Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,106

1 members and 3,105 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ultrasonic humidifier/humidity question

Hey guys! I just noticed my bp is showing the first signs of shed (pink belly). This will be my first time experiencing a shed cycle.

I picked him up earlier and noticed he was extra shy before noticing the pink belly. Recently I added 2 rock hides and haven't seen him come out and explore like he used to. I just thought it was cause he feels safe in there, but maybe it's also cause he's starting his shed.

Right now I have a humidifier hooked up and it just comes down in the middle of the tank and spreads out from there, but the humidity inside the rock hides is pretty hard to keep up. I could put moss in there, but that'll require a lot of spraying down.

Here's what things look like now:

My question is I'm thinking of using a t-joint and splitting the hose from the middle and drilling holes in the top of the rock hide and sticking the hose into it.
    Doing so should keep the humidity high since it's inside the dome. I'd probably line the perimeter with moss too.

Do you guys see any problems with this idea? I'd have better control over humidity this way, but my main concern is with having the mist that close to my snake.
    1.0 Pastel Butter (pics)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    We addressed the moss in your other thread.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...avior-question

I wouldn't drill any holes in the hide. Your making this seem to be more difficult than it is. Your fogger itself should be enough for the shed cycle.

I have perfect sheds in a glass tank using moss in the hides and misting every other day during shed. The moss stays damp for a few days at a time.

Cypress mulch holds moisture much better, you may think about switching. I use Forest Floor. It is damp in the bag and very well shredded.

What is the humidity level in the hide?
    Last edited by KMG; 04-03-2013 at 08:25 AM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Greekinese (04-03-2013)

Thanks

Re: Ultrasonic humidifier/humidity question

Humidity inside the hide is 37% right now. Turning on the fogger will get the humidity up, but it drops pretty fast.
    I have the hydrotherm humidity/temp controller coming, so that should help (just let it turn on automatically).

Guess I should put the moss inside the hides to help out. Laying down a bed of it will probably interfere with him getting his heat, so I'll just line the perimeter of the inside of the hide.

I'm just wondering if adding the moss will be enough. I suppose having the humidity control automatically turn on the fogger will be enough since I can put the sensor inside the hide.

Since he's mostly in his hide anyways, I thought it would probably just be easier to pump it in directly into the hide.
    It would boost the humidity pretty quickly doing it like that vs. doing the whole tank.
    1.0 Pastel Butter (pics)

Thanks
    I just put a clump in the hide. Sometimes they go under it sometimes on top. Either way it is fine. It will warm up from the uth if your snake lays on top.

I use cypress mulch and moss in the hides for perfect sheds while the tank humidity is 35-40. I promise the moss will help.

Stop worrying so much. Hardly anybody uses a fogger with balls and they still have good sheds. You are providing a very nice cage. The fogger plus moss will give you good sheds.

My only suggestion would be to switch substrates.
    KMG

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Greekinese (04-03-2013)

Thanks

Thanks hehe. Underneath the aspen is a layer of eco earth...pretty much soil. I have a bag of repti bark I haven't opened too.
    The temp inside the hide is 89 degrees right now, it'll probably warm up 2-3 degrees as the moss dries a little.

I added moss to both hides and the humidity is reading 65-70% now. Hopefully the moss stabilizes things so it's not so spiky.
    Appreciate the advice & you're right...I probably worry too much. 6am now, but I can sleep knowing he's got good moisture now.

The real test will be checking on things in the morning, if it's in the 50% range or higher, then we're good.
    I just didn't like seeing humidity in the 30's & 40's.

ps - do you guys ever mist the snake directly?
    1.0 Pastel Butter (pics)

Thanks
    Yes, I will mist them. My gtp gets misted alot since they will drink off their bodies.
    KMG

Thanks

Humidity is holding steady around 65%...adding moss was easier than another Home Depot project lol, thanks again!
    1.0 Pastel Butter (pics)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greekinese View Post
    Humidity is holding steady around 65%...adding moss was easier than another Home Depot project lol, thanks again!
    And looks better.

Is this where i get to say "told you so." Lol.

I'm glad I could help.
    KMG

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Greekinese (04-03-2013)

Thanks

I guess just wetting down the moss is going to keep things right longer than the fogger can.
    So the humidity sensor to control the fogger isn't going to be much of a necessity.

Guess I just have to get a BRB and put it to use then!
    1.0 Pastel Butter (pics)

Thanks

i never heared if these ultrasonic foggers are safe for animals or not. They might be, im just unsure. I know an ultrasonic cleaning bath can hurt you.

i would make sure the snake cannot get too close to the fogger. i mean, it sends out shockwaves powerful enough to cause cavitation in the water and to rip apart the water into tiny droplets. it wont have an effect at a distance, so it should be safe if you add the protection that you would also use for a lightbult that can get hot. but maybe its safe, it depends on how much weaker the shockwaves are, compared to an ultrasonic cleaning bath.

but then, if you can put your finger into the water right in the area where the fog is coming from, and it doesnt turn red and swollen afterwards, i guess its safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast