Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 466

0 members and 466 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Also, yes, this should be a sticky
    ~Steffe

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts
    Great Video.. I for sure will use it for Probing my hatchling ... ad Sticked definitely

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aes_Sidhe For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    a good vid would be how to make an incubator because i will need one this year.

Thanks

Re: How to Probe your snake! Video!

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonpython View Post
    a good vid would be how to make an incubator because i will need one this year.
    If I didn't have eggs in the incubator I would totally give you guys a video of my bator. I just don't want to leave it open unnecessarily. Maybe if I make another one or when my eggs all hatch
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    You know, I haven't probed any of my other species! I'm a little nervous to do so on my smaller GTPs and ATBs, and have absolutely no need to sex my 6' boa. I should try on my blood python though. I'm sure its the same if not very similar.
    For the record, if we meet up at Tinley again this year, I'll let you do it on my Angolans. I'll bring the 1.1 pair. You obviously know what you're doing so I'd trust you to do it on them.

Great video! It is very professional!

If you are inclinded to do more, I'd love to see any DIY projects or something on how to assist-feed. Although I don't know just how good an idea that might be. Don't want flocks of inexperienced people trying to assist-feed a ball that hasn't eaten for only 3 weeks or something..... But in some ways, it might be good.

But I'm bookmarking this vid for future reference! Thanks for doing it!
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanks so much! I have nobody in my town that can show me sinse I have moved to Northern Ontario and I decided to give breeding a shot next winter so this is extremely valuable. It makes me feel more confident now. Thanks again.

Jim
    Jim

2.2 Ball Pythons
    Female Pastel (Gella), Female Butter (Khaleesi), Male Spider (Igor), Male Pastel Butter (Tig)

Reptiles
    1.0 Bearded Dragon (RIP Freddie)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to whispersinmyhead For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (04-12-2013)

Thanks

woo!!! thanks for making the video im just about to pick up a set of probs at the expo in a few weeks and this was super helpfull

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sea-bp'sss For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (04-12-2013)

BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts
    First of all- I really like your video presentation. I am not expert on popping more than a few small bp’s, nor very good at probing, so I tend to rely on more experienced people locally.

I will slightly play devil's advocate on probing though. There are bp's out there that will trick you without a doubt with probing only. I have a 2600g Normal that had a very experienced person at probing AND the herpetologist from Gator Land here in FL fooled by probing alone. You will see the video below and come to an immediate conclusion…. And probably be wrong.

The animal was then taken to Orlando to see a herpetologist from Gator Land where I had an appointment for another bp and brought this questionable snake with me. He also probed the snake and came to the same conclusion as most of you probably have by now based on the original probing….. a male.

I please asked him to ultrasound the bp because I thought that I had felt some follicles. Well… he was now very interested. We proceeded to the ultrasound machine to see 12 follicles that measured 25mm each. Needless to say, he was surprised and I was very pleased. She immediately began getting introduced to some males and became gravid. In the absence of actually seeing hemi-penes or ultrasounding follicles you can probably only be somewhat certain of sexing. Granted this was a 2600g Normal, but it probed a full 8 scales and was a female.

She is now 35 days POS and due any day.

Thanks
    I am very new to all this. I have been watching tons of videos. I really hope that your snake is the exception. It just seems odd that a female would probe so deep without hemipenes. I figured probing would be the most accurate between the two methods. I am still getting a probe kit soon and hopefully I can learn popping to. If I could pop I would pop all hatchlings and then double check suspected females by probing. Hope I don't have a weird exception of a snake.
    Jim

2.2 Ball Pythons
    Female Pastel (Gella), Female Butter (Khaleesi), Male Spider (Igor), Male Pastel Butter (Tig)

Reptiles
    1.0 Bearded Dragon (RIP Freddie)

Thanks

When a snake is that big, it is entirely possibly that a female will probe more than 5 scales or so. The trick is knowing what to feel for. You would probably lay assume that a male of that size would probe very very deep. Much more than 8 scales.

I know people say you can't tell just by looking, but I think in the case of adults, you can kinda tell. A female will be nice and fat and round (usually) and males tend to be a bit thinner.

I still believe probing is accurate. There are other methods but this is just what works for me!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    ~Steffe

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast