Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,553

2 members and 3,551 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Question for all the "exotic" keepers on here....

Please understand I am in no way making judgements one way or another....

But I am reading a lot of threads on here with people railing against rules, laws, and regulations of any sort.

I guess my question is ultimately this...is there any one on this site that does actually believe and support regulations of some sort?

While what much of what is being discussed and what people are trying to pass is completely ridiculous...

I for one don't want people who are obviously incapable (in any way shape or form) keeping 35 large predatory cats and a bunch of grizzly bears (just for an extreme example). Don't we (not as reptile keepers) but simple humans have some sort of responsibility to regulate people when they themselves refuse to do so and their lack of judgement or ability gets peopled killed?

Constructive, thoughtful comments are appreciated...I am just thinking out loud here so to speak. Ditch the negativity and attacks at the door please
    1.1 Pinstripe - Orion/Eos
    1.1 Lessers - Typhon/Kali
    0.2 Dinkers - Stella & Wildfire
    1.0 Desert - No Name
    1.0 Het Red Axanthic - No name
    0.1 Woma- Cayenne
    0.1 Cinnamon- Nutmeg
    2.1 Mojave- No names
    1.0 Mystic- No Name
    0.1 Mahagony- No Name
    1.0 Black Pastel- No Name
    1.0 SD Tiger Retic- Thor
    0.0.1 Green Tree Python (Apollo)
    0.2 Labs- Daisy & Ruby

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OsirisRa32 For This Useful Post:

Jason Bowden (03-19-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts
    My take: How many "exotic" pets kill people other than their owners? Especially compared to accidental deaths by dogs and horses? No government body, group of people, or individual person has the right to dictate to me how I choose to run and/or risk my life, unless they can show PROOF that my choices create a strong threat of bodily harm to another human being that does not have the capacity to avoid that risk (e.g. letting hots roam loose in a room where my children play - extreme example). Blanket laws do not address the real problem, which is typically a lack of education and information for all parties involved.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Brian Fobian (03-20-2013),Christine (03-20-2013),Jason Bowden (03-19-2013),JKPCONSTRICTORS (03-21-2013),Karin (03-27-2013),luvmyballs (03-19-2013),Mft62485 (03-19-2013),PiercingPrincess (03-21-2013),SSALB (03-19-2013),Wes (03-19-2013),zeion97 (03-25-2013)

Thanks

Re: Question for all the "exotic" keepers on here....

I think permits, formal training for dealing with, and enclosure requirements would be a good idea for keeping hots and giants.

I'll probably get bashed now! LOL

Also, who is to say what size is the minimum for a giant. Is a 5 foot corn snake a giant? I bet some people would see a 5 foot anything and think it was a pretty big snake.

Never looked into it, but I think there are states with regs on hots, etc...

I'm interested to see what others think.

GOOD THREAD!!!
    Last edited by Emilio; 03-20-2013 at 06:10 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason Bowden For This Useful Post:

darkbloodwyvern (03-21-2013),ewaldrep (03-19-2013),MrLang (03-20-2013),TheSnakeGuy (03-19-2013)

Thanks
    I do believe that some animals have no business being 'pets' for various reasons. I also don't believe in big blanket bans of exotic pets unless there's a really good reason for it. Before getting back into reptiles I had a background in rescues, so I definitely hate seeing idiots causing abuse and neglect to animals.

I think that pet ownership in general should be a privilege and not a right...I wish parenthood was the same way, TBH People do all sorts of terrible things to non-exotic pets and those non-exotic pets can be just as 'dangerous' to the environment and other people as people think 'big bad' everglades burms are.

I'm not really sure what point I'm trying to make, just thinking out loud I love animals of all sorts and wish there were more repercussions for people who abuse the privilege of owning pets.
    1.0 Het Albino Ball Python (Oberon)
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python (Whiskeyjack)
    0.1 Albino Ball Python (Titania)
    1.0 Orange Albino Hognose (Randy)
    1.0 Het Albino Hognose (Sandy)
    0.1 Mex Mex Kingsnake (Ember)
    1.0 Thayeri Kingsnake (Mello Yello)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xaila For This Useful Post:

darkbloodwyvern (03-21-2013),Jason Bowden (03-20-2013)

Thanks

I think the government has enough to do without sticking its nose into everybody's business. I am sick of government trying to save us from ourself. It's kinda like warning labels on meat and poultry. Really? Shouldn't that be intuitive? And if a person in stupid enough to bring home a gaboon viper and does not know what they are doing so be it.. it thin's out the gene pool.
    0.1 butter
    1.1 pastel
    1.0 mojave
    0.1 bumblebee
    1.0 normal
    1.0 uromastyx mali
    2.1 anole
    0.0.1 peachfront conure
    0.10 chickens
    1.0 dog
    3.4 cats
    2.4 asf

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luvmyballs For This Useful Post:

JKPCONSTRICTORS (03-21-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OsirisRa32 View Post
    Please understand I am in no way making judgements one way or another....

But I am reading a lot of threads on here with people railing against rules, laws, and regulations of any sort.

I guess my question is ultimately this...is there any one on this site that does actually believe and support regulations of some sort?

While what much of what is being discussed and what people are trying to pass is completely ridiculous...

