Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,912

5 members and 2,907 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Humidifier recommendation?

So my last shed my little girl didn't lose her head/eye caps, and I want to increase the humidity in her enclosure.

The exoterra reptifogger isn't cutting it.

Can anybody recommend a model of humidifier that has higher capacity and actually has output tubes? Money isn't a major concern unless we're reaching the point where I could buy a car or something instead.

Open to alternate solutions, too, but I've tried most of the tricks for manually increasing humidity and I'd like an automatic solution. Didn't find anything with tubes at any local hardware stores or HomeDepot.

As always, thanks in advance for all your expertise. This n00b appreciates it!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Humidifier recommendation?

What kind of enclosure do you have? Have you tried a humid hide, rather than stressing about the whole space?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

dkspftw (04-17-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HWM4...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

This is mine. Not what you were thinking but a great option. It CANNOT be run directly into an enclosure it would cook the snake. That said it runs a room really well I have had mine running for over 18 months solid and have had no issues it gets biweekly cleanings and runs like a top. The warm mist type do not tank temps like the cool mist ones do.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

dkspftw (04-17-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Ditto on the Humid Hide.

You shouldn't need any kind of peripheral humidifier with a ball python. The humidity doesn't need to be THAT high. I have a small humidifier for the room where I keep all my snakes, mainly just to raise the ambient humidity and keep it nice and toasty in there.

I'd also like to know more about your setup. We might be able to offer some suggestions for your current setup in order to trap humidity better. Ideally you should only need to mist once or twice a day while the snake is in shed.
    ~Steffe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

dkspftw (04-17-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Humidifier recommendation?

Hey all, the setup is a standard exoterra glass terrarium, and is apparently a bit too high to be ideal for this kinda situation. It's one of the 36x18/2' ones.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ues-a-dry-room (older thread)

I've got almost the whole screen top covered and I've added a second 100w ceramic heating element next to the first cause I wasn't happy about the speed at which the temperatures went back up after a spray.

As for a humid hide, I tried setting up hides around/partially covering the water bowl but she wants nothing to do with them, and just goes to other hides in other parts of the tank.

I originally had difficulty getting the humidity up at all, and since I've added an exoterra monsoon unit that goes about once every 6 hours for 25s or so, AND this exoterra fogger hooked up to an auto-shutting off hydrometer set to turn off at 65% humidity. I don't think it's increasing the humidity in the whole tank though.

I should note that this is in my living room, which is open and connected to the rest of my apartment, so raising the humidity in the room isn't an issue.

Somebody mentioned on my earlier thread a way to hack a walgreens humidifier so it can connect to tubes for a tank.

Anyway, clearly the humidity isn't high enough as the whole top of her head and eyecaps didn't come off.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...sible-problems
    Last edited by dkspftw; 04-16-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    A humid hide is just a closed container with lightly damp substrate in it that you add during a shed period. If they need the humidity they will use it if not they will not.

I never have higher than 65%RH and rarely beyond 60% my average is 55% I do nothing special for sheds no misting no extra and have never had a poor shed. Are your hygrometers accurate?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

dkspftw (04-17-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Humidifier recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    A humid hide is just a closed container with lightly damp substrate in it that you add during a shed period. If they need the humidity they will use it if not they will not.

I never have higher than 65%RH and rarely beyond 60% my average is 55% I do nothing special for sheds no misting no extra and have never had a poor shed. Are your hygrometers accurate?
    I'm not sure. They're mostly exoterra, and I've got the little dual temp/hygro probe ones, one of the analogue hygros, and the fogger is run off a zoomed thermo/hygro unit with an auto shutoff. Only use that for humidity, have a separate unit for heat.

On the bright side of things, at some point yesterday she lost part of her head shed and at least one of the eyecaps. So hopefuly the other will come off over the next few days.

Sorry I'm such a noob about this, I'm quite good at fish and aquatic life (turtles, watersnakes, etc) keeping, just never had a ball before.

Thanks
    Humidity is a pain...
    What are you using for substrate? You might want to try switching to something like Eco Earth or cypress mulch as they are both excellent at keeping humidity.
    Damp sphagnum moss in some kind of a tupperware container works wonders, and they seem to like the consistency of it. I don't have any in my BP enclosure(yet) but I have it in my corn's and he spends the whole day in there, even when he's not shedding.

I have a pond fogger hooked up like this:

I only have it like that though because I just happened to receive the fogger at a yard sale a year ago for free because the girl thought it was part of something else I bought xD
    If I didn't already have that, I would have gone this route:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NIJ8KcXf_A

Just be aware that any type of fog or mist will drastically cool the ambient temps in your viv by 5-10 degrees.