Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 860

1 members and 859 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks

Re: Western diamondback pics.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_ladouceur View Post
    There is no need to apologize. You did a great thing. I simply wanted to point out that the animal you were handling was not the animal you thought it was and provide you and any people reading this post acurate information.

You think don't research and acquiring knowledge is a waste of time? Odd, what exactly about that do you find not worth time or effort?
    I'm sorry but pointing out a miss labeled animal,especially a venomous one is not nit picking IMO, it's simply sharing of information. And as far as I understand it is kind of the point of this forum board. And you asked who cares about the right Latin name for the animal in question, I do, most serious Herp enthusiasts do; researchers, scientist; oh and I'd bet the attending physician in the event of a bite would be very interested in knowing the correct name of the animal that caused the bite. Although the natural habitat's of atrox and viridis don't overlap, the antivenom used is the same, and the bite treatment protocol would be basically the same. It would probably be best if they didn't have to waste anytime trying to figure how you got bit by an animal that doesn't live anywhere close to where you were bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crotalids View Post
    Good job.

But in future, don't bother pinning a venomous snakes for no reason.

1. You aren't experienced in pinning venomous snakes, you are presenting yourself with an opportunity to get tagged.

2. It's needless stress on the animal. Just get a stick, and move it. End of story.

That's not viridis Jason, that's Crotalus oreganus - Northern pacific rattlesnake.
    Moving it on a stick would have irritated it...? Far less than pinning, otherwise venomous keepers would pin our snakes every day.

I'm just pointing out to you, that pinning a snake serves you no purpose. Unless you're trying to look macho.
    Do you always act like a child?

It happens even to the best, like George Van Horn: http://youtu.be/_Gmlc1-d3QQ
    Who may I add, has pinned 1000's of venomous snakes.

I'm not giving the OP advice, for me to sound as if I'm knowledgeable. I'm giving him advice, so that next time he doesn't put himself in a dangerous situation, as he's already admitted he is not experienced with venomous snakes.
    My first reply to this thread was just one of simple advice:

"Good job.

1. You aren't experienced in pinning venomous snakes, you are presenting yourself with an opportunity to get tagged.

2. It's needless stress on the animal. Just get a stick, and move it. End of story. "

To which the OP replied in a defensive manner, saying he didn't ask for my advice etc. At the end of the day, i am the one with experience with venomous snakes, not him. For HIS safety i merely pointed out that he should not be pinning a venomous snake, if he does not have the necessary experience. Like Jason has previously stated, venomous keepers only pin their snakes as an absolute last resort. I don't understand why you think we are saying this to seem 'more knowledgeable', if the OP won't take heed of the advice, fine, but hopefully someone else reading this thread might do so in the future.

If you think Jason's comment about knowing the species was off handed, it isn't. You obviously do not understand the implications of a venomous snake bite. Just because they use the same antivenom for rattlesnake bites, does NOT mean it's a good idea to know nothing about the species you are trying to relocate etc. It is very important, rattlesnakes venom is very different to one another (From mild local effects, to life threatening systemic symptoms), and can be very different even amongst the same species dependent on the locale. e.g Crotalus scutulatus (Mojave rattlesnake)
    Lol kinda beat me to the punch on that one. So I'm just gonna say x2 what he said. Really the only one that has been stirring the pot and making jabs here is a member who has added next to nothing to the conversation except some bla bla bla about a useless iPhone app.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jason_ladouceur For This Useful Post:

Seanjackmc (03-13-2013)

