Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,173

0 members and 3,173 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Picking up snakes from seller

This isn't a shipping question but a question about in person delivery.

I have a guy interested in my half dwarf het albino burm. I live outside of Philly about a little more than an hour away from NY. So some people who have inquired about the snake and asked me to ship. I told them no. First of all burms are illegal in NY and second burms are illegal to ship across state lines.

First question is: Does this include dwarves? I'm pretty sure it does.

Second: If I get an inquiry about a snake and they tell me they will come pick it up is it MY responsibility to know where they are living? Is it legal to sell a snake here and then if the owner is out of state can they transport their own pet across state lines? I

Where does my responsibility end as a seller? I'm sure there are still a lot of burms crossing state lines. I'm not looking to do anything shady but do I need to check every single person's residency that comes to purchase my snakes?

Thanks,
    Luke
    "you only regret the risks in life you DON'T take."

Ohio but looking to relocate grrrr new laws!
    Thanks

Re: Picking up snakes from seller

Imo it is not your responsibility to know where they are from. However if you care about the welfare of the animal you wouldn't let it go somewhere that it could possibly get taken from the new owner and euthanasia. Sadly the law (from my understanding) does not differentiate between dwarf and normal. All they see is the species. However I don't see how the law could come back on you if you sell it and the new owner then breaks the law with it.
    Come see what's new with us at https://www.facebook.com/BFEPetsandSupply

Happy Herping!!!!

Thanks
    I feel it would be like at shows. There is no way to get proof of every buyers residency. But as a private seller I would ask where. If you know they can't you could then refuse the sale. Obviously they could lie, but you can't control that. I would state why you asked them after they replied, just in case they didn't realize the severity.
    -Meg-

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    You're selling to someone in your state where it's legal. You don't know these people so no matter where they tell you they're from, you have no way of knowing if they're telling the truth.

The ban is by species so the half dwarf is covered.

For all you know, it may be a set up, so just let them do what they want with it after the sale, don't ask where they live or where it's going to be kept (if you do ask then you're complicit) do everything nice and legal, no shipping, no crossing state lines. In this instance you are not your brothers keeper.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

cecilbturtle (03-04-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    If you are really concerned, to cover yourself you can ask to see the buyer's valid driving license with a PA address for in-person sales.