I for one don't want people who are obviously incapable (in any way shape or form) keeping 35 large predatory cats and a bunch of grizzly bears (just for an extreme example). Don't we (not as reptile keepers) but simple humans have some sort of responsibility to regulate people when they themselves refuse to do so and their lack of judgement or ability gets peopled killed?

Constructive, thoughtful comments are appreciated...I am just thinking out loud here so to speak. Ditch the negativity and attacks at the door please
    I would support regulations............. if you could show examples of any government doing anything at all efficiently and with fair balance. Is your example not an illustration of utter failure of already existing regulations. i.e. Mental health and protective custody laws.
    The SPCA is no better, instead I prefer to support independent community no-kill shelters.
    Then there are groups like PETA, responsible for more animal suffering and death than you'd ever believe. Those grade-A scumbags would stomp on a kittens head and make a video of it if they thought it would get them more donations.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raven01 For This Useful Post:

Jason Bowden (03-20-2013),minguss (03-23-2013),nachash (03-25-2013)

Thanks

Forget regulations, I've always wanted a mountain lion as a pet. I understand that it could kill me but you know what, that's my own choice. I know the consequences and am willing to deal with them. I don't need someone else trying to tell me I can't have something I've always wanted. Besides, it's not like they're exotic anyway, just big. Lol.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad91 For This Useful Post:

TheSnakeGuy (03-19-2013),threezero (03-21-2013)

Thanks

- - - - - - - - I am not for regulations. I am for responsible animal keeping - - - - - - - -

- Exotic is in the eye of the beholder. Some think I'm crazy because I have 3 small non-venomous snakes. I think people who have 5 dogs are crazy. Is a fluffy Russian Pomeranian not an exotic animal? A Pit bull dog is a "hybrid" of 4 or 5 different breeds. Exotic?
    -I don't need any government trying to protect me from myself. Darwinism will take care of the careless. The responsible keepers don't need anyone telling them how many or what kind of pets they can own/collect as long as they are doing things right and not infringing on the rights of or endangering others.
    Last edited by TheSnakeGuy; 03-19-2013 at 10:26 PM.
    TheSnakeGuy

- Python Regius -
    1.0 Spider Mojave - "Tweak"
    0.1 Mystic Pastel - "Oracle"

Wish List . . . .someday
    Lavender Albino Pied(Dreamsicle) Ball Python
    2. Albino Burmese Python
    3. Mystic Potion Ball Python(Breeders)

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheSnakeGuy For This Useful Post:

Karin (03-27-2013),OctagonGecko729 (03-20-2013),Raven01 (03-19-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Let's stir the pot here a bit:

First and foremost (in principle):

I favor regulations because they protect animals from many of the idiots who own them and have no idea how to care for them or who view them as disposable.

I favor regulations that favor dedicated keepers.

I favor regulations that are not trojan horses for animal right's groups to in turn impose their regulations and values on me.

I favor regulations that protect my ability to keep exotics - specifically by limiting the ability of others (who may do this hobby harm) to keep them.

Here's the rub: the problem is that those regulations must come from within the hobby - not from grandstanding, knee-jerking, glad handing politicians. Those regulations must be imposed by dedicated keepers in order to protect a specialty subsect of exotics from not-so-dedicated keepers. Those regulations must not be wielded as weapons by animal "welfare" groups via future amendments.

The problem is that such a set of regulations cannot exist in this society, with this government and with a law enacting system that allows for good bills to be gradually amended, twisted and turned bad.

Therefore, because a perfect set of regulations cannot be sustained in our society, I am forced to oppose regulations - even if it means that animals will suffer, that welfare groups will be given a steady stream of propaganda and even if it means that someday, my rights may disappear via a draconian set of regulations imposed on me.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 03-19-2013 at 11:06 PM.

18. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Andybill (03-20-2013),angllady2 (03-20-2013),Annarose15 (03-20-2013),birdiebot (05-06-2013),Christine (03-20-2013),Coleslaw007 (03-22-2013),darkbloodwyvern (03-21-2013),foxoftherose (05-04-2013),Jason Bowden (03-20-2013),Missvan (03-20-2013),MrLang (03-20-2013),OsirisRa32 (03-20-2013),Raven01 (03-19-2013),RoseyReps (03-20-2013),satomi325 (03-19-2013),sorraia (03-20-2013),TheSnakeGuy (03-20-2013),threezero (03-21-2013),Wes (03-19-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Honestly, I think it depends.
    It depends on the animals and on the regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnakeGuy View Post
    - - - - - - - - I am not for regulations. I am for responsible animal keeping - - - - - - - -

- Exotic is in the eye of the beholder. Some think I'm crazy because I have 3 small non-venomous snakes. I think people who have 5 dogs are crazy. Is a fluffy Russian Pomeranian not an exotic animal? A Pit bull dog is a "hybrid" of 4 or 5 different breeds. Exotic?
    -I don't need any government trying to protect me from myself. Darwinism will take care of the careless. The responsible keepers don't need anyone telling them how many or what kind of pets they can own/collect as long as they are doing things right and not infringing on the rights of or endangering others.
    An exotic animal from a veterinary stand point is anything that is not a companion animal(dog/cat) or a large animal (horses/livestock, etc).

There are exotic dog breeds, but they are not considered exotic animals. They are still dogs.

Anything found in a Petco is 'exotic'. Rats, fish, birds, guinea pigs, ferrets, mice, and reptiles included etc etc are all exotic. Critters found in zoos can are termed exotic.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast