Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,332

2 members and 3,330 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Type of cage?

Thanks

Type of cage?

Need to upgrade for my ball python for his/her forever home but not sure weather to do glass tank or animal plastic type? What's pros and cons of both? Opinions? Thank you!

Thanks

Re: Type of cage?

You know what they say about opinions... I currently have one BP and he is a glass tank now. Pro: cheap. Cons are that they don't hold humidity well, can be tough to maintain proper temps, and the glass gets dirty from spraying. The cons can be ovecome, but I'm not going to go there. I got my Animal Plastics T8 cage today and just assembled it. Though I obviously don't have experience with it yet, I expect it to hold heat and humidity much better. It also looks great and I expect to stack another on top of it in the near future. It's more expensive, but is worth it for me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

A forever home to me would be a Zoo Med 40 gallon terrarium with sliding mesh top. It all depends on if you want this to be a "display animal" or not. The escaping heat/humidity can be easily fixed by replacing the mesh with plexiglas and turning the tank on it's side. It's easier than you think. Combined with a large UTH and a fluorescent lamp hung inside the cage create spot on temps and humidity that lasts for days. Here's a picture of the modification done to a Zoo Med 20 gallon long. Another plus to this method is that the tanks are stackable.

TheSnakeGuy

- Python Regius -
    1.0 Spider Mojave - "Tweak"
    0.1 Mystic Pastel - "Oracle"

Wish List . . . .someday
    Lavender Albino Pied(Dreamsicle) Ball Python
    2. Albino Burmese Python
    3. Mystic Potion Ball Python(Breeders)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheSnakeGuy For This Useful Post:

Poseidon (03-05-2013)

Thanks
    I do want this to be a display tank that's for sure. This is my only snake and probably will be for awhile because I have to many pets! But I love having views be natural and everything.

So when you say replace mesh with plexi and turn on side, do I have to turn on its side or can I just glue the plexi to the inside trim and have it be up like normal?

I want to do everything right for this snake so I'm trying get everything writing down then buying.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Aquariums are easy to clean glass is effectively water proof. They are cheap and easy to maintain. The open top represents a problem surprisingly they do no not ventilate well and lose heat and humidity. Side turning a tank is a simple effective solution to both. The big down side is weigh and not a great insulator. Hi/low vents allow superior ventilation.
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...arium-Solution

Plastic enclosures often ventilate well and hold heat and humidity reasonably well. They do not have the weight issues glass does but are harder to clean and disinfect as plastic tends be slightly porous. They also cost more usually starting in the 120$ range and going up.

Thanks
    Not to concern about price, yea cheaper is always better but I would just like something that would fit both the snakes needs and mine. Mine are easy, as long as the view is nice I like it, I just want realistic look. And I just want best for his needs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Price not with standing I would look at powerhouse, NPI, Vision, and LPracks. Powerhouse are really nice, I like the NPI and vision for the rounded corners and type of plastic more impervious that PVCx is harder too. Not that PVCx is a problem but I have some of all and the harder plastic is tougher better wearing and over all easier to deal with.

Thanks

For display cages and long-lasting toughness, Vision cages are hard to beat. We use them in the stores and I use them at home for my lizards, and they're pretty fantastic. You can do pretty much anything to them and they'll survive - even the glass is tough, I've dropped panes before and not even had a crack (I do not recommend doing this, though ).

If you want something to last the lifetime of the snake, definitely go with something plastic in nature - easy to clean, lightweight, and durable. Yes, you can make a glass tank work, but it is definitely much easier to deal with a plastic enclosure than a glass one in the long run. In my experience, anyway.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

Check out animal plastics. :thumbup:

sent from my Galaxy s3 using tapatalk2