Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,696

0 members and 1,696 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Is it ok to use a reptile UTH on a rubbermaid container?? A post started about sumthin like this but it trailed off into information about NERD & stuff. So, seeing as how I will be upgrading Hissy's house sooner than later, I would like to know if a reptile UTH is alright to use.
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

Thanks

So...

As long as you use it with a thermostat or rheostat, you should be fine. Otherwise, not a good idea.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yeah, I have a rheostat hooked up to the UTH under my current tank. I know that I cannot peel & re-use the one that I have now but i can get them for pretty cheap at the local petstore around here.
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I would rather use a human heating pad with a rubbermaid or sterilite.
    Thanks,
    Damien
    0.1 2001 Ball Python 1200 grams.
    1.0 1994 Ball Python 3800 Grams.

Thanks
    Personally I'd recommend the Ultratherm heat pads from the Bean Farm. They're inexpensive, easy to control with a rheostat or thermostat, and best of all, non-adhesive, so they can be used on different enclosures as your snake upsizes.

You can find them here: https://secure.ioncart.net/beanfarm/...asp?Search=Yes

I have personally used a variety of sizes of these heating pads on all sorts of different rubbermaids/sterilites in the past & wholeheartedly recommend them. As with ANY heating element, make sure you control it with some sort of rheostat or thermostat for the safety of your animal(s).

K
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    What is the difference between a thermostat and a rheostat?
    ~Caren~
    "Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." Confucius
    1.0 Other Half - Mark, 0.1 Child - Samantha
    1.0.2 BP:Smitty,Sophie,Unamed One, 1.1 Cali King:Serpico,Simone
    1.2 Canines, 0.2 Felines
    1.1 RES Turtles - Thomas & Thomasina

Thanks
    My understanding is that thermostats actually read the temperature and adjust the heating device according to the actual temperature in the enclosure. With a rheostat, you have to get the enclosure to the temperature you want it and set the rheostat according to your temperature readings. Basically, it works like a fish tank heater.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

New Baby Red Tail BOA

which is better?
    ~Caren~
    "Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." Confucius
    1.0 Other Half - Mark, 0.1 Child - Samantha
    1.0.2 BP:Smitty,Sophie,Unamed One, 1.1 Cali King:Serpico,Simone
    1.2 Canines, 0.2 Felines
    1.1 RES Turtles - Thomas & Thomasina

Thanks
    I would think thermostats are. They actually work like the one in your house that reads the temperature and adjusts accordingly.

Thanks
    yeah I have one of each and love my Thermostat.

A Rheostat acts as a dimmer switch - you control the amount of electricity actually flowing to the heating device. Thus if outside temps drop (lets say the A/C kicks on high for some reason) the device will continue to operate at the electric level that you set with your rheostat so unless you manually turn up the rheostat cage gets cold.

A Thermostat comes with a plug and a probe from the same unit. I personally put my thermostat probe next to my hot side probe in the hot hide so that I could monitor temps exactly where my buddy hangs out. The thermostat probe actually measures temperature and on the thermostat unit you set what temperature you want maintained around that probe. Thing is with a thermostat lights and heat pads or whatever click on and off repeatedly - to maintain heat round that probe, just like your heater or A/C unit kicks on to maintain the temp in your house. So bulbs don't last as long because they are constantly being turned on and off.

So to re-cap a rheostat is like a dimmer switch, you set how much power the heating device recieves to operate on and the rheostat maintains that flow.

a Thermostat is like the one in your house- maintains a specific temp around the probe.

I got my thermostat here (BAH-1000)
    http://www.bigappleherp.com

If you have time to manually monitor temps and such a rheostat is great for you - as my schedule is scattered and I am sometimes away for weekends playing gigs on short notice, I use a thermostat.
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast