Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,273

2 members and 2,271 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Ugh she won't eat.

I got my snake about a week ago and the breeder fed her 6 days before I got her. I've offered her a f/t pinkie, she weighs 113g, she has two identical hides, temps are all good I've left her alone and I don't know what else to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    A f/t rat pinky or mouse pinky?

What was the breeder feeding her before?

Have you only offered once or multiple times within the week or so of having her?

What is she housed in (tank/tub) and what size is it? Does she have lots of fake plants/crumpled up newspaper or is the enclosure somewhat open?
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks
    first off, my snake took more than a week to calm down. this was because i kept checkin on him, i wish i had a see through cover with black construction paper in the beginning, now i can see the temp and humidity without removing the lid which will cause stress to a new snake.

be honest man are you misting to keep humidity up or do you have waterbowls that equal out humidity.

i noticed misting/spraying stresses out my snake - also its makin the humidity get out of whack cause one minute its 90 n then the next its 40. Get waterbowls. 1 on each side, n then fill it to the top n check every now an then to start off.

try n feed live if humidity isn't the problem. my snake has actually calmed down since feeding live, just my own observation or the fella getting used to me.

also, he wouldn't eat a mouse or rat that wasn't moving/ frozen/thawed. but once he saw movement he turned his head an then two seconds later the rat is stuck in the pythons ball its quite crazy how quick the reaction was. i was NOT expecting it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Careful filling the water bowls to the top. If the snake takes a dip the body will displace the water and flood the tank. Then depending on the setup the flooding could cause issues.

As for the feeding. A pink is to small and the snake is probably not going to recognize it as food. You should feed 10-15% of the snakes body weight. So your snake should be getting a feeder that is about 10-15 grams. Usually that is a hopper or small adult mouse.

I would get a hopper and try again in a few days.

If you are trying to feed a rat pink and its not working I would stop and get it eating regularly on mice then later try to transition to rats.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

Ugh she won't eat.

It's only been a week dude, honestly I wouldn't even have tried to feed that snake ONCE yet. New additions come, wait 7-10 days, and then are offered food. They don't take it? Another 5-7 days before offering again.

Just be patient! That is the key

Thanks

Ugh she won't eat.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadSpace View Post
    I got my snake about a week ago and the breeder fed her 6 days before I got her. I've offered her a f/t pinkie, she weighs 113g, she has two identical hides, temps are all good I've left her alone and I don't know what else to do.
    Is it by chance a pied?

Thanks
    She is a Het Orange Ghost. Humidity is good I have a water dish. I offered her a mouse, I'm gonna leave her for week and try with a bigger hopper. I know I have to be patient I'm just really bad at that! Her tank is 18x18x12

Thanks

Re: Ugh she won't eat.

Okay...so I just got my first bp Thursday morning. I saw him sniffing around the tank like he's hunting for something.

It's only day #3, but I decided to give it a shot.

He weighed in at 155g and I'm feeding him a 19g f/t adult mouse.

He struck it & tried to eat...but he ate from a hind leg. He was getting nowhere fast.
    Eventually, he gave up and didn't want to try again after that.

Seeing as how he gave it a shot, it means he wants to eat. Should I try again tomorrow, or just leave him be like I was supposed to?
    Last edited by Greekinese; 03-17-2013 at 03:32 AM.
    1.0 Pastel Butter (pics)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Ugh she won't eat.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadSpace View Post
    She is a Het Orange Ghost. Humidity is good I have a water dish. I offered her a mouse, I'm gonna leave her for week and try with a bigger hopper. I know I have to be patient I'm just really bad at that! Her tank is 18x18x12
    Yeah, a mouse pinky is much too small for ANY ball python. Even a hatchling unless its one of those rare premie balls that's 35 grams at hatching.

At over 100 grams it should be on mouse hoppers/weans or rat crawlers easily. A 100 gram BP isn't even goi g to recognize a mouse pink as food I bet.