her into letting me "adopt" this beauty.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Humidity should be around the 40-60%RH range at 80ºF. I would not ever suggest using the exhaled breath to increase humidity, it seems like a silly notion to me. The idea of blocking ventilation to hold humidity sounds like 'sick building syndrome'. High levels of humidity and poor air flow are ideal conditions to grow bacteria and moulds. Both of which can lean to health issues. Some will say low humidity will also increase the chance of respiratory issues however I have never read any documentation that backs this up in any recognized source. Damp laundry in a dryer in a few days will smell nasty (grow bacteria) I have never noticed dry clothes to smell bad after washing.

Humidity comes from evaporation of water from the enclosure, water mass then becomes important (why misting is futile as well no mass just a short bump). The size and shape of water bowl and substrate choice will make a big impact upon RH. So does ambient temps, relative humidity is the % of the saturation point of air. The saturation point changes with temperature, as air warms it can hold more water so if the speed and amount of evaporation is constant warmer ambient air temps will decrease RH and cooler increase.

A humid hide would be added at the time of a shed. The idea is to increase the humidity inside a hide rather than the whole enclosure. It can be as simple as adding moss that is damp to a regular hie or adding a new hide altogether. They are the fast and simple solution.