Thanks

Woah hold up. Siri is not some useless app! She knows if its raining outside before I even get of bed in the morning!
    nice work on the quoting yourself though lmao!
    I promise ill leave this alone now, thanks for the chuckle as I scrolled down you post not reading any of it.
    Im gonna go pin my ball python so my wife thinks I'm a macho macho man?
    Enjoy the rest of Tuesday!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seanjackmc View Post
    Woah hold up. Siri is not some useless app! She knows if its raining outside before I even get of bed in the morning!
    nice work on the quoting yourself though lmao!
    I promise ill leave this alone now, thanks for the chuckle as I scrolled down you post not reading any of it.
    Im gonna go pin my ball python so my wife thinks I'm a macho macho man?
    Enjoy the rest of Tuesday!
    Sounds about right, on all counts. And your welcome. At least you managed to get something out of this thread. To bad it wasn't knowledge.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

Thanks
    [img]http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/3a6/a26/e2b/resized/og-meme-generator-shake-your-****s-this-pissing-contest-is-over-e62bcd.jpg?1319601457.jpg[/img]

Ill just leave that right there... *walks away quietly*

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pookie! For This Useful Post:

jason_ladouceur (03-13-2013)

Thanks

Western diamondback pics.

My first reply to this thread was just one of simple advice:

"Good job.

2. It's needless stress on the animal. Just get a stick, and move it. End of story. "

To which the OP replied in a defensive manner, saying he didn't ask for my advice etc. At the end of the day, i am the one with experience with venomous snakes, not him. For HIS safety i merely pointed out that he should not be pinning a venomous snake, if he does not have the necessary experience. Like Jason has previously stated, venomous keepers only pin their snakes as an absolute last resort. I don't understand why you think we are saying this to seem 'more knowledgeable', if the OP won't take heed of the advice, fine, but hopefully someone else reading this thread might do so in the future.

If you think Jason's comment about knowing the species was off handed, it isn't. You obviously do not understand the implications of a venomous snake bite. Just because they use the same antivenom for rattlesnake bites, does NOT mean it's a good idea to know nothing about the species you are trying to relocate etc. It is very important, rattlesnakes venom is very different to one another (From mild local effects, to life threatening systemic symptoms), and can be very different even amongst the same species dependent on the locale. e.g Crotalus scutulatus (Mojave rattlesnake)
    Ughhhh. So I will reiterate. I AM NOT A "HOTS" KEEPER!!!! It's in caps so please read it through and try to commit this tid bit if information to memory because it is the foundation for the rest of the things that I am going to have to restate here. I do not handle venomous snakes for sh$&s and giggles or even to gather data. "This was a single isolated incident in which I had to move the snake a considerable distance. Not 50 feet but more like a quarter mile or so. <---Okay now I want to point out that I have already stated this. I want to congratulate you on handling hots. I want to make sure that you understand that everyone here has seen and read when you obnoxiously qualified yourself by stating your ability and current success rate<--- (which I'm sure will hold up with that attitude.) All those points are void. Pinning a snake is a baaaaaaad idea. NOTED (a million times noted). You may be a competent hots keeper but you are fumbling through this thread missing the single point that would end this convo like you have some kind of learning disability. If you are going to post on this thread please read it all the way through so as not to cause any more unnecessary misunderstanding. I said all information is welcome including the information on how to properly handle the snake. Seeing as how I was camping and did not know that I could walk a rattler a quarter mile balanced on a stick I did it by pinning his head. I understand that it stresses the animal out but since I do not keep hots this is the way I felt most comfortable transporting him. If you want to leave me your number I can give you a call next time I run In to this sort of situation. Just in case I don't get reception though can you just post a detailed message on the proper handling of this particular species? Just on the off chance that I some how come across one again in the same situation. In fact can you just drop some knowledge man!!! Let us all know the proper handling of all the venomous species in my region. The point I'm getting at is you chastised me for the way I relocated the snake all the while trying to create rapport by tossing around bits of knowledge that would be received well if you weren't trying to use it to fuel a roundabout argument that's pointless based on the fact that I did not intend to run into this situation and I had no resources or references on hand to help me adequately handle the snake. I did the best I could. Like I said leave your number for the rest of us. That way we can just give you a ring and you can walk us through how the self proclaimed yoda of hots handling does it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Herpenthusiast3 For This Useful Post:

