Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,133

2 members and 2,131 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Treat a Respiratory Infection (RI) from Home. DIY

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Vets are like anything else you need to shop around and you need to be in control when it comes to what should be done.

The longer you wait the more difficult it is to treat, and your plan will only aliviate the symptoms.

You took in rescues that's great but that also mean you must be able to afford proper treatment.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    No kidding. I didn't say anywhere that I couldn't afford it. I was just looking for an alternative as stated before, before I go off and spend a ton of money. Like other people in this forum have earlier stated that it has worked for them. I do understand that vets are important but If something works than I'd like to try it out first.
    Everyone talking about finding another vet, I actually have and the prices are still pretty high compared to what you guys are telling me. I took my pet rat to my new vet (they're a popularexotic vet they have a tv show on animal planet called doctor Ks exotic animal ER) and just to treat my rats pneumonia it was around $200 for the single visit and some oral medication and it hasn't even helped so more money must be spent on some more vet visits. I have called up several exotic vets in my area and they all have the same prices (besides the one with the outrageous $800 bill).
    Like I said before, I will not hesitate to bring them to a vet, I would not have rescued them if I couldn't handle it. I would just like to try this out since it worked for so many others.
    I'm sure many of you have tried to take advil or other home remedies for your own sicknesses before scheduling for a doctors appointment to save the money that could possibly be unnecessary.
    Please do not attack me for saying this as I am stating for the numerith time that I am more than willing to take them to a vet if alternatives do not work for me.
    I will have you know that I have used a similar method including eucalyptus oil and it has so far worked a little with one of the snakes so I would like to try another method with the other before scheduling for a vet.

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterolykus View Post
    No kidding. I didn't say anywhere that I couldn't afford it. I was just looking for an alternative as stated before, before I go off and spend a ton of money. Like other people in this forum have earlier stated that it has worked for them. I do understand that vets are important but If something works than I'd like to try it out first.
    Everyone talking about finding another vet, I actually have and the prices are still pretty high compared to what you guys are telling me. I took my pet rat to my new vet (they're a popularexotic vet they have a tv show on animal planet called doctor Ks exotic animal ER) and just to treat my rats pneumonia it was around $200 for the single visit and some oral medication and it hasn't even helped so more money must be spent on some more vet visits. I have called up several exotic vets in my area and they all have the same prices (besides the one with the outrageous $800 bill).
    Like I said before, I will not hesitate to bring them to a vet, I would not have rescued them if I couldn't handle it. I would just like to try this out since it worked for so many others.
    I'm sure many of you have tried to take advil or other home remedies for your own sicknesses before scheduling for a doctors appointment to save the money that could possibly be unnecessary.
    Please do not attack me for saying this as I am stating for the numerith time that I am more than willing to take them to a vet if alternatives do not work for me.
    I will have you know that I have used a similar method including eucalyptus oil and it has so far worked a little with one of the snakes so I would like to try another method with the other before scheduling for a vet.
    I didn't read one reply to your post that was an attack in the slightest.

Good luck if that's how you respond to people giving you their advice on an open forum.

And also, you went to a vet with a tv show, that right there has price gouge written all over it. If all your local vets are charging $800 then...good luck again.

Thanks
    Way too expansive, I'd try a different vet.

Just had one of my burmese come down with a lung infection. She has very little evident symptoms, just found a few bubbles from the mouth once. Turns out the infection is in the lower respiratory tract and only the vet could understand the severity. Do not underestimate RIs.

She had a lung wash and culture of the fluid. Paid little more then 300 euros for the operation (anesthesia, wash and culture + 2 vet visits) plus 30 euros of antibiotic.
    3.10 ball python(banana spider moj enchi, lavander, spider leopard, dreamsicle, 2 pied, bumblebee, pinstripe, butter pastel, superpastel, pastel, pastave, het dreasmicle)
    1.1 boa c. imperator (albino, hypo)
    1.2 carpet python (zebra, jaguar, jungle)
    2.2 burmese python (hypo, pearl, dwarf hypo, dwarf)
    0.1 brazilian rainbow boa
    1.1 hognose (albino, tiger anaconda)
    1.1 california king (albino, chocolate stripe)
    1.1 mexican black king
    1.1 corn (caramel)
    1.1 honduran milk (albino, hypo)
    0.0.1 green tree python
    0.0.1 argentine tegu

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    It is not worth it to give advise or argue with this guy. Read his past threads. He is on his own sheet of music and needs to stop "rescuing" animals in my opinion.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    DO NOT USE oil with your snake, this is the worse thing you can actually do and yes I am well aware of what some people do or claim that works, does not mean it's true or not dangerous and oils are dangerous for snakes.

For the rest it's YOUR choice you can just keep waiting rather then get a culture and the right antibiotic, ultimately your snakes, you wanted advice you got it.

Sometimes what's right and what you want to hear are not the same thing, and that's just the bottom line.

Apparently not a first. https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ytril-use-help

Is this the same animal or do you just keep having RI because if it the same it's been long enough (Nov 2016) and if not the same animal and you keep having RI there is definitely some issues that need to be addressed. (That many RI in such a small amount of time in several animals means there is something terribly wrong that need to be handled)
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 04-05-2017 at 11:57 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Jeanne (04-06-2017)

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    It is not worth it to give advise or argue with this guy. Read his past threads. He is on his own sheet of music and needs to stop "rescuing" animals in my opinion.
    ya...just reread some of his posts...states he couldn't afford 1 snake's care less than 6 months ago, now he can foot a supposed $1600 in vet bills lol...I have to learn to read other posts first...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to predatorkeeper87 For This Useful Post:

Jeanne (04-06-2017)

Thanks

Eucalyptus oil has high levels of the same type of aromatic phenols that make even just cedar wood a dangerous choice for reptiles. It's not really a safe choice in any amount :/ Eucalyptus oil likely has at least some efficacy against microorganisms, but that same mechanism will irritate the lungs and damage the liver and kidneys. One of the biggest challenges in medicine is to get something that is targeted to the undesired organism rather than just something that is efficacious against the undesired organism but also does damage to the host. Please at least consider the potential side effects of using eucalyptus oil that can't be readily seen.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kcl For This Useful Post:

Jeanne (04-06-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by predatorkeeper87 View Post
    ya...just reread some of his posts...states he couldn't afford 1 snake's care less than 6 months ago, now he can foot a supposed $1600 in vet bills lol...I have to learn to read other posts first...
    First of all, I wasn't saying that I was being attacked. My bad if it seemed that way. I meant in future.
    Second, the snake care I was referring to back then was the $800 bill I am currently referring to.
    Third, I am not saying that I can afford a $1600 bill. You're taking my replies way out of context.
    Fourth, I said that all my vets have the same price EXCEPT the outrageous $800 bill. You should maybe double read something before replying to it.
    So yes, if I do find a vet that is around $150 like you guys are saying you have paid I am more than happy to pay. It's the $800 bill that I am reluctant on because clearly that vet overcharged on everything.

I am not ungreatful for any of yoir advice. I am not implying that I am currently being attacked (although now i feel as I am since I'm being insulted due to people taking things way out of context). I am able to care for my animals and no I do not "rescue" I rescue. I do not take in anything I cannot handle as I am stating once again that I am willing to make vet appointments with REASONABLY PRICED VETS. I will keep looking but no vet I have spoken with will give me a price estimate they all say that I must make an appointment first. So unless the only way for me to find the right vet is by paying a $75 visit fee than that's pretty ridiculous. Are there any other ways to look for price estimates?
    I am not an unreasonable person I'm just trying to get the information I'm asking for. I just don't understand how so many people earlier on have said that this method works and now suddenly people are denying it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    DO NOT USE oil with your snake, this is the worse thing you can actually do and yes I am well aware of what some people do or claim that works, does not mean it's true or not dangerous and oils are dangerous for snakes.

For the rest it's YOUR choice you can just keep waiting rather then get a culture and the right antibiotic, ultimately your snakes, you wanted advice you got it.

Sometimes what's right and what you want to hear are not the same thing, and that's just the bottom line.

Apparently not a first. https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ytril-use-help

Is this the same animal or do you just keep having RI because if it the same it's been long enough (Nov 2016) and if not the same animal and you keep having RI there is definitely some issues that need to be addressed. (That many RI in such a small amount of time in several animals means there is something terribly wrong that need to be handled)
    Thank you for the info on the oils. I had no idea and have clearly been given false information.
    I do not keep having RIs these snakes came to me from a lady who clearly took poor care of them. I honestly had no idea they were sick when I got them since I have kept them in quarantine and haven't taken them out until after quarantine was up to examine them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Also, I am not sure what post you're referring to but I have never argued with someone on how I treat my animals. I have only made two posts and for both I have been given advice and have accepted that advice. I have no idea where you are looking but you should probably stop taking everything so far out of context.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast