Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,627

0 members and 2,627 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Wink some questions before becoming an owner

Hey guys, I have been doing a *lot* of research on having a ball python as a pet before deciding to get one, but I had some questions before making the leap. While I would love to have a new pet, I realize that this is a long-term commitment of taking care of one, so I'm trying to take it slow and not get swept up in the novelty of a new idea. I'm staying objective so that, if it's not a good idea, I don't go with it. However, everything I've read so far indicates that I'd really like having one. That, and they are just so cute.

So, a couple of things I haven't seen yet while bouncing around the forums.

Is it okay to buy a ball python at a pet store? I haven't seen a lot of strong opinions on other side of the argument, or it just doesn't come up at all. Personally, I'd prefer to buy one somewhere I can see them and handle them before buying, since I like to know what I'm getting myself into. That basically means a local pet store (either Pet Smart or a local shop if they have them).

Now I have read that those who are bred in captivity tend to do better in general, but what does that mean? Can the other ones be tamed just as well, but it takes longer or what? Also, what kind do they sell at major pet store chains anyway? Should I call the manager and ask where they get theirs from?

What size of tank is good? I've looked at the options, and I don't want a tub for my first one, so, yah, I'm sticking to getting a tank. I've read lots of differing opinions again that generally agree that smaller is better. The thing is, I don't quite understand *why* that is the case. And for that matter, what's the largest that you guys would recommend? I'm not going for a bigger is better approach but if it comes down to a 5 gallon versus a 10 gallon, I'd like to know what's best, or if in that size range it really matters.

The other question related to that is, would you go with a plastic enclosure or a glass tank? I've read pros and cons on both sides, where one is easier to heat or the other is easier to clean, but nothing really solid in either area.

What do ball pythons do all the time? I realize they're nocturnal so they only come "out" at night, but what do they even do then? Do they come out of their hides? What is "normal" behavior? (strangely enough, this is one topic I've never seen mentioned

What items is it absolutely imperative to not get poor quality on? I'm not cheap by any means, and I always err on the side of quality, but if there's something really vital to watch out for, what would those be? Everything I've read seems to indicate that the most important thing you can do is give them good hides and keep the temperature and humidity at the proper levels. So I'm guessing that means getting good warmers and temperature gauges and so on.

What are some small things you can do to make your ball python really comfortable and happy? Just curious if there's any small little tips of things to do or avoid. I figure a happy python makes a happy owner.

While I'm on the subject, how do you know if your ball python is happy and content?

One thing I was thinking of doing, wondering if this would help, is to cover three sides of the enclosure with a background so that they only have one area that they can see out of (and people can see in). Seems to me like that may make them feel more secure, but that's just me coming up with ideas ... dunno if that's valid or not.

Is it okay to "play" with your snake, and if so, how much? By "play", I basically mean, let out of his tank and just either crawl around me or wherever just to give him some free space. This is one area I have seen the most conflicting advice, across the board. Some people say to not handle them for more than a few minutes a few times a week, and some people say handling them every day is fine and it helps them get used to having humans around, too. Based on the polar opinions, I kinda get the idea that a regular level of handling is fine.

Do you do anything to let the python know that you're going to pick them up, take them out, or feed them? One video I found on youtube, the owner would gently stroke his snake a few times on the side so that she knew she was going to get picked up. Basically he said that he did that so that she knew that he was there. Seemed like a smart idea to me. Also, I remember reading somewhere someone else mentioning that they would tap on the glass a few times to let them know that they are going to open the cage or take them out -- basically that they are going to be interacted with soon. I realize that they are by nature really shy, so these to me seemed like good ideas, but I have no idea if they are actually effective or not.

I hate to ask this question, but do people ever get buyer's regret, similar to buying a new car and then getting tired of it a few days later? Again, like I said, I'm doing lots of research and taking things slow so I don't get swept up in the excitement and make a purely emotional decision. But I do have to consider that I might freak out after a few days realizing what I got myself into (though I doubt it at this point because I'm doing a lot to prevent that). I'm just curious to ask, what would people in that situation do? Do they return the pet to the store, or what?

Sorry this is so long. I have seriously done so much research that I come home and I honestly expect there to be a ball python at my house because I've prepped myself mentally so much. It's crazy. The best part though is that I already have a cool name picked out, so I have to get one now, right!?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer. These forums have been really helpful. I probably forgot some question to add, so I'll followup later if I think of anything.

Thanks
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...9ZObskHczlPW_A

this link aslo has links to others stuff.

I just 'researched'
    Balls
    1.0 Bumblebee Het Ghost
    1.0 Power ball
    0.1 Fire Ghost
    0.1 Butter Pin
    Milks
    1.0 Eastern milk snake
    0.1 Extreme Hypo Honduran
    Hognose
    0.1 Western hognose Albino
    Leopard Gecko
    1.0 Sunglow

Beware his song about big butts. He beats you up while he ppppllllaaaaysss iiiit-- Eyugh!

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    The vast majority of these question can be answered through searches on here.

I suggest getting you ball from a reputable breeder, even if you have to have her shipped.

I also recommend a PVC cage set up over a glass fish tank. Look at the Animal Plastics T8 with belly heat.

I recommend a thermostat from Spyder Robotics. The Herpstat One or Basic will suit you just fine. Also get a temp gun to dial in your hot spot.

There are many threads about thermometers, and I recommend the one from Wal-Mart (I forget the name and model off hand)

I also recommend at least 2 hides, I personally use the ones from Reptile Basics.

You can make your set-up super fancy with foliage and whatnot, but your BP does not care about any of that. I advocate for a simple zen set up that is EASY TO CLEAN. 2 hides, a water bowl and a heat gradient. Done and Done.

Substrate is up to you, some like paper some like aspen and so on.

As for what they do, the answer is not much. A BP is not a display animal. They will spend 95% of their time in the hide. They will come out to cruise a little at night. You can handle them within reason, so not for hours a day. You will learn over time what your ball will tolerate through how they feed and behave.

As for picking them up just be deliberate and let them see you coming. I DO NOT advocate feeding outside the enclosure. They can smell the difference between you and food.

As for regret, yes absolutely. MANY folks buy a BP and a set up just to turn around and get rid of it. Doing a lot of research is the first step in showing you are serious about taking on the commitment.

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

some questions before becoming an owner

1. Where are you located? You can go to a reptile expo and see the snake before you purchase it.

Most pet store animals are not looked after properly and can be sick/non-feeding/wild caught.

2. I will absolutely never use a tank again. If you don't like the tub setup, I'd suggest buying a t8 from
    http://www.animalplastics.com

If you're getting a baby, buy the divider so you can section off the cage. Ball pythons do not like large enclosures. A t8 is perfect for an adult and will last them for life.

I have a xpvc cage (not by ap as I live in Canada) and it is absolutely amazing. With reptibark substrate, my humidity stays at 50% without misting.

I was never able to keep temps/humidity properly in a tank set up. Also, If I turned on my fan in my room, it would affect the temperatures. My room temperature was also low so I'd have to use a lamp, which also helped dry the humidity in the tank.

Here's a picture:

3. Balls usually do hide during the day. I notice mine will come out when I'm walking around the room, or messing by their cage.

4. A thermoSTAT is something you should spend money on. It regulates your heat mat/flexwat and keeps it at an appropriate temperature for your snake.

I strongly recommend the herpstat:
    http://www.spyderrobotics.com

5. I don't know if my bps are "happy". I'd like to assume so. Their needs are met, and they feed weekly for me. As long as their husbandry is fine, they should be fine.

One thing I was thinking of doing, wondering if this would help, is to cover three sides of the enclosure with a background so that they only have one area that they can see out of (and people can see in). Seems to me like that may make them feel more secure, but that's just me coming up with ideas ... dunno if that's valid or not.

6. If you go with a tank setup, this is something most people suggest.

7. When you first get your snake, leave it alone for at least a week and/or until it has it's first meal. After that, I would judge how much you can handle by how your python acts. Most of ours seem to "enjoy" being out. I try to handle at least once every two days.

8. I will avoid their face directly when I go in to pick them up. I will rub their backs before picking them up. I have yet to been bit from any of my collection.

9. The only regret I have about my pythons is that I didn't get them sooner

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum. Alright, lets get start:

Is it okay to buy a ball python at a pet store?:
    Yes, it is completely okay if you know what you are looking for. And yes, definitely call them and ask. Most stores will say captive hatched, this is NOT the same thing has captive bred. Captive hatched basically means they took the eggs from the wild and were only hatched in captivity. These snakes have a high tendency to have parasites. If you cannot find a breeder near you and you end up getting one from a petstore you're going to want to take it to the vet just for a check up to make sure everything is a-ok.

What size of tank is good?: Most people start their bps off between 10-15 gal. 5 is way too small. You can get away with a 20 gallon if you clutter the cage so your snake can feel secure.

What do ball pythons do all the time?: Everything single snake is different. Some hide 24/7, and some are fairly active. But most of them do in fact hide most of the time.

What items is it absolutely imperative to not get poor quality on?: Yes, you would be right. Thermometers are the biggest thing not to slack off on. None of those gauges! Invest in a temp gun and a probe.

What are some small things you can do to make your ball python really comfortable and happy?: As a lot of people say on here, a happy ball python is a hiding ball python. Again, it depends on the snake, but covering the sides will definitely help. As long as he's eating regularly for you, you can assume he's quite content.

Is it okay to "play" with your snake, and if so, how much?: Absolutely. However, when you first get him, you should keep handling to a minimum and slowly lengthen the periods over time. If he starts to go off feed, that is when you know you're handling him too much.

Do you do anything to let the python know that you're going to pick them up, take them out, or feed them?: Yes, I saw that video as well when I was researching and that is what I practice. You never want to take them completely by surprise.

Do people ever get buyer's regret: Not that I have heard of. Usually after a couple of days/weeks, you're going to end up wanting more!
    0.1 Normal Ball Python - Athena
    1.0 American Leatherback Bearded Dragon - Ares

Thanks

Re: some questions before becoming an owner

Quote Originally Posted by beandog View Post
    Hey guys, I have been doing a *lot* of research on having a ball python as a pet before deciding to get one, but I had some questions before making the leap. While I would love to have a new pet, I realize that this is a long-term commitment of taking care of one, so I'm trying to take it slow and not get swept up in the novelty of a new idea. I'm staying objective so that, if it's not a good idea, I don't go with it. However, everything I've read so far indicates that I'd really like having one. That, and they are just so cute.

So, a couple of things I haven't seen yet while bouncing around the forums.

Is it okay to buy a ball python at a pet store? I haven't seen a lot of strong opinions on other side of the argument, or it just doesn't come up at all. Personally, I'd prefer to buy one somewhere I can see them and handle them before buying, since I like to know what I'm getting myself into. That basically means a local pet store (either Pet Smart or a local shop if they have them).

Now I have read that those who are bred in captivity tend to do better in general, but what does that mean? Can the other ones be tamed just as well, but it takes longer or what? Also, what kind do they sell at major pet store chains anyway? Should I call the manager and ask where they get theirs from?

I can tell you now that even the manager probably will not know. There's one chick at the Petsmart here that things she knows everything about every animal. I avoid going in there now because I don't want to hear it from her. Although I DO enjoy throwing her off and seeing that moment of "Uh.. I don't know." on her face when I mention something about fish or BP she didn't know.

