Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,207

1 members and 3,206 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Will loud music freak out BPs?

I've got my BP enclosure set up in my living room, and my main music/TV speakers are approximately 2' away on either side of the enclosure.

I've kept fish in the same spot before, and they would sometimes get a little skittish around heavy bass but they seemed to get used to it pretty quickly and then ignore it. And my cats and turtle sometimes react when music first starts or gets louder, but they almost instantly ignore it after.

Will a ball be the same? Or is it likely to stress the snake out to the point where it could be an issue and it's unlikely it'll adjust?

I was almost thinking about intentionally leaving music playing at a moderate volume when I leave during the day so that it gets used to it.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Thanks
    I know BP's feel vibrations to hear and don't actually hear sound as we do, but I have my vivarium next to my computer/music production set-up and it doesn't seem to phase him in the slightest. He's still happily curled up into a ball or doing whatever he's doing and the music doesn't seem to disrupt him in any way. I'm sure he can feel the vibrations but he must have figued out by now that it's nothing bad/a predator etc.

With the way these snakes hear I imagine that your footsteps walking around the room are probably in effect louder to the snake than the loud music.
    Last edited by Slushy; 03-19-2013 at 12:56 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slushy For This Useful Post:

dkspftw (03-19-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Will loud music freak out BPs?

Quote Originally Posted by Slushy View Post
    I know BP's feel vibrations to hear and don't actually hear sound as we do, but I have my vivarium next to my computer/music production set-up and it doesn't seem to phase him in the slightest. He's still happily curled up into a ball or doing whatever he's doing and the music doesn't seem to disrupt him in any way. I'm sure he can feel the vibrations but he must have figued out by now that it's nothing bad/a predator etc.

With the way these snakes hear I imagine that your footsteps walking around the room are probably in effect louder to the snake than the loud music.
    Thanks! Yeah, I figured as much more or less. I'm already hoping to convert them from live to frozen food, so maybe I'll try keeping the music low till she first eats.

Thanks
    I have a bad habit of leaving my tv on all night after I fall asleep and the light and sound from that doesn't seem to phase her..

Aometimes I look over and I actually think she's watching with me