Seanjackmc (03-13-2013),Willie76 (03-14-2013)

Thanks

Lol! Best post ever!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Seanjackmc For This Useful Post:

Herpenthusiast3 (03-13-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Herpenthusiast3 View Post
    Ughhhh. So I will reiterate. I AM NOT A "HOTS" KEEPER!!!! It's in caps so please read it through and try to commit this tid bit if information to memory because it is the foundation for the rest of the things that I am going to have to restate here. I do not handle venomous snakes for sh$&s and giggles or even to gather data. "This was a single isolated incident in which I had to move the snake a considerable distance. Not 50 feet but more like a quarter mile or so. <---Okay now I want to point out that I have already stated this. I want to congratulate you on handling hots. I want to make sure that you understand that everyone here has seen and read when you obnoxiously qualified yourself by stating your ability and current success rate<--- (which I'm sure will hold up with that attitude.) All those points are void. Pinning a snake is a baaaaaaad idea. NOTED (a million times noted). You may be a competent hots keeper but you are fumbling through this thread missing the single point that would end this convo like you have some kind of learning disability. If you are going to post on this thread please read it all the way through so as not to cause any more unnecessary misunderstanding. I said all information is welcome including the information on how to properly handle the snake. Seeing as how I was camping and did not know that I could walk a rattler a quarter mile balanced on a stick I did it by pinning his head. I understand that it stresses the animal out but since I do not keep hots this is the way I felt most comfortable transporting him. If you want to leave me your number I can give you a call next time I run In to this sort of situation. Just in case I don't get reception though can you just post a detailed message on the proper handling of this particular species? Just on the off chance that I some how come across one again in the same situation. In fact can you just drop some knowledge man!!! Let us all know the proper handling of all the venomous species in my region. The point I'm getting at is you chastised me for the way I relocated the snake all the while trying to create rapport by tossing around bits of knowledge that would be received well if you weren't trying to use it to fuel a roundabout argument that's pointless based on the fact that I did not intend to run into this situation and I had no resources or references on hand to help me adequately handle the snake. I did the best I could. Like I said leave your number for the rest of us. That way we can just give you a ring and you can walk us through how the self proclaimed yoda of hots handling does it.
    Once again you are unable to grasp what I what trying to get across.

I never tried to chastise you for pinning the snake on that occasion. If you bothered to read what I said initially, you'll see that I said good job, but NEXT time x, y and z. What's done is done, all anyone has advised is that next time you do things differently.

I know you aren't a venomous keeper, which is exactly why I am telling you not to pin a snake you are not experienced with! From the picture it looks as if you have your thumb under the chin of the snake, which is an incredibly bad idea. I've had snakes put their fangs through their lower jaw whilst pinned.

You can call me if you like, but you'll have a hefty phone bill as I don't live in the States!

Thanks

that does not look like any westie that ive ever seen. the head is so beautiful though

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonboy For This Useful Post:

Herpenthusiast3 (09-26-2013)

Thanks
    Cool photos. The internet pissing contest was somewhat humorous as well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Borgy76 For This Useful Post:

Herpenthusiast3 (09-26-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Borgy76 View Post
    Cool photos. The internet pissing contest was somewhat humorous as well.
    Thanks Borgy. Yeah, I had to throw those pants out. Soaked through to the shoe! I didn't think I would be visiting this thread again, but hello.

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonboy View Post
    that does not look like any westie that ive ever seen. the head is so beautiful though
    Thanks BPboy. I wish I had a better camera at the time because the cyber shot that I had did not do it justice. I can't truly vouch for it being a western so my topic title was definitely presumptuous and a tad bit hasty. I live in the Northern California area and I'm under the impression it's either a western (crotalus atrox) or a pacific (crotalus oreganus). I'm not an expert so you definitely may be correct if you are versed in rattlers.
    Last edited by Herpenthusiast3; 09-26-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345