I've heard that store bought ones are often imported and can be harder to get to eat consistently. Don't know from experience. I wanted a morph, and I wanted to not get ripped off by paying 80 bucks for normal, so I shopped online. When you shop online you know where you're snake is coming from, how often he eats, what he's eating, how old he is, what he ways, etc. (provided you buy from a good breeder). Honestly I'd never even touched a snake until the day Allure came and I unboxed him. Pics are plenty good to know what you're getting.

What size of tank is good? I've looked at the options, and I don't want a tub for my first one, so, yah, I'm sticking to getting a tank. I've read lots of differing opinions again that generally agree that smaller is better. The thing is, I don't quite understand *why* that is the case. And for that matter, what's the largest that you guys would recommend? I'm not going for a bigger is better approach but if it comes down to a 5 gallon versus a 10 gallon, I'd like to know what's best, or if in that size range it really matters.

No lie, I was kicking myself on letting myself get talked into a tank by that Petsmart lady. I talked to their so called "reptile expert" and she said I'd melt a tub with a heating pad. I should of done more research on tub
    durability and/or found this place before buying that stupid tank set. Tanks take a lot of tweaking to get right. It is cool to be able to see him clearly though. I have Allure in a 20 gal tank. He's about four/five months old now. It's cluttered up with a tree branch (Petsmart bought), water bowl, two hides, and some fake plants. They like smaller because it makes them more secure. They live in holes in the ground/termite mounds in the wild so they're used to being crammed into places.

The other question related to that is, would you go with a plastic enclosure or a glass tank? I've read pros and cons on both sides, where one is easier to heat or the other is easier to clean, but nothing really solid in either area.

What do ball pythons do all the time? I realize they're nocturnal so they only come "out" at night, but what do they even do then? Do they come out of their hides? What is "normal" behavior? (strangely enough, this is one topic I've never seen mentioned

Allure hides after meals and comes out when he's hungry or just feels like chilling on his tree branch or something. He varies all the time. They move around, climb, check out how secure your lid is, watch you sometimes, etc.

What items is it absolutely imperative to not get poor quality on? I'm not cheap by any means, and I always err on the side of quality, but if there's something really vital to watch out for, what would those be? Everything I've read seems to indicate that the most important thing you can do is give them good hides and keep the temperature and humidity at the proper levels. So I'm guessing that means getting good warmers and temperature gauges and so on.

Herpistat seems to be the best thermostat according to the reading on here. I use hydrofarm thermostats. They're about 25 bucks on Amazon. For heating pads I use ZooMed. Per the suggestions on here I use a accurite humidity and temperature reading for the humidity and ambient temp reading. Also buy a temperature gun (which I also bought from amazon) so you can see what the floor temps are.

What are some small things you can do to make your ball python really comfortable and happy? Just curious if there's any small little tips of things to do or avoid. I figure a happy python makes a happy owner.

While I'm on the subject, how do you know if your ball python is happy and content?I
    I'd say eating, drinking, pooping, urates, good sheds, etc are all good marks of a content ball python.

I have 3 sides of Allure's tank covered by taping black construction paper to the outside. When I first got him I covered all sides so he'd feel more safe in his new home. I kept three up just because I go in and out of my room all the time plus I like the black backdrop.

Is it okay to "play" with your snake, and if so, how much? By "play", I basically mean, let out of his tank and just either crawl around me or wherever just to give him some free space. This is one area I have seen the most conflicting advice, across the board. Some people say to not handle them for more than a few minutes a few times a week, and some people say handling them every day is fine and it helps them get used to having humans around, too. Based on the polar opinions, I kinda get the idea that a regular level of handling is fine.

I take Allure out whenever I have time to. Sometimes I go a days inbetween, some days I hold him 2-3 times a day, sometimes it's just 10 minutes other times it's 30min-to an hour. I usually have him out when I watch shows on my computer. He either constantly roams the bed, curls up in the folds of the blanket, or curls up underneath the laptop. He's used to me now though. When I first got him I'd only hold him for 5-10 minutes a few times a day.

