Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,438

1 members and 2,437 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Striking at light?

Didn't think I'd be posting on here again so soon, but I've got another concern.

Was handling my ball today before bed, (about 1am, so I'm fairly certain he was awake) and he started to get a little antsy, so I went to put him back in his tank and he immediately struck at his heat lamp. I got spooked by the sudden movement and dropped him, only 2 or 3 inches onto some soft bedding. It didn't seem to phase him, and he went into his hide.

He's only about a month old, and was fed on Friday. I feed him thawed rat pups. He also shed last Monday, so his vision isn't impaired. He's in a 10 gallon, with zoo-med forest flooring, two hides (on different sides), appropriately sized water dish, and a temperature of 85-90 degrees. I maintain his humidity with a spray bottle and a damp towel. He's also in a very low traffic part of the house.

He's usually very docile and "snoozy", so I'm wondering if I should be feeding him more, if something's wrong with his home, or if that was his way of saying "Put me down, jackass."

Thanks for any help.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    If your feeding 10-15% of its body weight you should be good there.

It sounds like it was a defensive strike. You have to remember they can sense heat very well and it just spoked it. My young bloods will do this often. My gtp will strike at shadows.

You need to control your startle response so you don't end up injuring your buddy. I have been tagged by my bloods and green tree. It doesn't hurt and will do far less damage to you and them than dropping them. I'm sure that short drop didn't hurt him but it is not a habit you want to start.

Just realize that handling and keeping snakes will almost certainly lead to you getting tagged eventually.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: Striking at light?

Definitely. I have a very fiesty 22 year old cat, and she's really hardened me to the consequences of owning something with fangs. Im not worried about the initial pain or shock, it's just something about a striking animal that makes you jump. If anything, I worry more about dropping and hurting my ball then getting a little blood drawn. I will check on him in the morning and make sure he's doing okay, but I assume he just wants space right now.

Thanks

I'm with you Zaenya, I'm a new bp owner and it's probably funny to experienced owners/breeders to see us so jumpy, but I can't help it either.

I guess it's not just the snake that needs to get comfortable with being held, we also need to get comfortable holding them too.
    All in due time I guess hehe, maybe getting tagged will be good for us and we'll laugh about it after!
    1.0 Pastel Butter (pics)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zaenya View Post
    Definitely. I have a very fiesty 22 year old cat, and she's really hardened me to the consequences of owning something with fangs. Im not worried about the initial pain or shock, it's just something about a striking animal that makes you jump. If anything, I worry more about dropping and hurting my ball then getting a little blood drawn. I will check on him in the morning and make sure he's doing okay, but I assume he just wants space right now.
    Ball pythons don't have fangs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    My girl has struck at her heat emitter before too. I think it happens when you move them into their tank. I've started to just hold her up to the door and let her crawl through on her own and I haven't had that happen again since. I think the sudden heat signature spooks them. Even more so when they're already nervous or feisty since it's right over their head. Just my opinion, I could be wrong, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annarose15 View Post
    Ball pythons don't have fangs.
    Cats do though, rather large one's at that. I was more so refering to the pain of a purposeful cat bite than a ball python bite. Since I havent been bit yet, I have nothing to compare it to.
    Last edited by Zaenya; 04-01-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Striking at light?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaenya View Post
    Cats do though, rather large one's at that. I was more so refering to the pain of a purposeful cat bite than a ball python bite. Since I havent been bit yet, I have nothing to compare it to.
    The best description of a baby BP bite that I have heard likens it to being attacked by angry Velcro. :-P
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    A baby BP bite is nothing to be scared of. Being bitten by a feline is much worse. I have also been bitten by an angry cockatiel. It was capable of drawing blood through leather gloves. Not an experience everyone should strive for.

Enjoy your new pet!