Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,389

2 members and 3,387 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Time to give up on F/T and feed live?

My ball python ate like a pig the first year I had him. Then around October last year stopped eating regularly. He has eaten 4 rats (40-50grams each) since 10/31/2012. I've tried 90-100gram ones as well b/c he was around 1200-1300 grams when this all started. He seems interested at first but eventually completely ignores the rat. He has never once struck at the rat when I put it in with tongs, instead I leave it lay outside his hide and those couple times he has ate it later in the night. I've tried feeding in the evening and later at night, makes no difference. Heating with hair dryer, not heating with the hair dryer makes no difference either.

As far as husbandry goes he has 2 identical hides, temps are 78-80 ambient and a hot spot of 91-93.

I don't hardly handle him anymore, just been trying to leave him alone for the most part, but nothing seems to help. I haven't really weighed him lately but I can tell he looks skinnier. Guess I can do that later.

How long should I let this go on? Is it time to pull the plug on the F/T idea and try feeding live? What would I do with a live rat if he doesn't eat it? I have one snake so it's not like I can offer it to another one. Maybe someone knows a breeder in the Raleigh area I could either buy rats from or give an uneaten specimen to. I certainly don't want a rat for a pet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    If he lost a certain % of body weight then he should be fed however possible, otherwise I would wait him out. If he has eaten F/T before then he knows it's food. They're very smart when it comes to basic functions such as eating. I think 10% of his body weight is what people usually recommend? You'd be surprised how good they are at not losing weight when they stop eating. This is otherwise normal behavior for the season and I wouldn't get too worried UNLESS he lost a certain percent of body weight or has other symptoms.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks
    I found the blow dryer method doesn't really work that well in my opinion. Try using a heat lamp. Let you thawed rodent sit under it for about 5 to 10 minutes. the heat lamp should be around a foot away from the rodent too. I use 100wat bulb and it works great for me. I some times hold the rodent up to it for a few seconds just before i offer it too. It really helps. make sure if your snake strikes you tug on the rodent too! keep stimulating the food response.

Thanks
    Eating four times in five months isn't that bad. Keep trying and get a current weight. If it starts to drop, then you can worry. Some ball pythons just go off feed occasionally.

Thanks
    I had problems switching my BP to f/t. I finally found a way that worked, you should try it.

Thaw the rat (in a sandwich bag) in bucket of hot water till its thawed (usually takes about an hour for me). When its done, take the rat (still in the bag) and put it in your sink, let hot water drain onto its HEAD ONLY for about 3 minutes or so. After that, take it out of the bag and with a pair of tongs, drag the rat on the bottom of the tank like it's alive and moving. My BP goes for it a good 75-90% of the time!

I used to feed my BP live and she was just like yours, a non stop eater (I even fed her twice a week). When I switched to frozen, I tried every trick people told me and nothing ever worked. I randomly tried what I just explained to you and it seems to be working great! I've been feeding her like this for about 3 or 4 months now. She is on a eating strike at the moment though....

Good luck!

Thanks
    Every time I use a heat lamp to heat my rodents their bellies bust. I recommend thawing overnight in the fridge (which is the safest way to thaw any meat) then warming in a plastic bag in hot water. If you try to thaw in hot water you will be getting the outside of the rat too warm while the inside is still frozen. I put it in some hot water for maybe 10 minutes, then blast it with a hair dryer until it feels warm to the touch. That works for me. Just make sure you're getting the f/t rats really warm, as their natural body temp is around 100 degrees.
    1.0 Normal
    1.0 Beardie

Thanks
    Other than not eating he acts fine. Spends 90% time hiding. Sometimes he comes out at night for a bit. Moves from warm side to cool side of the tank off and on. Seems pretty normal to me.

I really wouldn't mind feeding live. Heck I think it would be easier and I wouldn't have to listen to my wife complain when she finds a rat thawing in the kitchen sink. I just don't know what to do with the stupid thing if he refuses it.

Thanks
    It's most likely a breeding season fast. Most all BPs of size (and those who aren't, as well) do it during the winter. So long as he's not losing weight I wouldn't worry. Weigh once every week or two and if he starts dropping significant amounts of weight then it's time to start offering again.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???