Do you do anything to let the python know that you're going to pick them up, take them out, or feed them? One video I found on youtube, the owner would gently stroke his snake a few times on the side so that she knew she was going to get picked up. Basically he said that he did that so that she knew that he was there. Seemed like a smart idea to me. Also, I remember reading somewhere someone else mentioning that they would tap on the glass a few times to let them know that they are going to open the cage or take them out -- basically that they are going to be interacted with soon. I realize that they are by nature really shy, so these to me seemed like good ideas, but I have no idea if they are actually effective or not.

Pretty sure we saw the same video. Personally I just reach in and grab him. I either have to lift his hide up first or just grab him while he's stretched out. He knows someone is there when I lift the hide and he can see me coming when he's out so he knows I'm there. I don't think stroking is needed.

I hate to ask this question, but do people ever get buyer's regret, similar to buying a new car and then getting tired of it a few days later? Again, like I said, I'm doing lots of research and taking things slow so I don't get swept up in the excitement and make a purely emotional decision. But I do have to consider that I might freak out after a few days realizing what I got myself into (though I doubt it at this point because I'm doing a lot to prevent that). I'm just curious to ask, what would people in that situation do? Do they return the pet to the store, or what?

Can't give you anything here.
    Sorry this is so long. I have seriously done so much research that I come home and I honestly expect there to be a ball python at my house because I've prepped myself mentally so much. It's crazy. The best part though is that I already have a cool name picked out, so I have to get one now, right!?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer. These forums have been really helpful. I probably forgot some question to add, so I'll followup later if I think of anything.
    Now I've only owned my BP for about 7 weeks now, but I did a lot of reading before over a month before getting one. Just going to put my responses in turquoise above.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    Everything else has pretty much been said

About Buyer's Remorse. I have witness a few cases of buyer's remorse when it comes to ball python, most comes from people that did zero research before they buy it. As long as you know when you are getting into there should be no regret. Know that ball python isn't the best display pet, its usually hiding 90% of the time. Actually it doesn't do much more than eat sleep and defecate. They continue to be this boring for decades till it passes. It also will not show you affection nor wants affection, to add to that not everybody will like your new pet some will even chastised you for keeping snake and/or feeding it rodents.

For me i enjoy taking care of and being in close proximity with a wild animal and reptiles just fascinate me. Sounds like op is the same
    1.4 Ball Python 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Bci

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

some questions before becoming an owner

[QUOTE=beandog;2039806]

Is it okay to buy a ball python at a pet store?

I would never buy one from a pet store. There are a few reasons for this. At the chain stores they are usually captive hatched, imported babies, which have likely never taken a meal. They are not kept at the proper temperatures or humidity. The chain stores support the HSUS (this is a fact, just search their tax reports yearly to see the thousands they contribute) and the HSUS is 100% against pet ownership, especially reptiles.

Buy from a breeder. Either at a local reptile show/expo, or a reptile speciality shop. Or online from a reputable breeder. We have the BOI (board of inquiry) on faunaclassifieds.com, and we have a feedback forum for breeders/sellers/buyers on here also.

If you see something you want, check that persons name and email against the BOI and feedback forums. Is it a good and reputable seller? Have they had problems in the past? Etc..

I assure you it is very safe to ship these animals if done properly. Ask lots of questions. Don't buy from someone who is unwilling g to talk to you and answer everything you want to know about that particular animal. Does it eat? How often? How many meals has it had since hatching? What does it eat exactly? Is it tame and easy to handle? Or is it a nervous and bitey baby? What is it's weight? (If these questions are not in the immediate add or listing)

What size of tank is good?

I would never use an aquarium for a snake. Even the exoterra tanks are difficult to control the temp and humidity. Anything with a screen top or front is a no no in my book. Many people use tanks and cover the top, but I'm one of the many who will say its more hassle than its worth..

