Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,944

0 members and 2,944 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Burmeese

Thanks
    I got this old 250 gallon fish tank sitting in the basement , I bought a reptile screen for it a couple of weeks ago.. I havent cleaned it yet, but I was considering buying a baby Burmeese. Anybody know if this 250 is gonna be enough to house an adult?.. And if not, any ideas on a enclosure for a full grown burmeese?
    " I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex " - Mikey -

1 Human/Girlfriend - my baby<3
    1 Colombian Red Tail Boa - Casper
    1 Ball Python - Olah

They do not make an aquarium big enough for an adult Burm. Do you know how big these snakes get? Do you have any idea how powerful a snake that size is? You feel that feeding with tongs is "sissy" so I don't think a feeding error with an adult Burm is going to do you or this hobby any good.

You are jumping wayyyyy ahead of yourself IMO. A Burmese Python is a HUGE responsibility and very few people out there are truly capable of providing a good home for such a large snake. Learn to take care of your current snakes first.

Thanks
    I think i can handle it, I dont need tongs, I will just hold the food item in my hand and let him get it from there.. I always like feeding my animals from my hand, my cats like it too ;X
    " I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex " - Mikey -

1 Ball Python - Olah

Thanks
    jk .. dont throw a fit lol

1 Ball Python - Olah

Thanks
    and btw... I never said using tongs in general is "sissy" like.. I was talking about a baby ball eating a frozen mouse. Its not like I would not use tongs while feeding a burmeese. I disagree with your little statement and I could take care of a burmeese.. I've built large enclosures for an animal before. I am sure me and my father in law could handle a enclosure for a large snake and it would actualy be something to think about for me, and I wouldnt just jump into the idea but it was just a little thought. I am in no means " jumping ahead of my self ", I havent yet purchased the snake. I've seen pictures, and read enough to know how big and strong a burmeese is.

1 Ball Python - Olah

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well, since David wasn't quite 'clear' on how big burmese (ONE 'e', not two) pythons get, let me jump in. They can get 15-20+ feet, weighing waaaaaay over 100 pounds. I don't think David is telling you that you can't do it (who knows, maybe he is, lol) but you need to go into buying a burm with a LOT of experience under your belt. They are a really awesome snake, but you have to know what you are doing. When they reach adult hood, and even sub-adult hood, they will be devouring chickens, pigs, goats, rabbits, you name it. That gets expensive. Trust me, you will probably be spending more money on snake food then your own food. Just a thought.

I am NOT trying to discourage you from getting a burmese python. All I am saying here (and I am sure Rustys' Dragons can back me up here) that people buy a little 16" cute baby burmese python that eats little white mice, and once it gets too big for colossal rats (about 6 months old or so), they dump it somewhere (even when they KNEW and were TOLD that it would get huge, and bigger than they would be able to hold on their own). It's a real chore owning a burmese python. If you have room for it, and you read and read and read, ask questions and more questions, buy books, go online, READ, etc.., I think you could take very well care of a burmese python if you realize it is still something you want to get into. Also keep in mind that the snakes lifespan could reach 30 years. All I am saying is do tons of research.

Jennifer

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You also may want to check and make sure you can even LEGALLY own a burmese in your area. I know many cities don't even allow snakes that mature over 5-7'. I have talked to people who can't even own a Colombian BCI. Just because your local petstore carries them, doesn't mean you can bring it home.

Oh, and about the joke above, those are the kind of things that "authority figures" notice when browsing a forum like this, and ban giant snakes in their area. I know you were joking, but how would they know that.

Jennifer

Thanks
    It's nice to read an entry that somebody writes who is trying to help, rather then bash and humliate. My fiance has cousins who live on a farm in wisconsin. We go up there during the summer every weekend (her dad likes to go hunting), anyway, her dad was into keeping big snakes when he lived in the Phillipeans and wanted some type of big python which I soon mentioned the Burmeese. I will probably talk to him tomorrow about this, but I think were gonna split the expenses on actualy buying the snake and im sure a home on the farm would be a nice place for a Burmeese.. The food wouldnt be an expense to neither of us. We will probably end up stopping at a home depot and building a large floor type enclosure(since david mentiond they dont sell vivariums or reptariums of a burmeese size and a 250 wouldnt be enough). I'm thankfull that you took your time to deliver some important facts, and i deff will read more on it.

1 Ball Python - Olah

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

The Velociraptor Impression --

A burmese shouldn't go into a huge enclosure right away, though. It need something fairly small and of adequate size. I would say a baby burmese python can live in a >50 gallon aquarium or rubbermaid of similair size. More floor space is definately better than "head room". They need to stay in something kind of small for awhile to get them adjusted and acclimated, feeding, and in a comfortable, familiar envornment. I would say one could go into a huge custom built enclosure once it hits 6'-7' or so. (By that time it would have already been moved into say a 250-gal).

Jennifer

PS- BurmESE not BurmEESE!!!! LOL...

Thanks
    lol im sure we will figure out something.. I wasnt going to put him in the big enclsoure right away.. Just something we would build ahead of time =P

1 Ball Python - Olah

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast