Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,086

0 members and 2,086 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks
    My set up is as follows. I bought a critter combo setup that features a 20 gallon terrarium with a screen top. I have a 50W Basking Bulb on a ceramic light which heats things up nicely. My substrate is repti-bark and I have a nice large reptile pool in there. My problem is keeping the humidity at 50-60%
    Each morning I mist the enclosure which brings the humidity from 20-30%up to 60-70%
    The problem is the humidity drops back down again. I am thinking I can cover the top with some sort of clear label tape, something that will not attract mold. I know my problem is too much ventilation from the top which lets the humidity out. Any ideas besides changing my enclosure from a glass tank to a plastic rubbermaid tub?
    I know the importance of correct and stable humidity. Can this fluctuation in humidity cause respitory problems? I live in Arizona so heat is not an issue. One side stays about 80 in the day and stays about the same at night while the warmer side is about 90 by day and falls to 85 at night with the help of an undertank heater. I need to get the humidity problem solved and I will be golden :roll:

Thanks
    Easy fix - Switch to the serilite or rubbermaid setup. It doesn't look as nice though. This is a true function over fashion setup.

Other fix - duct tape, extra thick platic wrap. Cover the top of the whole enclosure, except for a place to set the heat lamp on the screen. With this addition, my setup would be identical to yours, and my humidity floats right around 55-60%. During shed I mist a few times daily and it raises it to about 80%. I feel like this is best of both worlds; just takes a little bit more work.
    -Brad

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Instead of just misting in the tank and getting everything wet including the hygrometer which is why it could be showing so high. Just mist the substrate and the heat will make the water evaporate and cause humidity.

Like Brad had mentioned covering the screen lid with contact paper or some duct tape will help keep the humidity in. Since hot air rises some of the water in the air will rise too right through that lid.

I also recommend getting a digital hygrometer like from Walmart or Target as these are more accurate. I like them because they keep track of Humidity and can track temps on both sides of the tank with the use of a probe.

I hope we helped.
    Thanks,
    Damien
    0.1 2001 Ball Python 1200 grams.
    1.0 1994 Ball Python 3800 Grams.

Thanks
    Yeah, gotta cover that screen up. Here's what I had to do to combat my humidity woes with my glass tank....

There is tape on both sides so there isn't a sticky side. Also, a little foliage will help if you don't already have some. A fake plant or vine will give moisture someplace to cling to and help the humidity last a little longer. There's also a humidifier in the DIY that many of us use.

Thanks
    Thanks A Lot, All the suggestions helped. I am going to do the double duct tape thing to the screen top. I will also add some foliage inside.
    I will invest in a nicer hygrometer, the digital style from WalMart as mentioned. A question for steel sack. Do you have the under tank heater and if so, have you had any problems with the space between the tank bottom and table in which the set up rests on? In other words does it get hot from not enough ventilation between the wood table and the glass bottom?

Thanks
    Naw, it's no problem. The heater came with little "feet" (2) to be stuck under the tank on each corner. It raises the rear of the tank just a bit so air can get in there. I have it hooked up to a dimmer switch and inside the tank directly over the heater I have a probe that is connected to a digital thermometer so I always know exactly what the glass temp is.
    The little feet I am talking about are simple spacers........you could use anything, tho. A couple checker pieces, bottle tops, name it. Just raise up the rear end of the tank or put a foot under each corner and raise the whole thing up 1/8 or 1/4" and you should be stylin'. As long as heat can escape and air can flow, things should be fine.

Thanks
    A tape question:
    If you use tape inside the tank, might not the humidity make it loosen up? I'm really scared of using tape inside the enclosures, since my corn snake once got stuck to duct tape. Getting it off him wasn't pleasant for either me nor him.

Thanks
    Using inside should be okay - at least I use contact paper on inside and out and it has yet to give me any trouble.. not totally sure though as I have not personally used duct tape
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

Thanks
    I defintely would recommend covering/coating the inside if you are using a screen lid in an effort to prevent the inevitable noserubs which will otherwise occur at some point.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks
    I covered the outside and inside of the screen top, leaving an open spot for the light. (I cut this out with scissors) The humidity is staying at 50-60% now. I taped around the outside and the inside so the inside tape cannot peel off, HOWEVER, the section on the inside that had the opening for the ceramic light did peel off and hang down. I will have to find a way to secure this. The other sections cannot peel off as the tape goes around in one large section through the bottom and over the top.