Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,942

1 members and 2,941 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Betta too fat?

Thanks
    He looks like a veil tail to me, halfmoons tail spread 180 degrees when they flare. I'd definitely check out that site I mentioned if you haven't already
    ~My Crew~
    "Darigan" Dinker, "Mandark" Mojave, "Daedra" Lesser ph Ghost, "Voodoo" Black Pastel Ghost, "Astoria" Calibee

Thanks

Re: Betta too fat?

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeKittyFishy View Post
    He looks like a veil tail to me, halfmoons tail spread 180 degrees when they flare. I'd definitely check out that site I mentioned if you haven't already
    He does goto 180 when flaring. Those pics are him relaxed. I'm pretty sure I bought him as a half moon, but I will look into it...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

If you look closely from underneath, you can see if there are eggs in the bubbles. They're tiny and opaque.

As far as introducing the pair, I always used a spawn tank. Plain ten gallon set up with a sponge filter for gentle water filtration/flow and only about 6" of water. No gravel on the bottom, so dad could easily pick up fry that drop to the bottom. Put dad in tank, and let him acclimate for a few days. Put female into a quart mason jar, and set that down into the spawn tank. After a few days when she's looking ready, release her. Etc etc etc.

I loved bettas, but eventually got tired of cleaning all those jars.

Good luck!
    `*`

Thanks

After some research I believe he is a veil tail. They were both sold to me as half moons.

Another interesting thing I found is that two-color bettas are supposed to have 2 colors, body and fins. My female is a two color but has a "biohazard" black birthmark on her side making her 3 colors. I will try and get a pic later when I get home from work.

Thanks

Betta too fat?

I think mine is a half-moon... I forget what I bought him as. He is still kind of young (albeit fat, lol). Can you interbreed males and females? Or do they have to be the same? So many questions...
    Here is my boy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Kimbly

Pastel 'Cami' Mojave 'Tank'
    Kingpin 'Cleo'
    KillerBee 'Buzz'
    Pied 'Patches'
    Lesser 'Lieutenant Dan'
    Mojave 'Lyla'
    Het Pied 'Norm'
    2 Normals 'Audrey' and 'Girl'
    Fire 'Smokey'
    Black Pastel '#3'
    Normal 'Slim Shady'
    Butter

Sassy and Reilly, our furry girls

Gabrielle,
    Brynn, Samuel - our human kids

Thanks
    He's gorgeous kimbly! It's hard to tell whether he is halfmoon or delta without him flaring. I'm not even sure on mine because he doesn't flare at anything lol mine was sold as halfmoon but pet stores often mismark bettas. Get some good deals that way though, petco had an elephant ear marked as a delta. That's about $12 off and I really wanted him lol
    ~My Crew~
    "Darigan" Dinker, "Mandark" Mojave, "Daedra" Lesser ph Ghost, "Voodoo" Black Pastel Ghost, "Astoria" Calibee

Thanks

Betta too fat?

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeKittyFishy View Post
    He's gorgeous kimbly! It's hard to tell whether he is halfmoon or delta without him flaring. I'm not even sure on mine because he doesn't flare at anything lol mine was sold as halfmoon but pet stores often mismark bettas. Get some good deals that way though, petco had an elephant ear marked as a delta. That's about $12 off and I really wanted him lol
    Thank you! I want an Elephant Ear soooo bad, too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Kimbly

Pastel 'Cami' Mojave 'Tank'
    Kingpin 'Cleo'
    KillerBee 'Buzz'
    Pied 'Patches'
    Lesser 'Lieutenant Dan'
    Mojave 'Lyla'
    Het Pied 'Norm'
    2 Normals 'Audrey' and 'Girl'
    Fire 'Smokey'
    Black Pastel '#3'
    Normal 'Slim Shady'
    Butter

Sassy and Reilly, our furry girls

Gabrielle,
    Brynn, Samuel - our human kids

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    "Halfmoon" bettas are often less than half moon in full flare, and therefor aren't really a Half Moon. But the ones that are almost half moon are often sold into the pet trade as halfmoons because they have a wider tail than a traditional veiltail betta

As far as the colors, the bright red one is a "red, mismarked", not really a two color. A red or blue or green or black is often mismarked with little bits of color on fins or body. A two color traditionally should be evenly marked in a particular pattern set. Same for the blue, although it's harder for me to tell exactly with the pictures, and it's been some time since I was identifying betta colors/patterns. My favorite was always mustard gas half moons.

The bubble nest looks awfully small to me. Is he tending it a lot? Is the female no longer fat? If he wasn't really ready or they didn't do it right, he might eat the eggs and go back to making a nest and hoping for a egg laden female to show up.

Definitely have a bare bottom, because once the eggs do hatch, he will need to be able to pick up stray babies. You can also easily siphon the bottom free of poo or extra food, without disturbing the rest of the tank, using some rigid airline for the vacuum "nozzle" and regular airline to siphon into a bucket.

I raised a lot of babies. They do give a ton, but you can put them into ponds when you separate out the ones that look best, and if they live in the pond, they'll eat mosquito larvae. They LIKE warm water so ponds are perfect, even if koi or goldfish die (those are both colder water fish).

I always gave the male a spawning tank that the babies could be raised in(10 gallons but only filled halfway) and introduced the female when she seemed ready(first introductions can be through a jar or glass chimney so he can't immediately beat her up, with loads of live plants for her to hide in.

Good luck for having babies!
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeathByDabs View Post
    Do you think since he is watching the nest there is eggs in it?

BTW both are half moons.
    They HATE pictures but I tried to get some of the male. He is blue/red/purple. His blue has kinda taken over though.

the female would drop her eggs then the male would pick them up and place them in the nest. So if you have removed him and put him back in his own tank then no. The males guard the eggs after they are laid until they hatch, you will need to remove the female once they are finished quickly because he will try to chase her off. Once they eggs hatch you remove the male so he doesn't eat the babies. There are a lot of good references online and a lot of breeders who will offer good information, a lot like this site.
    *M.~

1.0 Western Hognose
    1.0 Cay Caulker boa
    1.0 Ghost Motley Corn
    1.0 Woma python
    1.0 Sumatran STP
    1.0 Cape File Snake
    0.1 Pastel Dream Boa
    0.1 Coral Albino Boa

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123