I recommend a 2ftx2ft PVC, or even melamine reptile enclosure with flexwatt belly heat. The enclosed reptile cages are a breeze to keep the proper stats in. They look nice, are lightweight, etc.. Look into animal plastics, boaphiles, etc.. The 2x2 is perfect for a BP forever. Simply clutter it up with stuff and bunched up paper and paper towels as a baby.

What do ball pythons do all the time?

Not much of anything. They eat (hopefully), and just hang out in a hide. A hiding ball is a happy ball.

What items is it absolutely imperative to not get poor quality on?

Don't skimp on the thermostat.. Go with herpstat, helix, ranco, or some other digital thermostat. The helix and herpstat are proportional thermostats which mean they do not turn off and on as needed. They work like a dimmer and simply reduce the power going to the heat source to keep it at a steady temperature. Proportional is better in the long run. its less wear n tear on the unit itself. Look into spending at least $100 and up for a good one. You can find cheap on/off thermostats for around $40 too. Like hydro farms digital therms. Not the greatest, but they do the job and are dependable.

What are some small things you can do to make your ball python really comfortable and happy?

Simply provide the perfect atmosphere.. Ball pythons are naturally a terrestrial species. Nocturnal mostly. They live in the wild in termite mounds and abandoned rodent burrows. Males are known to go searching for food and mates (during breeding season), and even to be in the low branches of trees sometimes. They are terrible climbers though, and can fall. Females often will not leave their burrow/mound if enough food happens by the entrance often enough. Ball pythons are solitary snakes that love to be hidden and in the dark.

Supply it with 2 identical, preferably plastic, tight fitting hide boxes that only have one way in. A decent sized water bowl, and maybe a fake plant/vine or pieces of driftwood. The decorations are more for your pleasure but very young babies appreciate a cluttered cage. They feel safer.

Is it okay to "play" with your snake, and if so, how much?

Handling 2-3 days after they eat to give time for digestion is fine. Always support them. Never leave unattended even for a second. They can crawl away or fall off something before you even know it.

As for picking up, babies, or nervous adults even, can be strikers. Never reach in going directly toward its face. This could cause a fear strike, or hunger strike if its hungry. Most likely it's fear/defense though. Always come from above and behind. Quickly. Reach down and scoop it up quickly. 99.9% of the time they are completely fine once out of the enclosure. Never reach in smelling like rodents, and always feed from long tongs unless its a snake that prefers to eat thawed or prekilled which has been left in overnight. Then you can just drop it near the hide and that's that.

You can also just drop a small hand towel over the snakes head and then quickly scoop it up. This would be for hatchlings that are very nervous and want to strike out at anything. I don't often see juvies or adults act this way outside of breeding females but its always possible.

Buyers remorse usually comes when people hurry up and buy the first BP they see. Then it's sick, or won't eat, or isn't the morph they wanted, or isn't the quality they wanted.. Also when people discover their annoying eating habits. Or lack thereof. They can try your patience there. Or when it's discovered that they are probably the least exciting snake to own as far as activity level or expressiveness and interaction level. Some species show an intelligence and awareness that others don't seem to show. Bps not so much. Bps make wonderful pets once you've done your homework but if you're looking for stimulation, they are probably not the best choice. Quite relaxing though.

Just look over the care sheet on this site. It's the best one I've seen. Decide on exactly what you want. Be sure you have EVERYTHING you need beforehand.

The thermometer you want to get is called the accurite weather station. Walmart sells them in the hardware/paint section by the thermometers. It's about $12 and had a probe. It's digital. With that you can monitor the hot side, cool side, and humidity all at the same time with a small, affordable unit.

Don't use anything like the little analog dial discs. They are crap. They are WAY off as far as the temp and humidity readings. I have multiple accurites and they have never done me wrong. I also use helix, herpstat, and ranco thermostats to control my heat sources.

I hope this helped a bit!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts
    It looks to me like your questions have been answered pretty thoroughly, so I'll just add: WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~